GDT: CBJ vs Bruins | 7 pm ET Monday, Nov. 27 | Nationwide Arena

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Nah.

Too much money, one dimensional, and doesn’t move his feet. Not just this game.

We're you shipping out Johnny and Zach few weeks ago when they were costing us games?

Because Laine just had an assist, 5 shots in a win over Bruins. Created chances on PP. But he did take a bad penalty and mishandled a pass and lost the zone. So that's the crime here?

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
We're you shipping out Johnny and Zach few weeks ago when they were costing us games?

Because Laine just had an assist, 5 shots in a win over Bruins. Created chances on PP. But he did take a bad penalty and mishandled a pass and lost the zone. So that's the crime here?
Do you watch Laine play 5v5?
0 SOG, 2PIM, 40% ozone starts, 15% xGF%

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Nah. Red Herring fallacy.

Too much money, one dimensional, and doesn’t move his feet. Not just this game. Great player make others better, not worse.

People trying to bring Gaudreau and Werenski’s struggles into this… it’s not the same. Even at HIS BEST Laine is not a valuable player to THIS team. Dollars could be better used elsewhere, but I don’t think he has much trade value.
Laine is finally moving his feet more, he's got very good backchecking. He's got mental issues at the moment, if there was a chair in the football goal one wouldn't score a goal, but he'll hit the chair. That will show on his play. Something needs to be done about it.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Nah. Red Herring fallacy.

Too much money, one dimensional, and doesn’t move his feet. Not just this game. Great player make others better, not worse.

People trying to bring Gaudreau and Werenski’s struggles into this… it’s not the same. Even at HIS BEST Laine is not a valuable player to THIS team. Dollars could be better used elsewhere, but I don’t think he has much trade value.

So despite Gaudreau and Werenski directly costing wins earlier this season, Laine's bad penalty in a win against Bruins is the mortal sin? Because....in caps, it's not the same hurr durr. Why not? They cost more, their early bad play cost the team more than Laine playing now while not being 100%.

Team has been strangely winning and becoming better after Laine returned but he's the problem? They're not even using him right on the PP.

Sorry but ignoring Johnny and Zachs early struggles and pretending it's different just shows it's not a rational position but an emotional one.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Lol, Russian powah saves Columbus. Each of four Russians scores a goal, and the 5th one is scored by Danforth who came to NHL from KHL.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
So despite Gaudreau and Werenski directly costing wins earlier this season, Laine's bad penalty in a win against Bruins is the mortal sin? Because....in caps, it's not the same hurr durr. Why not? They cost more, their early bad play cost the team more than Laine playing now while not being 100%.

Team has been strangely winning and becoming better after Laine returned but he's the problem? They're not even using him right on the PP.

Sorry but ignoring Johnny and Zachs early struggles and pretending it's different just shows it's not a rational position but an emotional one.
Perhaps try re-reading, or do I need to simplify it more for you?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Knock it off.
Knock what off?

I posted regarding Laine AT THE GAME after I watched him give piss poor effort in the neutral zone, again. Not even sure where they got the idea it was based off of a penalty I never even insinuated that…

If they actually read my posts instead of thinking like a caveman “penalty = bad” then maybe I’d take them seriously.

Gaudreau, Werenski and Laine have drastically different value 5v5.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Perhaps try re-reading, or do I need to simplify it more for you?

I read it, I don't understand your definition of "value". You're willing to ignore games Werenski or Gaudreau cost the team actual points, but Laine is more negative value because he didn't "move feet" enough in the best game by the team all season.

Werenski wasn't 100% to start the year and now playing well, Laine isn't 100% from his injury hiatus yet but he's contributing to a winning team.

The lack of consistency in your argument shows it's just emotional. If you were consistent and not playing favorites, surely you would have directed this campaign to those who cost more and lost games.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
I read it, I don't understand your definition of "value". You're willing to ignore games Werenski or Gaudreau cost the team actual points, but Laine is more negative value because he didn't "move feet" enough in the best game by the team all season.

Werenski wasn't 100% to start the year and now playing well, Laine isn't 100% from his injury hiatus yet but he's contributing to a winning team.

The lack of consistency in your argument shows it's just emotional. If you were consistent and not playing favorites, surely you would have directed this campaign to those who cost more and lost games.
Thank you for reading.

I don’t really have favorites. I wasn’t even a fan of signing JG tbh. The point is, Laine even at his best is not what this team needs. He’s a liability 5v5. Often he makes his teammates worse! He’s a good PP guy sure, we don’t need that right now. We have guys that can shoot the puck just like he can. If we are going to spend 8 million a year we need guys that help the team 5v5, and Laine consistently hurts us. Even at HIS BEST, his value is not built through 5v5 play. He’s a final piece, not a building block for a good team. Now keep in mind he often is “not moving his feet,” often is injured, and really hasn’t had chemistry with anyone on the team. If he continues to struggle it’s going to be hard to move him - and it might already be difficult to do so given his caphit.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Thank you for reading.

I don’t really have favorites. I wasn’t even a fan of signing JG tbh. The point is, Laine even at his best is not what this team needs. He’s a liability 5v5. He’s a good PP guy sure, we don’t need that right now. If we are going to spend 8 million a year we need guys that help the team 5v5, and Laine consistently hurts us. Even at HIS BEST, his value is not built through 5v5 play. He’s a final piece, not a building block for a good team. Now keep in mind he often is “not moving his feet,” often is injured, and really hasn’t had chemistry with anyone on the team. If he continues to struggle it’s going to be hard to move him - and it might already be difficult to do so given his caphit.

Any team in the world needs Laine at his best. That guy scores 18 in a month. He's not there right now, do you not understand he just had brain damage and missed a lot of time?

And yeah this would be the most idiotic time to move on from him, when his value is low. He was the best player last season but missed a lot of time. He'll get there again, that's been showing in last few games. Today he had more shots than in previous games.

If he was used to his full potential and given the onetime option again with Boqvist in PP, he would produce more. It's certainly not his fault the team refuses to use him optimally. But even from the wrong side he was getting shots off, of course goalie is ready for them because he can't 1T from right boards.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Thank you for reading.

I don’t really have favorites. I wasn’t even a fan of signing JG tbh. The point is, Laine even at his best is not what this team needs. He’s a liability 5v5. Often he makes his teammates worse! He’s a good PP guy sure, we don’t need that right now. We have guys that can shoot the puck just like he can. If we are going to spend 8 million a year we need guys that help the team 5v5, and Laine consistently hurts us. Even at HIS BEST, his value is not built through 5v5 play. He’s a final piece, not a building block for a good team. Now keep in mind he often is “not moving his feet,” often is injured, and really hasn’t had chemistry with anyone on the team. If he continues to struggle it’s going to be hard to move him - and it might already be difficult to do so given his caphit.
He played in 8 lines last season due to injuries. Except for the one Gaudreau played, where he has great chemistry with Jenner, he played well, had good stats. If you look at the stats which shows how which player impacted his partners you will see that he made them better. At the same time, according to the stats, he had the best defensive play. The season before last, other than defensively and playing with Gaudreau the same thing.
By the way, I've already posted the stats on how the forwards affected their partners here once.

ЕDIT: Of course, he's not playing ideally at the moment, but no one would do that after a concussion. Because, although it doesn't seem like it, it takes longer to come back.

Last edited:

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
You just told me he had a good game because he had 5 PP shots. Do you not think Daniel Sprong could do the exact same thing?

No.

And I certainly don't think Sprong could score 18 in a month.

And I don't think his game was great, but mostly positive
He's playing in a line with a rookie center and a guy who played in Switzerland last season. I don't mind if they aren't the shiniest piece together at this point of the season. Happy that the team as a whole is winning, they're doing their part.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Any team in the world needs Laine at his best. That guy scores 18 in a month. He's not there right now, do you not understand he just had brain damage and missed a lot of time?
Laine at his best was 8 years ago. Sadly he’s not the same player.
And yeah this would be the most idiotic time to move on from him, when his value is low. He was the best player last season but missed a lot of time. He'll get there again, that's been showing in last few games. Today he had more shots than in previous games.
He had 6 mins of PP time.
If he was used to his full potential and given the onetime option again with Boqvist in PP, he would produce more. It's certainly not his fault the team refuses to use him optimally. But even from the wrong side he was getting shots off, of course goalie is ready for them because he can't 1T from right boards.
You keep talking about using him to his full potential and giving powerplay examples, that’s kind of my point no?

No.

And I certainly don't think Sprong could score 18 in a month.

And I don't think his game was great, but mostly positive
He's playing in a line with a rookie center and a guy who played in Switzerland last season. I don't mind if they aren't the shiniest piece together at this point of the season. Happy that the team as a whole is winning, they're doing their part.
Both Texier and Fantilli have looked great away from Laine right?

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Laine at his best was 8 years ago. Sadly he’s not the same player.

He had 6 mins of PP time.

You keep talking about using him to his full potential and giving powerplay examples, that’s kind of my point no?

Both Texier and Fantilli have looked great away from Laine right?

Fantilli has looked good with Laine too.

I still haven't seen Texier work well in top 6, he brings more in the 4th. What did he do today that made you think he was helping the team more than Laine was? I remember seeing him once. When Boston scored the 2nd goal, he was trying to block the point shot.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Certainly not in this game. They got buried together.

Laine is a drag right now. I'm more sympathetic that it is probably concussion related but we've seen so many bad games from him before, I understand why folks want to ditch Laine.

Reactions: Marioesque

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014

I still haven't seen Texier work well in top 6, he brings more in the 4th. What did he do today that made you think he was helping the team more than Laine was? I remember seeing him once. When Boston scored the 2nd goal, he was trying to block the point shot.
Were you wanting him to not block it? Looked like Laine was on Beecher and just left him, not sure what the system says to do there - probably pass off to D?

Forechecking, stick checks, play away from the puck. Even worked hard on the PK to get an got a shot against Boston on it.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Certainly not in this game. They got buried together.

Laine is a drag right now. I'm more sympathetic that it is probably concussion related but we've seen so many bad games from him before, I understand why folks want to ditch Laine.

It's obviously concussion and long break from games related.

I only understand it, when I consider how irrational and emotional people get. But I don't need to support it, for me it's silly.

Throwing away an extremely valuable piece because he didn't recover 100% from brain injury faster than humans usually do, at the lowest possible market value..
No, that would be extremely stupid.

Were you wanting him to not block it? Looked like Laine was on Beecher and just left him, not sure what the system says to do there - probably pass off to D?

Forechecking, stick checks, play away from the puck. Even worked hard on the PK to get an got a shot against Boston on it.

Why would Laine be net front as a winger? I didn't say Texier should not have tried to block it. That's his job as a wing in that situation. Laine's job isn't in front of the net in D zone.

I said that is the only time I remember anything from Tex. Was there something else?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad