OT: CF Montréal: L'Ère de Courtoisie

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Geez The Renardsexuals are having a meltdown :laugh:

Renard was MID At best. Good riddance, he knew his time was up because his team was falling apart. The reason why this team is average, let me say, is because of its fanbase. 'Settling for less' mentality. The whole low wages scheme does work in MLS, it has been working with the NYRB for a decade, IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.

Renard brought in Hamdi, Johnsen, Thorkellson, Offor, Torres, Struna, Kizza, Lassi (permanently), Miljevic, Hernan Losada and they all have been FAILURES and EXPENSIVE. He hit a home run with Nancy but it's not like he had better options. Vassili will now take over and will do just great (he's been dealing with MLS trades), he's been ready.

Now for Filosa/Marinaro and the rest of the whole 'Saputo will sell the team' crew. Saputo turned Bologna from a bottom Serie A/B to a CL team. That's something 100s of teams aspire to do. You don't accomplish that by being a doofus. But if your Sporting Director can't spot out international talent the correct way, obv you'll have less drive to spend onwards. Ironically Bologna are that good because of their INT scouting.

This year Wanyama and Josef are making millions of dollars in this team, with Josef on top, season tickets sold out for the 1st time in its history. So let's put this whole 'this team will move' narrative out of the door for the foreseeable future and stop the havoc on social media for no reason & this is coming from one of the first that came up with 'Cheaputo' nickname.

I'm indebted to Saputo for bringing professional soccer to Montreal and eventually having them enter the MLS. But it really sucks when you have expansion teams coming in one after the other for years now with owners willing to spend money, particularly in player personnel.

They also invest in big stadiums, but I'm not too jealous of that because I actually enjoy the intimacy of Saputo Stadium. But working under Joey is probably how Dorion felt working under Eugene Melnyk. You're working at a disadvantage because of the internal budget.

I was in Miami and went to Inter Miami - NYRB game on Saturday (saw one older guy with an Impact jersey) and let me tell you I used to shit on the Stadium a lot but their stadium is absolutely horrible. Yes, I know it's not their permanent stadium but their stadium has no public transportation, so you gotta have a car. The parking cost us $50 and it's located in the middle of nowhere in Fort Lauderdale next to a random airport, so you see some small planes every 15 minutes, it sort of gives you a Top Gun vibe. The seats are very tight (If you're taller it won't be pleasant).

Aesthetically, it does look nice but I take Saputo Stadium over Chase any day of the week, but community wise I take the Miami atmosphere over Mtl. Ppl are friendly and you talk to everyone, I felt in Buenos Aires though ... :laugh:

Last edited:

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Still, it's an easy investment to make money on. Saputo paid 40M$USD expansion fee, 24M$CAD (rest was the government) and has lost a couple of millions every year. His team is worth 440M$USD at the minimum.

Quick math tells me there's nothing to cry about here.

I wish we had some other rich people who are interested in running or investing in a sports franchise. Actually, I wish we could have a sócios system like in some countries (even a 50+1 like on Germany) but yeah.

We don't have a visionary business class here. It's been shown time and time again.

Link to the discussion :

We could put a battery factory under the stadium, maybe it would attract investment :)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I was in Miami and went to Inter Miami - NYRB game on Saturday (saw one older guy with an Impact jersey) and let me tell you I used to shit on the Stadium a lot but their stadium is absolutely horrible. Yes, I know it's not their permanent stadium but their stadium has no public transportation, so you gotta have a car. The parking cost us $50 and it's located in the middle of nowhere in Fort Lauderdale next to a random airport, so you see some small planes every 15 minutes, it sort of gives you a Top Gun vibe. The seats are very tight (If you're taller it won't be pleasant).

Aesthetically it does look nice but I take Saputo Stadium over Chase any day of the week, but community wise I take the Miami atmosphere over Mtl. Ppl are friendly and you talk to everyone, I felt in Buenos Aires though ... :laugh:

For me, even the 50-60+ seat soccer specific stadiums some of these expansion teams are building doesn't make me envy them. There is a charm to Stade Saputo and I'm more than happy with it being smaller and more intimate.

What I am envious of is their owners willing to spend on players. OR did as well as he could under the budgetary constraints he was dealing with. I'm sure it could get frustrating when you want to spend but are held back.

Reactions: ThaDevilGirl

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
FWIW, it would take Joey all of 5 minutes to set everything right again, if he could be bothered to actually show up and adress stuff frankly and openly. I can accept a lot of things as a sports fan, when people tell me about them and aren't obviously BSing me. Treating your fanbase with a minimum of respect can go a real long way.

Last edited:

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
For me, even the 50-60+ seat soccer specific stadiums some of these expansion teams are building doesn't make me envy them. There is a charm to Stade Saputo and I'm more than happy with it being smaller and more intimate.

What I am envious of is their owners willing to spend on players. OR did as well as he could under the budgetary constraints he was dealing with. I'm sure it could get frustrating when you want to spend but are held back.

Stade Saputo still needs to be upgraded. It's a high school stadium.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012

The problem with Renard is that he spent poorly on multiple Int players that HE himself brought. If I'm the owner and I witness such poor signatures, I'd also be wary of giving 600k to my local player that only has an assist, no goal in 10 games. Let's be honest, no teams in MLS would give Choiniere 600k. The comparison with Osorio is crazy, when Osorio was 25, he was making 191k and he was a NT regular.

I have more much faith in Saputo than Renard, as mentioned he turned Bologna from a joke to a Champions League team. We need a better Sporting Director capable of detecting talents.

John Herdman brought in a defender and 2 midfielders. The defender is Gomis and he's TFC's best defender, where did he play before ? Sheffield UTD reserves.

Our equivalent would be Ahmed Hamdi.

Reactions: Habnot

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
Lot of old stuck in the 80's white dudes who can't even conceive of anything outside of hockey in the local business landscape I'm afraid.
I have yet to understand why uber rich people don’t invest in/own major sports teams in this province.

It is the only investment in the world where no matter if there’s a war, recession, inflation, or pandemic , you are still guaranteed to make double to triple (if not more) more than what you paid for it and the longer you hold on to it and more successful it is, the higher the ROI.

Especially MLS where the league is on the verge of exploding in popularity

I remember a business teacher telling the class once many many years ago that Americans are just simply better at business than we are. They know how to put the right people in place and see the big picture. They are willing to take risks and work harder to keep increasing the business value and longevity

Here its make a little money by investing as little capital and energy as possible and at the first sign of adversity or competition take the money and run

Last edited:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I have yet to understand why uber rich people don’t invest in/own major sports teams in this province.

It is the only investment in the world where no matter if there’s a war, recession, inflation, or pandemic , you are still guaranteed to make double to triple (if not more) more than what you paid for it and the longer you hold on to it and more successful it is, the higher the ROI.

Especially MLS where the league is on the verge of exploding in popularity

I remember a business teacher telling the class once many many years ago that Americans are just simply better at business than we are. They know how to put the right people in place and see the big picture. They are willing to take risks and work harder to keep increasing the business value and longevity

Here its make a little money by investing as little capital and energy as possible and at the first sign of adversity or competition take the money and run
In this specific case, I think the main problem is that soccer is still this weird, exotic concept to most of them. They just don't get the sport to begin with.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
BPM, who owns broadcast rights to the CF, suspends its driveshow host indefinitely.

Jeez, it’s the Wild West. Wondering who the orders came from …

Last edited:

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
BPM, who owns broadcast rights to the CF, suspends its driveshow host indefinitely.

Jeez, it’s the Wild West. Wondering who the orders came from …

He said what we all know.

tumblr_mpxzy0KiZx1rgewb2o3_250.gif

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Agreed. Nobody wanted to buy the Canadiens when Gillett bought the team. Only when him and his team rehabilitated the brand, did local businessmen suddenly want to invest in it.

Bronfmann could've saved the Expos for 100M. The Nats are now worth 2 Billion. I think the government is also notoriously Karen-esque when it comes to helping their franchises out.

Anyone who buys a team in this city is f***ing crazy. Thankfully Molson grew up wearing habs pyjamas 'cause the team would probably be playing in Portland or something.

Last edited:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Agreed. Nobody wanted to buy the Canadiens when Gillett bought the team. Only when him and his team rehabilitated the brand, did local businessmen suddenly want to invest in it.
Hard cap + 1.10 exchange rate + lucrative local TV deal in 2009 meant guaranteed profits for Habs vs free market pricing + 1.55 exchange rate in Jan 2001

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Hard cap + 1.10 exchange rate + lucrative local TV deal in 2009 meant guaranteed profits for Habs vs free market pricing + 1.55 exchange rate in Jan 2001
Gillett also started Gillett Entertainment Group which is now Evenko. That brought significant value to the Canadiens brand.

Molson has just been riding the gravy train that Gillett and Pierre Boivin have built.

Stanley Cup

Bettman's ice bucket
Jul 15, 2010
Québec
Gillett also started Gillett Entertainment Group which is now Evenko. That brought significant value to the Canadiens brand.

Molson has just been riding the gravy train that Gillett and Pierre Boivin have built.
He did leverage the CH brand to build real estate. It's a new trend, see every team looking to move deep into suburbs to build entertainment districts alongside.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
I don't think I've ever seen as much negative comments on their publications as this one. It's getting savaged on both IG and FB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad