GDT: CDSF Game 1 | Predators vs. Blackhawks | 7:30pm CT | NBCSN, SN 360, TVA Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
This loss sucked for the preds. You can't go up 3-0 after 20 minutes chase the goalie and then lose. Especially in double OT.

This is gonna be like the documentary "the summit"

Lives will be lost, fingers pointing for blame and no clear winner, except K2 or Lord Stanley.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
Yeah that's exactly what I did :shakehead

Actually , it is. You admitted it.

Either way to keep the thread on track.

Coach Q made adjustments Lavi did not. Lavi continued his bad work ethic into the 2nd period and cost the preds game.

Phil housely still sucks being in charge of the PP.

cleangene63

Jan 25, 2006
Beautiful Bellevue
Next to Darling being 1st Star of the Game, I'd nominate as 2nd Star - the Preds front office. It was incredibly nice not to be outnumbered, nor out noised by so much red at this game. What the ticket policy was which went into effect gains many thumbs up.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
Next to Darling being 1st Star of the Game, I'd nominate as 2nd Star - the Preds front office. It was incredibly nice not to be outnumbered, nor out noised by so much red at this game. What the ticket policy was which went into effect gains many thumbs up.

It's been established to keep that to the ticket thread, but since you opened the door.

It shouldn't have come to this. Preds fans should be paying to come in.

Were you at the game? I ate 3 113level tockets and several people were straight giving away tickets at rippys.

So I'm glad that nashvillians as a whole found it to be a better night out for free or 15 dollars than a movie.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
Where I was at and where I met fellow fans there at least 2 metro police officers at each hallway which has never been the case before.

Who's paying that?

On twitter a preds twitted out a hawks fans got kicked out for throwing a free shirt.

At least 10 pred fans did the same in my row when hawks tied it up. No one arrested.

Anyways Point is. The nashville fan base isn't wiling to pay face value for tickets.

Did you know there were student rush and military tickets?

Total bait and switch from the agreement set forth from TM. onCe you got your tickets you had to have them scanned or no entry regardless if the whole party was there.

Stupid.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
How come Franson and Santorelli aren`t in the line-up? I`m a Leafs` fan and I can`t find that info anywhere.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I don't know, maybe it isn't bothering me as bad because I expected us to lose the series. I'll be honest, I'm surprised we played as well as we did.

Oh and from an entertainment stand point, other fan bases were watching the heck out of this game. Every place I've been has had " are you seeing this Nashville/Chicago game, its freaking insane". Not much Solace I know but hey, at least we put on a good show?

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
God I despise that franchise. Would have loved to have seen a replay on Weber getting smashed face first into the boards because that at minimum looked like a 2 minute penalty.

The good news is Rinne looked like the good Rinne. The only goal that he should've had was the Toews PP goal. Everything else was either screened, down 2 men or really bad defense.

The bad news is we couldn't do a thing against Darling. Some great saves by him. Any other goalie and we probably score twice at minimum in the 3rd. Same story in OT.

No, he really didn't - he was fighting the puck most of the night, didn't have his normal rebound control. He was anticipating the play and tracking the puck better though. He played well enough, you can't take those penalties.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I'm disappointed in two things. The PP has to convert when we are tied in the third or in OT. Plain and simple. The puck movement was there, the setups were there too but the finish wasn't. Have to capitalize at key moments in games and we didn't.

At the NHL for allowing refs like last night's to call the game. Ekholm gets called for a cross check along the boards which was iffy at best yet not much later in the game Weber gets boarded in his own end, goes in to the boards awkwardly and there is no call. I find it funny that playoff time comes with a more physicality is happening on the ice yet they call the ticky tac stuff yet obvious penalties are ignored. The cross check to Josi's head in the first being a no call was also amazing in the sense there was no call.

It's hard enough to play any team in the NHL but when you're playing against 10 guys on the ice, it's ridiculous.

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
I was there with my son last night. I have only attended 4 games in person this year before this. Now 3 OT losses. In every game the script was familiar.
Jump out to an early multi-goal lead.
Out shoot and out chance the other team by a wide margin over the course of the game, except for one period.
Allow the other team to tie the game, then take take control again without scoring.
Lose in OT.
This is just since January, mind you-- I don't understand how COACHING has not addressed this issue.

On officiating, I have a perspective. My son played rec, high school, and still plays in an adult league, and he actually did some officiating. On the way home last night I talked to him about my view and it aligns perfectly with his. The officials should set a CONSISTENT standard thru the course of a game on how they are going to call penalties. If they are cracking down on stick infractions, they need to call it the same in minute 1 as they do in minute 19. On interference, boarding, hooking, etc. The ONLY time they slide the scale is when a game is getting out of control with dangerous plays, violent hits, successive fights, etc. Then they call a few to reign in the players and get control of the flow of the game. If they don't do this, players have no idea what they can or can't do, and you end up encouraging slashes, checks that cause concussions, boarding, and DIVING, when players want a power play.

I think last night the officials were wildly inconsistent on what was and was not a penalty, especially in overtime. Blackhawks players have more experience in that situation and they exploited it, not to mention the fact they have so many 'star' players, and we all know they get the benefit of the doubt if there is even a smidge of room for judgement. I guarantee if that had been Toews instead of Beck on that breakout and Ekholm pulled him down, that is at least a penalty, if not a penlaty shot, playoff OT or no.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
No, he really didn't - he was fighting the puck most of the night, didn't have his normal rebound control. He was anticipating the play and tracking the puck better though. He played well enough, you can't take those penalties.

He looked alright to me on TV. He wasn't giving up easy rebounds in the slot. He wasn't dipping his shoulder and looked tall in net. He may not be all the way back but last night was as good as he's looked in a while.

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
..And in spite of my rant on awful officiating, this team still had it in their grasp to win this game. As good as Wilson was last night, how many times did he try the close in jam play on Darling, when it wasn't there? The guy was NOT giving up much of anything down low. For pete's sake, there has to be a book on Darling by now, figure out how to attack him, so when he gets back in net you know his weaknesses! And carry the puck in the zone, the Hawks are going to close off the boards-- why give up possession???

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Darling is the same as any decent goalie, you gotta get the puck up. On Ellis' PP chance, Darling said himself he saw the play coming so made the move to cover the bottom. He even said if Ellis gets the puck up its in the net.

If you watch many replays in the NHL, you will notice one thing, if you are going to beat the best goalies you have to get them down and then go high. Even the almighty Carey Price gets beat that way.

We do a pretty good job of getting the puck on net, what we don't do a good job of is placing shots. Ours tend to be in the legs and chest. Watch the best goal scorers and you will notice a pattern. Ovi has a nasty one timer he can put in top corners. Kane can put a puck anywhere, and Stamkos also puts it high into corners.

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
I was travelling on business for two days, came back last night, played with my kids, got them to bed, and started watching the game at 11 pm (DVR). I had to stay up until 2 am to see us lose. I'd say that I am disappointed, but also encouraged.

We dominated the first period and were the better team in the 3rd and OT periods. We were the more physical team. Pekka looked good again. We lost because we took too many penalties in the second period, plain and simple. You can't give a team like CHI all of those PP chances in the playoffs; especially one after another, a 5-on-3, etc.

On the negative side, blowing a 3 goal lead at home is inexcusable. The back-up goalie curse strikes again. Fish being out really hurts our line-up in many ways.

No team is going to win 16 straight to win the Cup. We can rebound, but Game 2 is now a must win.

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
How come Franson and Santorelli aren`t in the line-up? I`m a Leafs` fan and I can`t find that info anywhere.

Franson is the Preds 4th best right handed d-man, and unfortunately neither Jones or Ellis have looked good playing the left side. While Franson is better than Volchenkov, the combination of Franson and Ellis or Jones playing on the wrong side is a net loss.

Santorelli just plain sucks.

Both have been given ample opportunity to earn their keep, but neither has responded. Terrible trade for us!:cry:

Jul 12, 2007
The upside is that the Preds outplayed the Hawks for about 75 minutes.

But Lavy & the team went into Trotz mode for most of the 2nd period. Just forgot they were in the playoffs until they got slapped back to reality.

They've got to figure out how to bury the great plays and shots in the slot; that was a flashback to the last 15 years also. Coulda had 2 or 3 more goals that almost scored themselves, and basically only gave up "seeing eye" goals to CHI.

All in all a promising night, but they have to solve these 2 or 3 classic problems Friday FTW, or they may only win 1 or zero games.

Can't complain too badly in that the Preds are full of young guys that haven't been there before, and CHI is stocked full of guys with rings from CHI cups, and several other teams like Hossa.

roseyc

Mar 23, 2010
I hope they play Darling again over Crawford. He's not as good as he looked The other shoe will drop if we can keep our heads up and not let this get us down then they got all the calls. They did enough complaining that the refs sucked up. The non call in overtime was horrendous. If that were the Hawks in their building it would have been a penalty shot. We have to fight the Hawks and refs and the league. We can play with this team they are not as good as the winning teams they are diving shows now how they play their game

dualradius

Jun 6, 2010
Hawks fan here. Nashville deserved to win last night - Darling stole it.

Preds played well overall, BUT... neither team very likely to win the cup IMO. Blackhawks are simply too weak on the blue line - about one defenseman short. Oduya is awfully slow now and struggles non-stop in own zone, and Seabrook looks like he's hitting the pipe between shifts. And that's your 3 and 4 defensemen.

Blackhawks simply don't have enough - win this series or not.

jstreet

LETS GO PREDS
Jan 15, 2004
FL via Nashville
www.twitter.com
Hawks fan here. Nashville deserved to win last night - Darling stole it.

Preds played well overall, BUT... neither team very likely to win the cup IMO. Blackhawks are simply too weak on the blue line - about one defenseman short. Oduya is awfully slow now and struggles non-stop in own zone, and Seabrook looks like he's hitting the pipe between shifts. And that's your 3 and 4 defensemen.

Blackhawks simply don't have enough - win this series or not.

I agree, this version of the Hawks is not what we saw during the last Cup run. However, playoffs are all about goaltending and special teams, so if last night is any indication :help:

roseyc

Mar 23, 2010
Darling is the same as any decent goalie, you gotta get the puck up. On Ellis' PP chance, Darling said himself he saw the play coming so made the move to cover the bottom. He even said if Ellis gets the puck up its in the net.

If you watch many replays in the NHL, you will notice one thing, if you are going to beat the best goalies you have to get them down and then go high. Even the almighty Carey Price gets beat that way.

We do a pretty good job of getting the puck on net, what we don't do a good job of is placing shots. Ours tend to be in the legs and chest. Watch the best goal scorers and you will notice a pattern. Ovi has a nasty one timer he can put in top corners. Kane can put a puck anywhere, and Stamkos also puts it high into corners.

It all has to do with the conditions of the ice ....the better the ice the better the chances to lift the puck ...Wilson shot was up and scored but the ice was in better condition then than it was in overtime both Ellis and Josi could have scored if they lifted the puck

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Next day, still haven't recovered emotionally. They've really gotta limit silly penalties. They didn't even show a replay of what Cullen did at the end of the 1st, but I'm sure it was a pointless slash of sorts. Do not get into a special team battle with these guys. 5on5, the preds were the better team overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad