Central Scouting Publishes its Final List of QMJHL eligible draftees (Espo #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
mooseOAK said:
As an FYI, Brad Malone is Ryan Malone's cousin and is supposed to go to US college next season.

Brad Malone hasn't decided yet between juniors and NCAA. If he does take the college route though...it won't be until 2007, not next year. He is only a sophomore at Cushing.

GoSSCHgo

Apr 3, 2005
The sleeper in this draft is EEM defenceman Nicholas Goyens. He's 6'3 , 200 and skates like the wind and the scouts in the Q like him because he's an intimidator -- he'll go into the corner 1-on-1, 1-on-2, 1-on-3 etc, totally fearless and he was the best (sorry Simon) point shot in the league this year. He's a complete Major Junior package right now, and whoever picks him gets a finished product. As for the CSR rating him in the sixth round. . .the scouts are laughing. . .very quietly . . .because each guy wants to steal him early.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
GoSSCHgo said:
The sleeper in this draft is EEM defenceman Nicholas Goyens. He's 6'3 , 200 and skates like the wind and the scouts in the Q like him because he's an intimidator -- he'll go into the corner 1-on-1, 1-on-2, 1-on-3 etc, totally fearless and he was the best (sorry Simon) point shot in the league this year. He's a complete Major Junior package right now, and whoever picks him gets a finished product. As for the CSR rating him in the sixth round. . .the scouts are laughing. . .very quietly . . .because each guy wants to steal him early.

He should have been picked last year as an underage :)

Really good defensmen, he does it all.

Goyens still needs some work, he has the skill but the work ethic needs to improve. If that improves, the sky is the limit for Nicholas.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
I was also going to say that Goyens in the sixth round is an absolute ****ing joke, Biega's rank as well. Hell people were surprised when Begin did well in the Q this year, I sure as hell wasn't.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Leachmeister2000 said:
I was also going to say that Goyens in the sixth round is an absolute ****ing joke, Biega's rank as well. Hell people were surprised when Begin did well in the Q this year, I sure as hell wasn't.

Eric Begin?? He is decent.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
La-La-Laprise said:
Eric Begin?? He is decent.

that's what i meant to say. No one expected him to play this well as last year he was overshadowed by all the mega talented CCL forwards.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Leachmeister2000 said:

yes Biega IMO is better than 95% of the players ranked for the 1st round in the draft. The other joke is Logan MacMillan in the 4th round...the guy is a top 10 talent for the draft and CSR puts him 4th round :confused:

if team gets to take Michael Biega in the 2nd round and Logan MacMillan in the 3rd or 4th I would say they had the best draft of anyone.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
scoutman1 said:
yes Biega IMO is better than 95% of the players ranked for the 1st round in the draft. The other joke is Logan MacMillan in the 4th round...the guy is a top 10 talent for the draft and CSR puts him 4th round :confused:

if team gets to take Michael Biega in the 2nd round and Logan MacMillan in the 3rd or 4th I would say they had the best draft of anyone.

They were underscouted. CSR also forgot about Eric Filiou and Jordan Dewey, both play at Notre Dame as well. ALL 3 should be drafted, 90% sure of that and only 1 was listed (MacMillan). They probably just underscouted Notre Dame, that is what I assume anyway.

Rimouski will take Biega 18th overall anyway if no one else picks him.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
La-La-Laprise said:
They were underscouted. CSR also forgot about Eric Filiou and Jordan Dewey, both play at Notre Dame as well. ALL 3 should be drafted, 90% sure of that and only 1 was listed (MacMillan). They probably just underscouted Notre Dame, that is what I assume anyway.

Rimouski will take Biega 18th overall anyway if no one else picks him.

I agree, with Alex Biega already drafted and then possibly Michael being drafted by them I think that would almost gurantee both of them comming up next year to the QMJHL. I also think PEI will select Logan MacMillan in the 1st round, him being a potential franchise player and from PEI I can see it myself.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
scoutman1 said:
I agree, with Alex Biega already drafted and then possibly Michael being drafted by them I think that would almost gurantee both of them comming up next year to the QMJHL. I also think PEI will select Logan MacMillan in the 1st round, him being a potential franchise player and from PEI I can see it myself.

PEI pick 5th overall. They need defensmen, but they may opt to take the home town kid early.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
I don't think Macmillan despite his great talent will be a top 5 pick. I think PEI should do well to picka defenseman, whoever's on board at 5 should have an immediate impact.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Leachmeister2000 said:
I don't think Macmillan despite his great talent will be a top 5 pick. I think PEI should do well to picka defenseman, whoever's on board at 5 should have an immediate impact.

The way I figure it is PEI will have a good pick of any type of dman they want.

The following D should all be available:

Stephen Lund (Physical)
Nicolas Sigouin (2 way)
Simon Danis-Pepin (Offensive)

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
La-La-Laprise said:
The way I figure it is PEI will have a good pick of any type of dman they want.

The following D should all be available:

Stephen Lund (Physical)
Nicolas Sigouin (2 way)
Simon Danis-Pepin (Offensive)

My guess is that they'll need someone to carry the play though I've been less than impressed with the limited viewing I've had so far of Pepin.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Leachmeister2000 said:

hard to pass up a local great talent though to get people involved with the team more though. There is always the 2nd round for decent d-men imo like Ben MacAskill and guys like that.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
scoutman1 said:
hard to pass up a local great talent though to get people involved with the team more though. There is always the 2nd round for decent d-men imo like Ben MacAskill and guys like that.

I suppose, at any rate, any player selected in a junior draft will eventually make the team within 2 years, so yeah drafting Macmillan should boost up seats provided that he performs really well.

GoSSCHgo

Apr 3, 2005
Big with three speeds: slow, slower and you-need-to-time-him-with-an-HGWells-time machine slow.

MU_Beerman

May 20, 2004
wow that prospect list reads like a whos who of hockey bloodlines: Del Vecchio, Messier, Lafleur, Espo, some big names there

GoSSCHgo

Apr 3, 2005
Yup, my maternal grandmother was a Messier and her slapshot sucked :) And how about that, for the second time in two decades, Quebec hockey doesn't know how to handle a center named Esposito.

And look for some big surprises during the Q draft. Most of the online services have done pretty well with their W and O selections, but what really screws up Quebec is the Quebec-Maritime split. Maritime scouts never see the Q players, and the same goes for the Quebec guys.

Trying to assess the players on the other side is a joke. I see some Maritime players rated highly, and then I recall what I saw at the Drummondville tournament where Halifax and Dartmouth were highly unimpressive, teamwise and individually.

The crossover is brutal: some Maritime guys are in the top 18 (Round 1) and don't deserve to be; and, conversely, some of the Maritime scouts will argue that some Q guys are smoke and mirrors and that Q scouts are biased against Maritimers.

Multiply that by the first five rounds and you see a recipe for disaster.

Bruno8

Jun 14, 2002
East Coast
Visit site
scoutman1 said:
I have heard that Esposito will report to the QMJHL if he gets a good school package. This IMO would leave teams like Halifax, Quebec, Gatineau as the main and the next set being teams like Moncton, Cape Breton, Saint John and Saint Johns and Rimouski.

I find this list very bad IMO. Michael Biega, and Logan MacMillan should both be in the 1st round. Other names I can't belive are so low are guys like Marc-Andre Laroche and Ben MacAskill. Michael Biega IMO after Esposito is the 2nd best offensive talent in the draft and who ever picks him late and if he reports other teams are going to be left shaking their heads in disapointment on why they never picked him. IMO Beiga would go 2nd overall if he was 100% sure that he was comming up.

I've seen Michael Biega several times this year and IMO he is not a first round pick.
His brother Alex was a first round pick and deserved to be so. Michael may be ok down the road, but I feel he couldn't play in the Q next year even if he wanted to.
Esposito is many times better than Michael is at this point.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
GoSSCHgo said:
Yup, my maternal grandmother was a Messier and her slapshot sucked :) And how about that, for the second time in two decades, Quebec hockey doesn't know how to handle a center named Esposito.

And look for some big surprises during the Q draft. Most of the online services have done pretty well with their W and O selections, but what really screws up Quebec is the Quebec-Maritime split. Maritime scouts never see the Q players, and the same goes for the Quebec guys.

Trying to assess the players on the other side is a joke. I see some Maritime players rated highly, and then I recall what I saw at the Drummondville tournament where Halifax and Dartmouth were highly unimpressive, teamwise and individually.

The crossover is brutal: some Maritime guys are in the top 18 (Round 1) and don't deserve to be; and, conversely, some of the Maritime scouts will argue that some Q guys are smoke and mirrors and that Q scouts are biased against Maritimers.

Multiply that by the first five rounds and you see a recipe for disaster.

The D'ville tounrment is just that, a short tournement. You cant assess talent acuratly using a short string of games. That is why i hate it when a player has a really good CSR challenge and all the scouts start jumping on thier bandwagon. Or a player has a poor weekend and they drop.

And I agree the Q draft is entirely a crap-shoot. Look at past drafts and past rankings and it isnt easy to figure out that rankings mean nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad