GDT: CBJ vs. VAN

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Bob is playing out of his mind.
Our offense kinda is what it is. it got on a roll for a few games but has regressed back to 2 goals/game. Likley won't be fixed until we add some talent.
But as long as the boys play hard and Bob stays on fire we should be in most games.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I ask this: If he comes in full speed like that, stops like that, and doesn't spin ... does it count?

Just because he turns around backwards, he's allowed to come to a complete stop, wait for the goalie to vacate the crease, and then tuck the puck into the empty net?

Seems legit :nod:

:shakehead

That is my contention. The NHL seems to have made an exception for what is, essentially, a gimic move. A thing of beauty as others suggest? I find nothing exciting about that move.

It is allowed, so good goal. I'm not bitter about the loss, I think we were eventually going to lose in the SO anyway. However, whether it's a Canuk or Jacket scoring that goal, I find it just as lame this morning as I did last night. The owners have strange hangups on certain things in hockey, so I have no doubt this unfortunate exception will continue to exist.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
That is my contention. The NHL seems to have made an exception for what is, essentially, a gimic move. A thing of beauty as others suggest? I find nothing exciting about that move.

It is allowed, so good goal. I'm not bitter about the loss, I think we were eventually going to lose in the SO anyway. However, whether it's a Canuk or Jacket scoring that goal, I find it just as lame this morning as I did last night. The owners have strange hangups on certain things in hockey, so I have no doubt this unfortunate exception will continue to exist.

Its garbage. He comes to a complete stop with one foot in the crease, spins back out of the crease, and deposits the puck in the far side of the goal. How in the hell is that a legit SO goal?

I know we didn't play well, probably got a point we didn't truly deserve thanks to Bobs overall performance, but I went to bed pissed about that result and woke up pissed as well.

HoldFast13

DESTROY!!!!
Oct 23, 2010
Columbus OH
Its garbage. He comes to a complete stop with one foot in the crease, spins back out of the crease, and deposits the puck in the far side of the goal. How in the hell is that a legit SO goal?

I know we didn't play well, probably got a point we didn't truly deserve thanks to Bobs overall performance, but I went to bed pissed about that result and woke up pissed as well.

Yep same here. I think at the very least the goal should have received a review. Overall I thought all of the officiating was pretty bad for both teams. I keep hearing about some supposed slash on one of the creepy swedes. I don't remember seeing it, admittedly it could be my Union Blue shaded glasses OR the fact the Sedins tend to fly halfway across the rink if you exhale too quickly around them...

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
...the fact the Sedins tend to fly halfway across the rink if you exhale too quickly around them...

Do the brothers embellish? Perhaps, but anyone who thinks those two aren't tough has never sat behind the goal and watched them compete for pucks, take hits, and maintain their skates. Sisters? I wouldn't want to be the one to say that to their faces!

The Nucks had several of their patented telepathic rushes down the ice, last night, but nothing they did took Bob by surprise - he was all over their ****! The Jackets, in fact, looked on several occasions like they also knew what to do with the puck in order to get a good look. Didn't amount to more than an unsuccessful pretty play, or two, but there were signs that good communication is not impossible in blue and red!

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
These are the kind of losses to expect when this team plays an elite team. The bright side is that we held our own against them and took them to an SO before yielding to them. To me, it was another good night for a rapidly developing young team.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
These are the kind of losses to expect when this team plays an elite team. The bright side is that we held our own against them and took them to an SO before yielding to them. To me, it was another good night for a rapidly developing young team.

I agree. You aren't going to have high energy every night. We played pretty flat for 2 periods last night, but were composed enough to limit most of their chances to outside shots that Bob could handle, and we swept alot of rebounds out of harms way. It would be nice to have some high end scoring talent that could get you a W on nights like this, but in the end every player was accountable, we finished the 3rd period well, and had a shot at 2 points in the SO. We need to get our legs back for CHI.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I said to myself, spinorama. As posted earlier, he's done that move before and that always stands out for me when I think of Raymond and a shootout.

What should be obvious is that the spin-o-rama is a gimic. The name of the move is the first and last clue needed. The fact that you can lose a regular season game to a skills competition with a move that has name that screams gimic is a problem in my book.

This is my first vent on SO's for a while. I hate, hate, hate, them. They are best left to the All-Start game. It would be like taking a baseball game that goes beyond 10 innings and deciding it on a home run derby. A lot like deciding a basketball game, after one OT, with a slam dunk contest.

The fact that a spin-o-rama is allowed should cast major doubt on the legitimacy of the SO. The fact that a SO win gathers the same amount of points as a OT or regulation win is a black mark on the game.

The spin-o-rama just gave me another opportunity to blast the joke that is the shoot out. It takes one of the best games in world, if not the best, and turns it into arena football. I feel dirty every time they do it. If they want to have that decide games for 8 year olds, that is cool. But for a pro game? A joke. Why do we have it? Well one of the top two is so that people can't complain about a regular season game end in a tie. It's NOT a playoff game. It is NOT a legitimate win, even when we get lucky enough to win more of them than we lose.

As far as Raymond. I guess you have to be known for something. Beyond that he's a rather unremarkable player. Maybe he can teach Brassard or RJ that move.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I disagree. SO is a game to decide the game, nothing wrong with that. I also didn't notice anyone wanting to ban shootouts after RyJo and Matty's sick moves the other night.

Just saw this reading backwards. If you believe that a baseball game should be decided by a home run derby, then there is nothing I can say to persuade you otherwise.

As far as us winning shoot outs, if people have followed me over the years they know, I f'ing hate shootouts with a fiery passion. They are not legitimate wins. I don't care if we won the Cup, by getting the #8 seed on the last day with a SO win, and made an impossible run.

Every time we win with a shoot out, I die a little inside. Did I like that we got 2 points? Sure. Did I like how we got the 2 points? F no.

candyman82

Mar 29, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
Do the brothers embellish? Perhaps, but anyone who thinks those two aren't tough has never sat behind the goal and watched them compete for pucks, take hits, and maintain their skates. Sisters? I wouldn't want to be the one to say that to their faces!

The Nucks had several of their patented telepathic rushes down the ice, last night, but nothing they did took Bob by surprise - he was all over their ****! The Jackets, in fact, looked on several occasions like they also knew what to do with the puck in order to get a good look. Didn't amount to more than an unsuccessful pretty play, or two, but there were signs that good communication is not impossible in blue and red!

Thank you!

Seriously, anybody who thinks the Sedins aren't tough needs to watch them in the corners. They take so much abuse it's ridiculous.

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
Just saw this reading backwards. If you believe that a baseball game should be decided by a home run derby, then there is nothing I can say to persuade you otherwise.

As far as us winning shoot outs, if people have followed me over the years they know, I f'ing hate shootouts with a fiery passion. They are not legitimate wins. I don't care if we won the Cup, by getting the #8 seed on the last day with a SO win, and made an impossible run.

Every time we win with a shoot out, I die a little inside. Did I like that we got 2 points? Sure. Did I like how we got the 2 points? F no.

I couldn't agree more. I find nothing wrong with ties. We are such an instant gratification society. I wish some of the new systems and way of playing would go away, overtime and shoot outs at the top of my list.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Hell, bring back the ascot!

j/k - I also find the shootout an abomination. Play a 5 or 10 minute overtime and leave it there.

agree. 10 minute overtime, no goals = tie game. I think 20 mins is too long; the full extra period in the NFL makes more sense since they tend to have a week off between games (though goodell is really trying to change that, player safety be damned)

Killing me last night the trouble the Jackets were having clearing the zone.

the spinny goal seems to have 2 problems- stopping momentum, and the puck moving back towards center ice. take yer pick, both infractions occurred last night :shakehead

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
Thank you!

Seriously, anybody who thinks the Sedins aren't tough needs to watch them in the corners. They take so much abuse it's ridiculous.

We have seats in 205 now. The thing that got my attention last night was the Tyutin / Sedin interactions. I don't know what got under Tyutin's skin last night, but he had an excellent game neutralizing those two. H Sedin in particular seemed to like "water-skiing" with Tyutin. One hand on his own stick, the other hanging onto Tyutin shoulder. That happened multiple times at our end of the rink.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
With Bob playing the way he is, will Mason ride the bench until Columbus' #1 cop in town has a bad night?

I'm a little bit concerned because Mason used to be good like that and all went to hell when we took his rookie play for granted.

HoldFast13

DESTROY!!!!
Oct 23, 2010
Columbus OH

I was of course referring to the fact they tend to embellish a good bit.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
With Bob playing the way he is, will Mason ride the bench until Columbus' #1 cop in town has a bad night?

I'm a little bit concerned because Mason used to be good like that and all went to hell when we took his rookie play for granted.

I don't see this team qualifying Mason as they would have to give him a raise on his very overpaid contract.

So, if he isn't in your future, why do you give him starts if you don't have to?

CrazyCanucks

Jun 8, 2005

They dont, there are other players who do on the team and everybody knows who they are, but the twins dont. They are tough as nails. They play vs every teams 1st D pairing every night for the last 6 years and just produce. Henrik is just 7 gms behign Jay-Bo's in tersm of consecutiver games played. They dont fall as the other poster suggested.

Good for you guys who finally have a goalie who can stop the puck. Things are looking up in cbj land

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I don't see this team qualifying Mason as they would have to give him a raise on his very overpaid contract.

So, if he isn't in your future, why do you give him starts if you don't have to?

If he kept playing well he could have been attractive at the deadline. Now at most he was likley worth a 3rd-7th round pick for a team that had a goalie injured (couple teams in East have that problem now).

But I tend to agree keep playing Bob. We need to see if he can be a good goalie for an entire season. He was great for the first couple of games, then very average at best for awhile (Mason honestly outplayed him for a stretch) but now is playling lights out.

The CBJ need to figure out what they need in goal next year - is it a 1B guy who may need to be 1A if Bob isn't good, or if he continues playing well maybe we can just sign an aging vet to help mentor im and play 20 or so games next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad