GDT: CBJ vs Chicago | 7 PM ET 11/22 | Nationwide Arena

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Sorry to hear that Viqsi.

I think our efforts were combined to get the team over the hump.

I had wisdom teeth removed just before the game, and it went VERY BADLY. And this codeine stuff isn't strong enough.
Heeey I too had a teeth thing on the day, so make that a triple effort! Hope y'all feel better. (I do, had been pushing it off for like 10+ years but in the end was fine-ish, just gotta do some follow-ups but nothing... major.)

I have another one set in a couple of weeks, also a CBJ game day, so let's see if this science holds up.

I thought this was a good game. We showed flashes of offensive ability, the kind that you could imagine this team having if the young players progress as we want and the veterans hold up their end of the bargain. It looked very good at times - still kinda fanning on opportunities and not clicking on every pass but much more promising than some early games. We've been going in the right direction for a while now, I hope we don't have to wait 9 games for the next win.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I'm more concerned about what he can do in the defensive zone on a team filled with offensive minded defensemen.
I’m not sure we are that loaded on offensive minded defensemen, rather it’s a case of not having good defensive defensemen. To me, Z and Boqvist are the true offensive minded defensemen.

Provorov is more like a two way defensemen That leans toward the offensive side. Gud and Peeke are definitely stay at home defensemen whose defensive credentials are debatable. Severson leans more on the defensive side as his passing is suspect and his defense hasn’t been particularly impressive. Bean just isn’t good. Jiricek is an ongoing project But should become a solid two way player.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Well, g-ddamn. If I'd known that my ending up in the ER would be all it'd take for the hellstreak to end, I'd... well, I'd probably still have held off because I still feel pretty f***ing miserable.

But hey, Jackets win! Yay! :D

Viral gastroenteritis, or at least that's what they suspect. Whatever it is it sucks and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I suspect the Dairy Queen on Indianola is responsible as an order from them is literally the only outside contact I'd had in the last week (hardcore work-from-home deadlines) but can't be certain.
I too have been betrayed by that Dairy Queen more than once. I’m finally getting over pneumonia myself, though still not 100%. It feels a bit like coming out of a bad funk at the same time as the team last night.

Reactions: Viqsi

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
Olivier benching next game
Was that who blindly threw the puck across the defensive zone, leading to CHI's second goal? I missed it live and the scoreboard replays of the goal did not show that part. Terrible play regardless.

Well, just like we all thought: 7 goals, including a 2-point game by Silly.

Most fun game I've seen live in since the '21-22 season. Happy Thanksgiving you all in the US.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I too have been betrayed by that Dairy Queen more than once. I’m finally getting over pneumonia myself, though still not 100%. It feels a bit like coming out of a bad funk at the same time as the team last night.
Oof. Last time I had an ER trip (six years ago) it was also pneumonia. And, ironically, also around Thanksgiving; speaking of which, we've had to basically cancel ours as a result of all this. :( Thankfully Chanukah isn't too far off.

And your anecdote has basically sealed it in my mind that that DQ is to blame. Pity.

Now I'm all grumpy. I'ma go watch highlights of last night so I can feel better again. :p: ;)

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Was that who blindly threw the puck across the defensive zone, leading to CHI's second goal? I missed it live and the scoreboard replays of the goal did not show that part. Terrible play regardless.

Well, just like we all thought: 7 goals, including a 2-point game by Silly.

Most fun game I've seen live in since the '21-22 season. Happy Thanksgiving you all in the US.
it sure was

Reactions: rotsbu

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
For me there will be mixed feelings with every loss and win this season.

Every loss that accelerates the process of expected GM change will be good for CBJ long-term and I will be happy about it. Conversely, every loss that delays and hampers the development of potential future core players (Fantilli, Jiricek, Marchenko), and lowers the value of likely trade baits (Laine, Chinakhov, Boqvist...) will be bad for them long-term and I won't be happy about it.

A new, better GM would be the best thing that could happen to this club right now (new GM would have a lot of time to get to know everybody in the org before making difficult decisions on coaches, players etc later in the offseason). Until that happens I won't be able to feel genuinely excited about a win.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Well the Jackets did give up two goals in the third without scoring any, so maybe this game wasn’t as good as the final score indicates.

I don't suppose the next time the Jackets come back from losing 7-1 and score two goals in the third to lose 7-3, that you'll be here to talk about how they were much better than the score indicates and that we should be positive?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
For me there will be mixed feelings with every loss and win this season.

Every loss that accelerates the process of expected GM change will be good for CBJ long-term and I will be happy about it. Conversely, every loss that delays and hampers the development of potential future core players (Fantilli, Jiricek, Marchenko), and lowers the value of likely trade baits (Laine, Chinakhov, Boqvist...) will be bad for them long-term and I won't be happy about it.

A new, better GM would be the best thing that could happen to this club right now (new GM would have a lot of time to get to know everybody in the org before making difficult decisions on coaches, players etc later in the offseason). Until that happens I won't be able to feel genuinely excited about a win.

The losing is so much worse.

We need a new GM but we don't know how our ownership is making their decisions on the GM. It could be that they've decided to stick with our FO regardless of what happens this year. It could be that they decided before the year even started that they were going to make a change (their statement after the Babs firing would be consistent with that).

So the marginal loss maybe has no effect on GM change, while the marginal loss is definitely not good for development or asset values. I'm much more concerned with the development part, learning how to win in a structured group is really hard and takes years.

Reactions: Viqsi and LJ7

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
We need a new GM but we don't know how our ownership is making their decisions on the GM.
I agree with this sentence, but I don't think it's very rational to infer "losing is so much worse" from that. I could also argue that continuing with a bad GM will prolong their struggles at learning how to win.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I could also argue that continuing with a bad GM will prolong their struggles at learning how to win.

I don't think there is necessarily much of a connection there.

I have some changes in mind, especially sending Jiricek to the AHL, that a new GM might help with.

But for the most part, the roster is set.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I don't think there is necessarily much of a connection there.

I have some changes in mind, especially sending Jiricek to the AHL, that a new GM might help with.

But for the most part, the roster is set.
This year's roster is set, but not the future roster(s). I wasn't talking about only this and next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad