Proposal: CBJ - TML

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Toronto has centers and Columbus wingers. Why not do a blockbuster?

CBJ get:

C/W Nylander 6,96M UFA 2024
2nd 2021

TML get:

RW/LW Laine 6,75M RFA 2021

Columbus get a player more suitable for their game and who has a history playing C. Nylander would be an upgrade over any C CBJ have. Toronto get a player who would probably thrive in Toronto. Laine need skillplayers who can carrie the puck into the zone and distribute it. Toronto has it all. Toronto would buy low and get Laine as RFA after a bad season. An extension would probably be a lot cheaper than earlier expected.

Marner - Matthews - Laine would be lethal.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I admit to being seriously concerned about Nylander's ability at center. But otherwise this would be very interesting indeed.

It'd also do very strange things to the perpetual Matthews vs. Laine debate... ;)

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I admit to being seriously concerned about Nylander's ability at center. But otherwise this would be very interesting indeed.

It'd also do very strange things to the perpetual Matthews vs. Laine debate... ;)

He has no ability at center, it's been tried, it's failed, in fact you saw the most recent attempt game 5 VS Columbus

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020

CBJ get:

2nd 2021

TML get:

Columbus get a player more suitable for their game and who has a history playing C. Nylander would be an upgrade over any C CBJ have. Toronto get a player who would probably thrive in Toronto. Laine need skillplayers who can carrie the puck into the zone and distribute it. Toronto has it all. Toronto would buy low and get Laine as RFA after a bad season. An extension would probably be a lot cheaper than earlier expected.

People have always been high on Laine because of his goal scoring ability, and for good reason, but the rest of his game needs to be refined before he can be considered a superstar. I really don’t think him and Torts are a good fit.

That being said, I still think his value is higher than Nylander because his ceiling is far higher. Once he puts it all together, I think he’ll be great.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009

CBJ get:

2nd 2021

TML get:

I see 1 issue with this trade from both sides.

Toronto would have a hard time resigning their players. I don't see Laine taking less than his qualifying offer of $7.5 and I'm sure he will want more. This would make re-signing Hyman and a goalie and future contracts for Reilly difficult.

Columbus needs top 6 C, not slight downgrades on wing. Nylander isn't a C as much as he was listed as one in junior.

Reactions: Bob Barker

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011

Toronto would have a hard time resigning their players. I don't see Laine taking less than his qualifying offer of $7.5 and I'm sure he will want more. This would make re-signing Hyman and a goalie and future contracts for Reilly difficult.

Columbus needs top 6 C, not slight downgrades on wing. Nylander isn't a C as much as he was listed as one in junior.

I remember Sebastian Aho was also seen as "Not able to play C in NHL". He started at wing, but when he got a chance to play 1C he never stopped. Nylander and Aho are actually pretty similar players. Aho has the advantage in skill/huzzle though, but I see similarities in their game.
Laine actually has a hard time arguing for higher than 7,5-8M/yr. It is like 0,5-1M higher than Nylanders caphit and is doable. I could easily see Laine taking 7,5M for 3yrs and then cash in as UFA. In Toronto he would have the best offense available for that. I also think Toronto would be a perfect fit for him and the team would benefit a lot. Think about a PP with Marner, Matthews, Laine, Tavares and Rielly...

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
trading Nylander (and adding) for Laine is overpaying, not buying low. I'd much rather keep Nylander
I disagree, I think this is 100% a buy low move. Considering contract status, Columbus might consider it depending on how negociations go with Laine. I would fire the coach first if I were the GM.

Reactions: jonlin

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I remember Sebastian Aho was also seen as "Not able to play C in NHL". He started at wing, but when he got a chance to play 1C he never stopped. Nylander and Aho are actually pretty similar players. Aho has the advantage in skill/huzzle though, but I see similarities in their game.
Laine actually has a hard time arguing for higher than 7,5-8M/yr. It is like 0,5-1M higher than Nylanders caphit and is doable. I could easily see Laine taking 7,5M for 3yrs and then cash in as UFA. In Toronto he would have the best offense available for that. I also think Toronto would be a perfect fit for him and the team would benefit a lot. Think about a PP with Marner, Matthews, Laine, Tavares and Rielly...
Nylander is soon to be 25 in his 6th year in the NHL. He's a good winger, not a center.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Nylander does not look like a center whenever I see him play. If Columbus wants a center then not a fit

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Less than 0 interest in Laine and whatever atrocious cap hit he's gunna get, let alone giving up a cost certain Nylander for the privilege of having that dipshit on the team

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008

This right here sums it up for me. Cap-wise, I don't think Toronto wants to do another RFA negotiation on a core piece right now. Even if Laine doesn't break the bank, I'm guessing they'd prefer the cap stability (they know Nylander's cap hit). And Nylander doesn't seem to the the CBJ answer at C, so better to keep the higher upside guy. If CBJ knows Laine won't sign there, then it becomes more attractive from their perspective.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Nylander does not look like a center whenever I see him play. If Columbus wants a center then not a fit

In Toronto, Nylander has Matthews&Tavares infront of him. He doesnt actually get the best wingers on the team to try it out for a long enough time. You cant just try chemistry for 1-2 games. He may cut it, or he may not - it remains to be seen. Not in Toronto though, because they have their Top6 C:s.

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
I don't follow the TML but from an outside point of view:
- Matthews is a scoring center
- Tavares is a scoring center
Does Toronto really need another shooter, or are they better served with a playmaker? A cheaper, homegrown player too?

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Aho has been playing center for 3 seasons and is younger than Nylander. WN has been tried at C and wasn't very productive there. I think this is wishful thinking.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Less than 0 interest in Laine and whatever atrocious cap hit he's gunna get, let alone giving up a cost certain Nylander for the privilege of having that dipshit on the team

I bet many teams with good centers would like to have the "dipshit" who has scored 147g in 333gp. He just isnt a good fit in CBJ. He can still be a very impactful player. He just isnt a Kane or Panarin, who create their chances themselves. He is lethal paired with good playmakers.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Aho has been playing center for 3 seasons and is younger than Nylander. WN has been tried at C and wasn't very productive there. I think this is wishful thinking.

It might be, but I`m curious to see what Nylander actually could do if he would have the opportunity to play 1C, with the best wingers on the team.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014

Does he look like a winger though? I'd say the way he plays, he's more of a center than a winger

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Not interested in Laine, would rather break down Nylander into two assets to address 3C, goaltending, grit, depth etc. Jenner+Foudy or Jenner+Elvis would be of more interest to me.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Would rather have Nylander and his extra years of control, plus the known quantity for fit.

Does he look like a winger though? I'd say the way he plays, he's more of a center than a winger

He's been good as a centre in the NHL in what is a big enough body of work to be fairly reliable, so I think the evidence supports you here.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Not interested in Laine, would rather break down Nylander into two assets to address 3C, goaltending, grit, depth etc. Jenner+Foudy or Jenner+Elvis would be of more interest to me.
historically, these kinds of trades haven't been kind to the team giving up the better asset

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011

I bet CBJ would take this and run if offered. I suspect they would then run Bjorkstrand - Nylander - Laine

Reactions: 6zag

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
historically, these kinds of trades haven't been kind to the team giving up the better asset

I agree, but the Leafs aren't getting full value out of their asset playing him 16 minutes per game behind Marner. The expansion draft would be my main holdup, as we couldn't protect both Merzlinkins and Campbell, which would defeat the purpose of trading for Merzlinkins. Foudy doesn't need protection, but I don't think he strengthens us enough for the 2021 playoffs to compensate. I'd rather make large deals in the off-season and just stick to rentals for now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad