Confirmed Trade: [CGY/EDM] James Neal for Milan Lucic (12.5% retained) and a 2020 conditional 3rd round pick Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Does Edmonton have deeper pockets? I thought Calgary's ownership was worth more, granted their ownership group is five guys and Edmonton's is one

I mean look at their rinks and the difference... Edmonton’s was partially tax payer funded but it’s privately owned. It’s a cash cow for Katz, massive entertainment venue now not just hockey.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Yeah, but the structure is a huge deal, is it not? Like the Oilers can test drive Neal and then possibly buy him out. Seems like the Flames are stuck with Lucic regardless, and he's not getting any faster.
and he must be protected for the expansion draft

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Does Edmonton have deeper pockets? I thought Calgary's ownership was worth more, granted their ownership group is five guys and Edmonton's is one

Money is zero concern for Calgary they have multiple billionaire owners, but it isn't a concern for Katz either, but some have said that Flames ownership is not overly happy about losing money they don't have to.

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah Katz bent the CoE over so I wouldn't be surprised if his revenues are sky high.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
It was a miracle the Oilers were able to offload Lucic without giving up any substantial assets. Amazing job.

Reactions: Pointteen

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
giphy.gif

Reactions: hockeyguy1967

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
unless Calgary is playing the long con and will convince Lucic to waive for the expansion draft. in that case Calgary would be geniuses

Ementy

May 11, 2010
when I think about a trade like this, I think how it save Edmonton fans hate for the club in a few different ways.

We were sick of losing trades, losing signings, sick of losing games, sick of old boys club the list goes one, Edm has always been one of the more profitable teams.

Sure calgary loses the trade, but it was good for hockey, good for the NHL to have the oilers be competitive good for revenue and good for the battle of Alberta which will also alone bring in revenue. This is more of a it was good for the game type trades if you as me.

Reactions: MettleMcOiler

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Not sure if this has already been posted -
In salvage mission, Flames hope Milan Lucic's physical...
(Athletic subscription required)

As expected, Lucic’s NMC travelled with him in the trade.

I have yet to see a trade (since the new CBA) where a guy with an active NMC lost it. At least that I can remember anyway.
At the time of the Seattle expansion draft, Lucic’s full NMC will be 2 weeks from becoming a modified 8 team trade clause.
It’s entirely possible that he agrees to be moved around that seasons TDL if he’s asked to waive.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Why Though? Its not like they traded Lucic for a good young player or something.

They're still in the same boat in terms of cap hit (actually worse off with the retention).

I guess to me my concern with Lucic holding EDM back always was the cap hit and less so the player himself and his on ice production.
Just trading him for a player that can be bought out is a huge win. The marginal UFA's the Oilers signed this offseason are better players then Lucic at this point. Win win all around for the Oilers. Anything Neal does is gravy.

Reactions: Bedards Dad

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Why Though? Its not like they traded Lucic for a good young player or something.

They're still in the same boat in terms of cap hit (actually worse off with the retention).

I guess to me my concern with Lucic holding EDM back always was the cap hit and less so the player himself and his on ice production.

Read through the threads, Lucic is buyout proof, Neal is not. Neal also doesn’t have a NMC

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Huge win??? Jesus you poor souls in Edmonton.

You haven’t had to watch Lucic fumble pucks at the offensive blueline and move out of the screen for God knows why for the last three seasons.

If there’s even a snowball’s chance in hell that Neal can rebound, this is a huge win - and even if he can’t his buyout is so much better it’s a win anyway.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think Neal can probably score at a similar rate to Kassian in the same role. Kassian had a dismal 4 goals in 46 or 47 games (on pace for a 7 goal season) last year, with two of those goals coming in one game.

After being put on the McDavid line down the stretch for 35 games, he scored 11 goals in those games, which is a 25 goal rate.

And that was without PP time, Kassian was not on the top unit PP, so I think Neal will get that advantage over Kassian and a similar role.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With the cap pressures across the NHL these days, this kind of deal is just about the only way of getting rid of a bad contract.....you have to take one back that almost as egregious and then even consider retaining a bit of the contract you're unloading, just to get anything done.

The Oilers win this deal only because it'll be a lot easier to buy out Neal's contract when that inevitable day arrives. Lucic, on the other hand, is a salary cap anchor who's un-tradeable and who's contract is virtually buy-out proof.

So unless Lucic is miraculously a lot better in Calgary than he was in Edmonton, then the Flames just reduced their contract flexibility moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad