Confirmed with Link: Cervenka signs 3 year deal with SKA (KHL)

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Who cares. He has talent, but he's soft. I want this team to get bigger/stronger.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Isn't he technically still under contract to the Calgary Flames until July 4th?

From a poor translation of this website:

Roman Cervenka to the SKA!
SKA has signed a contract with the striker "Calgary" Roman Cervenka. In the CHL rights owned by Czech striker HC "Lion." In Prague SKA team moved forward Teemu Ramstedt, as "Lion" has the right to a defense attorney Michal Jordan, selected in the fourth round draft pick in 2009.

Roman Cervenka - a graduate of the Prague "Slavia", for which he played for 10 seasons. In 2010, the striker moved to the "Vanguard" and became the top scorer in the CHL, scoring 31 washer. For three consecutive seasons Cervenka scored more than one point per game. Forward leading scorer in the Czech championship and participated twice in the NHL All-Star Game. In 2009, the new SKA won gold medals in the World Cup in the Czech national team, and the following year won the bronze medal tournament. This season in the "Lion" and "Calgary" Roman Cervenka spent 44 games and scored 20 (10 +10) points.

Agreement with the Czech hockey player designed for three years.SKA forward to join the team after the holiday.

СКА Source: Press Service of the SKA

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I would of liked to see him brought back, but I'm not gonna lose much sleep over it. However, I do think he had more to give.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Yeah that doesn't surprise me. He never really fit in. He did provide some goals for Calgary and head a deadly shot but other than that nothing stood out. Not a team player and horrendous in the defensive zone.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Oh well. We have enough wingers anyway. He never did get those bonuses, did he?

Also, I wonder if this will influence the Flames not to draft Nichushkin.

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
Haha!:

Mike Halford ‏@HalfordPHT 12m

Cervenka's memories of his one and only NHL season: "Lockout, 48 games in 99 days, and my team traded away all the good players at the end."

EDIT: Turns out it's not real

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
At least he didn't go to another NHL team. If he actually played center like we were originally told then I'd be upset. But he wasn't; and we have other left wingers.

TylerSVT*

this is an example of why the KHL factor is real

?

He was brutal, couldnt hack the pace or the intensity of the play. His team traded away their best players and basically packed it in the last 1/2 of the season.

I dont blame him for wanting to go back. Moved away from his home, to a country where he doesnt speak the language, after just getting married.

No harm done, good luck Roman.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
I still don't understand what happened with Cervenka. I know the story goes that the Flames signed him to be a Top 2 center and upon arrival he told the coaching staff he was more comfortable as a winger, but that story doesn't make sense to me. Either the Flames scouts weren't doing their homework and signed a guy who played wing to play center. But he DID play center for a while, because it was Jaromir Jagr who talked about him centring their line. So, did he just get to North America and decide he didn't want to play center anymore?! Can anyone shed some light?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I still don't understand what happened with Cervenka. I know the story goes that the Flames signed him to be a Top 2 center and upon arrival he told the coaching staff he was more comfortable as a winger, but that story doesn't make sense to me. Either the Flames scouts weren't doing their homework and signed a guy who played wing to play center. But he DID play center for a while, because it was Jaromir Jagr who talked about him centring their line. So, did he just get to North America and decide he didn't want to play center anymore?! Can anyone shed some light?
It was the coaching staff's decision not to play him at centre. Basically, their assessment was that he wasn't very good at playing centre; more specifically, the defensive responsibilities involved therein. It also didn't help that he came to North America and was ill with his blood clots and couldn't participate in any practices with the team prior to the start of the shortened season. That he was suspected to be a bit out of game shape due to lack of training (resulting from his illness) when he arrived didn't help much either.

A full training camp, a full season, and a clean bill of health might have resulted in a completely different outcome from this signing.

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
It was nice having him in Calgary, I'll cheer him on in the future if I get to see him play again. :) He chose a bad year to join though, I wonder what kind of an impact would he have made if he joined at the start of last year's season.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

His blood clot played a huge role in it imo. He couldn't work out for months and missed the entire training camp. It was pretty clear he was out of shape and couldn't keep pace with nhl hockey. As for the center issue he was used at center in the KHL but only saw offensive time there as there were concerns over his defensive game and it showed here to. Due to poor conditioning and already being mediocre at best defensively he told the coaching staff he would prefer to play wing over center.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
His blood clot played a huge role in it imo. He couldn't work out for months and missed the entire training camp. It was pretty clear he was out of shape and couldn't keep pace with nhl hockey. As for the center issue he was used at center in the KHL but only saw offensive time there as there were concerns over his defensive game and it showed here to. Due to poor conditioning and already being mediocre at best defensively he told the coaching staff he would prefer to play wing over center.

Feaster also indicated before the season started that they knew that the kind of centre he played in the KHL was different than the type of centre which we're used to in the NHL.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
He had the ability to a ~50 point winger in the NHL but the lockout, health issues and roster issues hindered his performance. But really, he's simply too redundant in the Flames system. Wouldn't have minded him coming back for another season if some other wingers were moved, but I'm not particularly concerned that he decided to go back to his family.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad