CFL 2024

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Closing the upper bowl makes some sense in a vacuum, but it's a gamble. I know some season seat holders that had good 55 yard line seats in the upper bowl that basically got punted to the corners for the lower bowl and a requirement to pay significantly more to get an actual good view.

I imagine the calculus is that they will draw more fans with a better atmosphere that will make up for any seat holder attrition, but it is definitely a gamble.
Yep. My friend and I were one of those. I stopped supporting them 2-3 years ago already, and my friend kept going with them until this year when they said the cost was like $100 more than what he had it back then and on the sides of the stadium. So he declined.

It's more than just the name. Off the top of my head:

- The dumb "Elks" logo that they originally promised not to introduce when they first announced the name change (whole point of a name starting with E was to keep the EE logo)

- For zero reason whatsoever they went away from the traditional gold letters/numbers on the uniforms that had been a standard since forever

- Began referring to all aspects of the organization as "Elks." "Elks legend Warren Moon; the '86 Champion Elks"

- The force feed of "antlers so cool!" type nonsense

- The dumb antlers on the helmets the first year that were mercifully changed, but not to the normal logo, but a weird hybrid substitute instead

Name and logo are a major, major part of a team's identity and history. It can't just be brushed off.

Honestly, they would have done a lot better to change absolutely nothing other than calling the team the "EE Football Club" or even just "Edmonton Football Club" and maintained every other aspect of the operation. "Esks" is the most common sense compromise that covers every base, but they chose to throw the baby out with the bathwater instead.

You also forgot that annoying obscene Elk call that people bring to the games, and play after every Touchdown...UGH. I HATE IT.

Reactions: bone and K1984

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I've already said that in a previous post. You don't exclude Cassius Clay's history from Mohammed Ali's history. Yusuf Islam doesn't exclude songs in his setlist he created as Cat Steven's.

If the team folded and went through expansion etc, I'm with you, but literally nothing changed but the name on that fateful day, and unfortunately a team of buffoons were running the ship steering it every which way but the correct way and drove it into an iceberg. Would that management team miraculously had better results without the name change... same idiots making the same decisions, so I don't see why.
As I posted earlier those are not apllicable examples IMO.
For one thing we are talking about an individual...not an organization,
There is a distinct difference.
They represent themselves and that decision only affects them as an individual...no one else.

We are talking about an organization here...an umbrella in terms of its representation and involvement within and with the city. An organization that affects everyone that works for it and has ever played for it.

This is an organization that now refuses to even use or even refer to its previous name...Eskimo and asks that every player (past and present) and every fan seperate the history from the name. The very name that every player who ever played for the team embraced.
They are ashamed of that name for reasons that they cant even properly articulate.

BTW...the team initiated no consultation of the Northern peoples (the very people that they claim were offended) before changing the name.
Any poll of the Northern Peoples that was done showed that the vast majority of them felt proud of the name. They embraced that association with the team even though the team represented a city in another part of Canada.
No consultation with the local fans either. The paying customers who have the ability to make or break this franchise.
So the justification for even changing the name was completely illegitimate.

The illegitimacy of this entire debacle really is the bottom line IMO. Its a black stain on the organization that they are so eager to overlook.

They are trying to pretend all of that doesnt matter and that everything is business as usual.
We are being asked to just ignore the obvious and embrace the rebranding and all of its dysfunction.
Its a joke IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
So did they fire all of their management and executive and get new owners. Did they release every player on the roster putting them into a dispersal draft then in turn participated in an expansion draft.

Every person working for the Eskimos on its last day, was still working for them the next day when they became the Edmonton Football Team, and everyone working for the Edmonton Football Team on its last day worked for them the first day they were the Elks. All that changed was the name, and how they promoted the team in regards to the name (ie. logos, jersey numbers, etc).

They are the same organization and the same franchise. Albeit a franchise with a tarnished legacy for how it was handled.

I'd say Ali and Stevens are very similar. They changed their names because they found the old names offensive and insisted they get referred to by their new names but didn't turn their back on their achievements (granted Yusuf Islam was kind of forced to stop performing for some times and seems a little less militant on this as he's aged).

The point I'm trying to make is the name and logo are the team's identity and history. The back office staff are honestly irrelevant.

The Baltimore Ravens still had the same roster. Still had the same staff. Still the same organization. Except it wasn't the same, because it's the Ravens and not the Browns. Other than the fact that the team hasn't physically relocated, we're talking about similar things here.

Reactions: guymez

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The point I'm trying to make is the name and logo are the team's identity and history. The back office staff are honestly irrelevant.

The Baltimore Ravens still had the same roster. Still had the same staff. Still the same organization. Except it wasn't the same, because it's the Ravens and not the Browns. Other than the fact that the team hasn't physically relocated, we're talking about similar things here.

And the logo is still here and has pretty much returned as the primary logo.

Ravens Browns is a different example, because they relocated and the league stepped in to keep the old names and colours and history from being used.

However, other relocated teams like the Jets becoming Coyotes, or Nordiques becoming Avalanche or Thrashers becoming Jets. Each of those relocation examples featured a much bigger change than just the primary name and usually included new colour schemes and new traditions, but their franchise histories followed them. Granted most of these examples aren't as interested in celebrating those achievements since they are pretty minimal.

Last edited:

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
I like the Edmonton Sellouts for a name change cause that's what they did to please the woke crowd and a big f/u to the classic bread-and-butter fan.
I was a season ticket holder and since the name change, I have not spent more than 5 minutes watching Edmonton when games are on.
They can have their politically correct fan and please the woke who have not supported them ........ps How's that going for them?

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
As I posted earlier those are not apllicable examples IMO.
For one thing we are talking about an individual...not an organization,
There is a distinct difference.
They represent themselves and that decision only affects them as an individual...no one else.

We are talking about an organization here...an umbrella in terms of its representation and involvement within and with the city. An organization that affects everyone that works for it and has ever played for it.

This is an organization that now refuses to even use or even refer to its previous name...Eskimo and asks that every player (past and present) and every fan seperate the history from the name. The very name that every player who ever played for the team embraced.
They are ashamed of that name for reasons that they cant even properly articulate.

BTW...the team initiated no consultation of the Northern peoples (the very people that they claim were offended) before changing the name.
Any poll of the Northern Peoples that was done showed that the vast majority of them felt proud of the name. They embraced that association with the team even though the team represented a city in another part of Canada.
No consultation with the local fans either. The paying customers who have the ability to make or break this franchise.
So the justification for even changing the name was completely illegitimate.

The illegitimacy of this entire debacle really is the bottom line IMO. Its a black stain on the organization that they are so eager to overlook.

They are trying to pretend all of that doesnt matter and that everything is business as usual.
We are being asked to just ignore the obvious and embrace the rebranding and all of its dysfunction.
Its a joke IMO.
I'm sure you recall why they changed the name, some of the sponsors threaten to pull if they didn't change. Boston Pizza and BelairDirect for sure, and I'm certain that both aren't sponsors of the Elks or the CFL. I might be wrong. They did consult many Indigenous people, and you are correct that many were honored they were called the Eskimos, but it was that vocal minority that had to be heard and the media ran with that. And they ultimately won. Allot of Indigenous decisions in the sports worlds and outside of it is decided by special interest groups that don't give a crap about them and probably aren't indigenous. I'll stop there.

But the Eskimos board has been taking advantage of their fan base for close to a decade now. They don't get the new generation and can't provide any entertainment value to them. They need to be sold. Edmonton is one of the more valuable franchises to the CFL still, sure they are third in attendance but they might still be first in revenue. It would be interesting to see those numbers. I'm sure that we still pay more than rest of the CFL.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Huh, the way things are going for this franchise you may as well call them the Edmonton unemployment line.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Huh, the way things are going for this franchise you may as well call them the Edmonton unemployment line.
I’m unemployed (by choice, as I’m retired) but that name is an affront to all people who proudly identify as unemployed. Where does the football club think they can usurp that fine name for their purpose?

Sponsors and focus groups made up of “specially selected” unemployed will tell you that you must change that name. They will ignore those who tell you otherwise. :)

I think the PWHL has it right. Just call your name after your city, no nickname. No one is offended by that…well, except if you’re on the Toronto team. Everyone is offended by that name.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
I’m unemployed (by choice, as I’m retired) but that name is an affront to all people who proudly identify as unemployed. Where does the football club think they can usurp that fine name for their purpose?

Sponsors and focus groups made up of “specially selected” unemployed will tell you that you must change that name. They will ignore those who tell you otherwise. :)

I think the PWHL has it right. Just call your name after your city, no nickname. No one is offended by that…well, except if you’re on the Toronto team. Everyone is offended by that name.
Well, that make two of us unemployed because of retirement ..At the end of the day if drastic moves are not made i can not see how the CFL stay afloat

Last edited:

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

I’m only semi-unemployed right now. ;)

Reactions: brentashton

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Looks like a good time to post CFL Mock Drafts:

I really like U of S linebacker Nick Wiebe who likely gets nicked a bit recovering from knee injury. Can see the Riders go offensive line first round and ideally slip in Wiebe second or even third round. Manu looks like a pretty good OL from a really good UBC line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad