OT: CF Montréal: L'Ère de Courtoisie

SupRocket

Jul 12, 2022
There is also an history of Quebec players not getting paid what they are worth with the club, both Piette and Bernier had their issues negotiating contracts. Same is true for Wilfrid Nancy if you include staffers.

I regret having already purchased the MLS season pass. Saputo is not getting a single dollar from me anymore

Deux de Coeurs

May 6, 2024
The ongoing events at CF Montreal take me back to something that happened maybe 5 years ago. I was unfortunately spending some time in jail, and time was long there, so I tuned the TV to watch the Impact back then. A guy who I knew to be a prominent Montreal gang leader came to me laughing: "don't tell me you're watching that stupid team? Let me tell you one thing, the truest of all things, you wanna know what the Impact really is? A way for the Montreal mafia to launder money, that's it!"

I have to admit that at the time I didn't give his take full credit, but over the years simpling reading headlines about this team the truth has become clear to me.

Don't worry guys, I am using a VPN. ;)

Last edited:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
PKP would love to buy it, I’m sure. Then he’ll build a new complex that will host both Als and Impact (he’s gonna go back to the old name).
With what money? He can't even pay for a couple preseason hockey games himself. I'd want an owner who actually has a clue about the sport, for one. There has to be more than one paisan with a little money in Montreal. Heck, if were only looking for a money guy, Molson should buy it.

Stanley Cup

Bettman's ice bucket
Jul 15, 2010
Québec
PKP would love to buy it, I’m sure. Then he’ll build a new complex that will host both Als and Impact (he’s gonna go back to the old name).
It would make sense if he could find a way to withdraw from the AppleTV deal. He wants the content on his channels. Also we're always the free game of the week, no one cares about us at Apple.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
With what money? He can't even pay for a couple preseason hockey games himself. I'd want an owner who actually has a clue about the sport, for one. There has to be more than one paisan with a little money in Montreal. Heck, if were only looking for a money guy, Molson should buy it.
Lol, you think PKP isn’t absolutely loaded?

I prefer my owners to not be involved with the business so that experienced manager can run the sports side of the team.

Pretty much like he did with the Als.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Lol, you think PKP isn’t absolutely loaded?

I prefer my owners to not be involved with the business so that experienced manager can run the sports side of the team.

Pretty much like he did with the Als.
Nowhere near loaded enough. He's not investing any actual money on something he can't put on his lame duck sports channel anyway, it's a nonstarter. The CFL team he got for chump change, Saputo would be looking for quite a lot more to sell.

For reference, Forbes values the team at 470 millions right now and the franchises are all going way up. Saputo could ask for a lot more than we might think. That's if he's actually looking to sell, obviously. This might all be baseless speculation in the end.

Last edited:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
He's not a paisan.

• Haha
Reactions: TRG

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
It's always been my dream to see an MLSE type structure get put together with all the pro teams and infrastructure in Montreal under the same umbrella. Molson is the one guy who could potentially do it, alone or in a group. That's what I'd like to see, all the pro sport money and leverage to get things done in one giant pool. Stuff like an NBA team and a baseball team coming back gets a lot more likely and doable with that in place. Montreal could be a true major league sport city again.

Last edited:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
This is why I shouldn't post before having my coffee.

I 100% had it in my head he was talking about Saputo. Why? I have no idea since he's obviously Italian but yeah, I'm an idiot.
I quoted your post where you hadn't had your coffee yet. I'll do you a solid and delete it. That way it'll only be you and me and the lamp post who will know you need caffeine in the morning.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Yesterday all the podcast/media guys had a 2 hr discussion on everything. I think Filosa has it down to a T. Nobody in in the bussiness sector wants to buy soccer. Saputo is preparing to sell to the states.

Now more than ever since the new stadium project is dead (it was all BS imo anyway).

Reactions: dinodebino

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
Yesterday all the podcast/media guys had a 2 hr discussion on everything. I think Filosa has it down to a T. Nobody in in the bussiness sector wants to buy soccer. Saputo is preparing to sell to the states.

Now more than ever since the new stadium project is dead (it was all BS imo anyway).
Would be unfortunate since soccer has big growth potential imo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad