Proposal: CBJ - TML

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I agree, but the Leafs aren't getting full value out of their asset playing him 16 minutes per game behind Marner. The expansion draft would be my main holdup, as we couldn't protect both Merzlinkins and Campbell, which would defeat the purpose of trading for Merzlinkins. Foudy doesn't need protection, but I don't think he strengthens us enough for the 2021 playoffs to compensate. I'd rather make large deals in the off-season and just stick to rentals for now.
Merzlinkins is exempt from the draft

Reactions: cslebn and Korg

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I agree, but the Leafs aren't getting full value out of their asset playing him 16 minutes per game behind Marner. The expansion draft would be my main holdup, as we couldn't protect both Merzlinkins and Campbell, which would defeat the purpose of trading for Merzlinkins. Foudy doesn't need protection, but I don't think he strengthens us enough for the 2021 playoffs to compensate. I'd rather make large deals in the off-season and just stick to rentals for now.
Merzlikins is exempt; that's a large part of why we'd like to hold onto him.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I bet many teams with good centers would like to have the "dipshit" who has scored 147g in 333gp. He just isnt a good fit in CBJ. He can still be a very impactful player. He just isnt a Kane or Panarin, who create their chances themseves. He is lethal paired with good playmakers.

He complained his way out of a very good situation in Winnipeg, now he gets to be the guy on a terrible team (because no good team will have him as "the guy") and it's still not good enough. So no, I don't have any interest in a me first secondary forward that demands to be paid like and given the ice time of an alpha forward.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
stop with "TML" it's MTL and people with dyslexia cannot see the difference

DJYz1l7VoAA0RBK.jpg

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
He complained his way out of a very good situation in Winnipeg, now he gets to be the guy on a terrible team (because no good team will have him as "the guy") and it's still not good enough. So no, I don't have any interest in a me first secondary forward that demands to be paid like and given the ice time of an alpha forward.

Usually scoring wingers need a C. Columbus has 3-4C:s, who can play dump`n chase, but no playmakers. Laine isnt one, nor will he be - he is a generationl scorer if he gets to play with ppl, who can feed him. You have to see what he is to use him correctly.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Usually scoring wingers need a C. Columbus has 3-4C:s, who can play dump`n chase, but no playmakers. Laine isnt one, nor will he be - he is a generationl scorer if he gets to play with ppl, who can feed him. You have to see what he is to use him correctly.

Good for him. I'm still not trading Nylander for the privilege of overpaying a player that can't produce on his own

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Toronto has centers and Columbus wingers. Why not do a blockbuster?

CBJ get:

C/W Nylander 6,96M UFA 2024
2nd 2021

TML get:

RW/LW Laine 6,75M RFA 2021

Columbus get a player more suitable for their game and who has a history playing C. Nylander would be an upgrade over any C CBJ have. Toronto get a player who would probably thrive in Toronto. Laine need skillplayers who can carrie the puck into the zone and distribute it. Toronto has it all. Toronto would buy low and get Laine as RFA after a bad season. An extension would probably be a lot cheaper than earlier expected.

Marner - Matthews - Laine would be lethal.
As a fan of neither team nor either player, I’m not sure why Toronto is adding. I’m also not sure why Toronto would even do this. Columbus should but Toronto? No. This isn’t the player I’d want for Nylander.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
As a fan of neither team nor either player, I’m not sure why Toronto is adding. I’m also not sure why Toronto would even do this. Columbus should but Toronto? No. This isn’t the player I’d want for Nylander.

Toronto is adding because Laine is one of the best scorers in the league. He is having the worst slump of his career, but is still a RFA. William has 3yrs until UFA , Laine can be signed longterm at a good contract if he is a fit. And if he would fit in with Matthews and marner, they could have the best line in the NHL.
There is many "IF:s", but this is a gamble that could put Leafs over the top. Nylander wont do that. It can ofcourse also backfire, but is there actually anything to loose. Marner, Matthews, Tavares and Rielly is the core.

"No this isnt the player I`d want for Nylander" - 2 months back everyone would swap Nylander for Laine. HF has a very short memory. It`s like the last 3 games. Laine has talent to be exceptional - Nylander hasnt. Still to be seen if Laine gets there. Nylander wont - He will always be good though, Laine could be exceptional or then fade away.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad