GDT: CBJ vs. VAN

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
I'm not exactly for the shootout, but I'm more for them than ties. I never liked the ties, but it seems like games hardly ever end in the actual OT. Maybe five minutes just isn't enough time.

Damn right it isn't enough. On average, a goal is scored about every 10 minutes in the NHL. The OT should be half a period. Redo surface the ice for the OT, and not do any of it again if a SO is still needed after 10 minutes.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I'm not exactly for the shootout, but I'm more for them than ties. I never liked the ties, but it seems like games hardly ever end in the actual OT. Maybe five minutes just isn't enough time.

Good point. In the NFL, they play a full quarter (15:00) before it's a tie. Why doesn't the NHL go 20:00?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Leave it a tie, or play until the first score. I think we'll get back to that in the next decade or so once TV revenue is replaced by other media.

If you want to get cute play 3 on 3, no subs last man standing style.

That would be awesome to watch. I also wouldn't call it "cute", as it would be an even older version of hockey.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Good point. In the NFL, they play a full quarter (15:00) before it's a tie. Why doesn't the NHL go 20:00?

Because of American TV. The games can't run over top network's programming, the ratings aren't high enough to justify it.

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Because of American TV. The games can't run over top network's programming, the ratings aren't high enough to justify it.

I know that's the conventional wisdom, but how long does it take to play a 5 minute OT plus a typical shootout? Can't be much difference.

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
Looking at the replay a few times, Raymond definitely stopped all forward momentum to the net. His skate was perpendicular to the goal-mouth when he shot the puck.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I know that's the conventional wisdom, but how long does it take to play a 5 minute OT plus a typical shootout? Can't be much difference.
After OT ends, I think it takes 5 minutes to get the zamboni out and clean the ice. Then lets add another 5 minutes to complete the shootout. Rather then the shootout, what about having another 5 minutes 3 on 3? More room, good chance at scoring a goal to end the game. So 5 minutes of 4 on 4. Then have a one minute break and then start the 2nd half of overtime.

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
After OT ends, I think it takes 5 minutes to get the zamboni out and clean the ice. Then lets add another 5 minutes to complete the shootout. Rather then the shootout, what about having another 5 minutes 3 on 3? More room, good chance at scoring a goal to end the game. So 5 minutes of 4 on 4. Then have a one minute break and then start the 2nd half of overtime.

I'd be satisfied with a 10 minute overtime. Desspite my kvetching about the call, there's no guarantee the end result of this game would have been any different.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
The replay at the game of Bob getting his eye carved on showed the stick but not who was holding the stick. I figured it was a Jacket stick since no call was made. What a missed call.

As for the Stopped momentum during the shootout:shakehead

IBleedUnionBlue

Aug 16, 2009
The shoot out goal by Raymond was a beauty. It was a good goal. Check out youtube, he has done that move several times in the past.

And here is tonights goal.

anteater90

Jun 26, 2006
Hilliard
8 game point streak. Easier to take a SO loss. The steak continues on Th and then on Saturday when my son is the Honorary Captain and gets to be on the bench against Phoenix for the warm-ups!

GO JACKETS!!!

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Well, at least it was fun to watch Bob. Our game was nowhere near what it needed to be in the first 2 periods, so it was nice to come away with the point for our effort in the third.

Ran into Mike Priest before the game in the Upper Bowl and got to say hello. Why he was up there: no clue, but I can say he sure does wear nice suits. Never cared for the guy much, but I was happy to see he cared enough about a fan to say hello and shake hands.

Still thrilled we could snag a point tonight. In years past that game would have finished 4-1 or so, but Bob is that good, that much of a game changer, and props to the guys in front of him for blocking so many shots. Back at it Thursday night.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The replay at the game of Bob getting his eye carved on showed the stick but not who was holding the stick. I figured it was a Jacket stick since no call was made. What a missed call.

As for the Stopped momentum during the shootout:shakehead

Despite the letter of the law, the league has been consistenly lenient on this. The de facto rule is that you can stop and start as long you don't stand there for more than a split second.

Starbuds

You like muscles?
Mar 28, 2010
The shoot out goal by Raymond was a beauty. It was a good goal. Check out youtube, he has done that move several times in the past.

And here is tonights goal.

I feel none of those should count. He stops and then steps towards the side he came in on. Momentum stops and starts up again with the shot coming when it starts up again.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I ask this: If he comes in full speed like that, stops like that, and doesn't spin ... does it count?

Just because he turns around backwards, he's allowed to come to a complete stop, wait for the goalie to vacate the crease, and then tuck the puck into the empty net?

Seems legit :nod:

:shakehead

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Also, look where he is when he stops - spraying the goalie in the face with ice, no less - his feet are clearly in the blue paint. When he actually backhands the puck in, he's 2-3 feet outside of the crease, with both feet, and a couple of feet to the right.

No goal.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
still feel like that needed an actual review...but then again, Bob didn't argue a whole lot...just sucks to lose to that...

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Not our best game, though we found our game in the third. I spent a lot of time watching our D.

Nikitin was skating much better tonight, playing the body and even had some good scoring chances. Prout had bad zone clear attempts in the first, but moved the puck better later when we were under less pressure. If this was the 1990's Prout would be considered a great defenceman prospect (back then they didn't think so much about zone clears).

Erixon has the makings of a top pair defenceman— the kind that can control the game from the back end. Very smart pinching tonight. Aucoin is moving better these days and continued that tonight. JJ was okay defensively, but I wish he would have a safe option: just flip the puck out when we are in trouble, instead of always trying to either pass around the boards or skate it out of trouble. A lot of our trouble in the first came from guys trying to pass it and control it on the boards, but the Canucks kept pinching and pressuring, and we turned it over many times.

Our best defenceman tonight might have been Fedor Tyutin. He was solid in tying up sticks and getting clears at key times. I admit that earlier this season I was one of the folks who were thinking he should go as part of the rebuild, and I would have been happy if we got a 1st+ for him. But he is really impressing me lately.

hip check

Go North.
Jan 21, 2010
I'm trying not to get too high on Bob yet, but damn its hard not to right now. I really enjoy watching him play the last several games. Please oh please let this be the Bob of the Jackets' future. Please.

CoopALoop

Apr 19, 2012
Van, Bandwagoner
I'm trying not to get too high on Bob yet, but damn its hard not to right now. I really enjoy watching him play the last several games. Please oh please let this be the Bob of the Jackets' future. Please.

If there is any franchise that deserves some long term success, it's you guys.

Bob's looking a lot calmer in net than I have ever seen him before. His small angle adjustments is just a small factor in determining how confident he is in net. He's not over active in his movements and looks very calm. I'm very happy with his new emergence.

He just needs a better looking set of pads. ;)

I happen to be going to the game when you guys visit on Tuesday. Chances are Bob is going to start and I hope so. I really don't want to see Mason in the pipes...

member 105785

Looking at the replay a few times, Raymond definitely stopped all forward momentum to the net. His skate was perpendicular to the goal-mouth when he shot the puck.

the player can stop forward momentum, as long as the puck doesn't it's still live

CookieCrumbs*

As long as the puck is still moving forward it's a good goal.

I'm a lifer Canucks fan, but I can honestly say that the puck stopped in his shoot out goal tonight. The goal shouldn't have counted. It's pretty easy to see at 2:10 (assuming it's the Canucks YouTube video of the entire shoot out).

Oh well, it's not the first time a ref has fu*ked up a call that ends up determining the outcome of the game. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that it won't be the last either. Raw deal Columbus!

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
What I don't understand was from the Canucks feed, they were saying Richards was yelling at Letestu to delay for a possible review. But it didn't seem like Letestu took his time. I guess the ref could have told him that they weren't reviewing it. What would happen if they told him to hurry up and Letestu didn't? Automatically say his shot his no goal before his attempt? Get kicked out and have another shooter go?

Looking at the replay, it looks questionable(looks like he takes a step towards center ice(16 second mark of teh video). Wouldn't that count as a backward motion even if he was facing towards center ice?) but when I saw it live, it looked good. Personally I have no issue with it as I've seen those goals count everytime. I knew Raymond was going to do that. I said to myself, spinorama. As posted earlier, he's done that move before and that always stands out for me when I think of Raymond and a shootout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad