Confirmed with Link: CBJ sign Sam Gagner: 1 year, $650,000

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
That's such an awesome clip! One of my favorites.

Doesn't matter how many years have passed since then, doesn't matter that Keith went on to become a helluva player, that will always be one of my favorite incidents during a game. That commentary is gold.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Okay, hypothetical question.

You are GM Jarmo K. You signed Sam Gagner for one year at $650,000. He put up 8 goals in 53 games at Philadelphia last year and spent time in the minors. He now has 6 goals in his first 13 games for your club.

Do you today offer him an extension? If so, how much and for what term?

(Note: it is perfectly acceptable to say NO because the sample size is too small - but you risk missing really good value if you wait and he puts up monster numbers).

PS - remember also that there is a trade deadline and an expansion draft just over the horizon. These two items must factor into your thinking.

What say you?????????????????????

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

You are GM Jarmo K. You signed Sam Gagner for one year at $650,000. He put up 8 goals in 53 games at Philadelphia last year and spent time in the minors. He now has 6 goals in his first 13 games for your club.

(Note: it is perfectly acceptable to say NO because the sample size is too small - but you risk missing really good value if you wait and he puts up monster numbers).

Interesting question.

To me the answer lies in what you could sign him for and for how long.

PS - remember also that there is a trade deadline and an expansion draft just over the horizon. These two items must factor into your thinking.

Interesting question but I think the answer is you have to wait. We have to re-sign Wennberg and Anderson and Sedlak and probably add either Forsberg or Korpi to a one way deal with maybe 7 mill or so if the cap rises to the players escalation max.

Maybe if you lock up Andy and Wennie for lower dollars similar to the the Calvert/Cam extensions after their ELC's then you can talk to Gagner and try to get him for say 3 years at a reasonable rate -2.5 to 3.5 maybe?

Tough call.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Interesting question but I think the answer is you have to wait. We have to re-sign Wennberg and Anderson and Sedlak and probably add either Forsberg or Korpi to a one way deal with maybe 7 mill or so if the cap rises to the players escalation max.

Maybe if you lock up Andy and Wennie for lower dollars similar to the the Calvert/Cam extensions after their ELC's then you can talk to Gagner and try to get him for say 3 years at a reasonable rate -2.5 to 3.5 maybe?

Tough call.

Agreed.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit

Looking solely at Gagner, no.

He's shaping up to be a nice story, but 14 good games doesn't erase 4-5 bad seasons of hockey. Given the cap situation, it's not a risk I'd take.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
No way do I go near a Gagner extension until the spring. Even then it won't be the high dollars that EspenK mentioned.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

I'd hold off until the end of the season first. Make sure we retain our core players, and then if we can afford what he deserves then go for it.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
He's shaping up to be a nice story, but 14 good games doesn't erase 4-5 bad seasons of hockey. Given the cap situation, it's not a risk I'd take.

Hasn't Gagner had three seasons of relatively great hockey in terms of points after the lockout, one bad season with the Flyers and now this one.

I think it is a pretty much of Blake Comeau situation with Gags: too good, to be pouched, better scenarios for the player going forward in free agency.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Hasn't Gagner had three seasons of relatively great hockey in terms of points after the lockout, one bad season with the Flyers and now this one.

I think it is a pretty much of Blake Comeau situation with Gags: too good, to be pouched, better scenarios for the player going forward in free agency.

Ask Oiler fans. 37 pts is good if you're a bottom sixer, but Gagner was given plum minutes with good linemates, not to mention PP. Given his defensive limitations, he needed to be producing 50+ points to justify his role.

If he's better for us it's because he's a better player now, or because Scott Hartnell makes everyone better.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Ask Oiler fans. 37 pts is good if you're a bottom sixer, but Gagner was given plum minutes with good linemates, not to mention PP. Given his defensive limitations, he needed to be producing 50+ points to justify his role.

Of course his current contract situation explains that Gags wasn't exactly perfect storm prior but 38 points (second in scoring) in 48 games for lockout-Edmonton prior to that and 41 in 81 for Arizona, leading the forwards there wouldn't suggest he had only horrible previous years.

For a 750k healthy gamble that it pretty good recent record of putting black into the cage, even if this current trend of nights of multiple closets would not continue.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
No way do I go near a Gagner extension until the spring. Even then it won't be the high dollars that EspenK mentioned.

How do you know? He keeps up his pace he is close to 30. I'm pretty sure if we want him then its going to cost if he is still scoring. Even 20 goals will kick his price to 2 mm at least.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Interesting responses. Like most of you I feel it is too soon to extend a contract.

However, let's assume the trajectory continues at or near the current pace.

I would consider offering Gagner a contract that would be value, only if it does not included a no movement or no trade clause.

I would think of a Gagner signing as a protection piece for the Las Vegas expansion draft. By exposing Gagner at a reasonable number, Las Vegas would get a good player that helps them get to the salary cap floor, and could provide scoring and leadership.

This would effectively shield one other player that Columbus would otherwise lose. As it stands right now, I think the most likely player to come off the CBJ roster to Las Vegas would be Matt Calvert or William Karlsson.

If Gagner does not get selected at the expansion draft, he could be used as an asset at the entry draft to acquire a better prospect or draft position.

I think signing Gagner could strategically strengthen Jarmo's hand for all the opportunities beginning at the trade deadline this year. Gagner's play has certainly brought more value than $600k annually.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
The only way I keep him is to play him.with Hartnell the whole time. I swear Scotty just picks a player per year and says "this is your year" and the does everything he.can to make them look good.

If extended 2 years max 950k to 1 mil flat.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
How do you know? He keeps up his pace he is close to 30. I'm pretty sure if we want him then its going to cost if he is still scoring. Even 20 goals will kick his price to 2 mm at least.

If he does 20-20 I'd expect something in the range of 1.5-2.5m, max 2 years. He'd have to set career highs to get a core contract.

I also doubt LV would even consider plucking Gagner over Karlsson, JJ, and whoever is exposed of Cam or Anderson.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
40 pts is Gagner's "average" season when he's centering a scoring line in an offensive role (easier zone starts and better linemates), with plenty of minutes. That's not Gagner's "average" season when he's "playing up and down the lineup" as you put it. When it comes to playing up and down the lineup Gagner has never done it successfully, Vermette has. It's also really weird that you're characterizing Vermette as the "one specific role" kind of player and not Gagner. Historically that has been 100% the opposite. Maybe everything changes this year, but historically it's backwards.

I think you're going to be disappointed. Gagner is relatively slow and weak, compared to both Vermette and NHLers in general.

** Usual disclaimer - since some can't tell, let me make it clear that this isn't opposition to the Gagner signing, I'm just clearing out the nonsense.

Love your informed opinions but have you seen this Gagner kid yet this year? WOW!!! he is bringing a real spark to the CBJ

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Love your informed opinions but have you seen this Gagner kid yet this year? WOW!!! he is bringing a real spark to the CBJ

To me the spark on his line is Hartnell, and Gagner has done a good job at cashing in. He does look faster than in recent years though, maybe his conditioning has improved.

If you'll notice, my posts from the summer were very focused on past play. I was very careful to avoid making predictions on Gagner (and I still am) because I didn't know whether he is going to turn it around. We had people making false assertions such as Gagner being a better two-way player than Vermette, or being a Letestu type, or being the ideal patch at center. I was just correcting that, and I did not oppose his signing.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
He's not a three-zone player and the fact that he's often glued to the bench in close/late situations reflects that. But he fits perfectly on the first PP unit and he and Hartnell have great chemistry. I'm happy to have him in his current role for sure. If he keeps providing offense off that fourth line and his PP spot, then yeah, I'd love to have him around for another year or two.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
He's not a three-zone player and the fact that he's often glued to the bench in close/late situations reflects that. But he fits perfectly on the first PP unit and he and Hartnell have great chemistry. I'm happy to have him in his current role for sure. If he keeps providing offense off that fourth line and his PP spot, then yeah, I'd love to have him around for another year or two.

I think that is spot on. He's a good offensive threat with good hands and playmaking mindset. I like him on the PP a lot. I think he's probably a good shoot out option as well.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think that is spot on. He's a good offensive threat with good hands and playmaking mindset. I like him on the PP a lot. I think he's probably a good shoot out option as well.

With a relatively healthy lineup like we have now I'm not going to get worked up about Sam's contribution, because he really hasn't done that much. I'm glad to have him and he can do a few things that we might especially need if injuries strike. Right now I'm not persuaded that he adds anything to the first powerplay unit that Scott Hartnell can't do. Hartnell was great in that middle spot last year - a better sniper. The one play on the PP that you have to credit Sam was the swooping pass back to Cam, a true beauty.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
With a relatively healthy lineup like we have now I'm not going to get worked up about Sam's contribution, because he really hasn't done that much. I'm glad to have him and he can do a few things that we might especially need if injuries strike. Right now I'm not persuaded that he adds anything to the first powerplay unit that Scott Hartnell can't do. Hartnell was great in that middle spot last year - a better sniper. The one play on the PP that you have to credit Sam was the swooping pass back to Cam, a true beauty.
There is, however, something to be said for having More Of The Same at a bargain rate. :)

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm warming more and more to hoping that Jarmo can resign him at a reasonable rate for say 2 or 3 years. I just don't think you can let a guy who has a lot of offensive talent walk for nothing. People talk about his lousy years with Edmonton but hell their whole team sucked during those years. He has a role here and so far he's delivering. He's stillon pace for 30+ goals or so. Seriously folks, you would let a 30 goal guy walk? Biggest risk is we re-sign him for 2.5-3 and Vegas snags him.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If he continues on this stretch and If he wants to stay he must be kept at 2.5 maximum. Anything more and I'd move on. If I'm Sam gagner and that's all I'm offered after a big year I go chase my pay day. But who knows, maybe he'll really want to stick around and take a smaller offer here in exchange for some term (2-3 years.)

However, with Dubois likely on the team next year, he'll need a wing position open. That could be Gagner's spot.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
If the Jackets are theoretically competing for a playoff spot come the trade deadline, and we are offered a 1st for Gagner, do you take it?

If he puts up 50+ points, there will be a team willing to offer him upwards of $3m for sure. He's only 27. Nobody expected him to play this well, and IMO it'd be tough to pass up a first round pick for a guy who could very well walk away chasing a bigger check in the offseason, especially considering Dubois should be on the team next year as CBJWennberg said.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
If the Jackets are theoretically competing for a playoff spot come the trade deadline, and we are offered a 1st for Gagner, do you take it?

If he puts up 50+ points, there will be a team willing to offer him upwards of $3m for sure. He's only 27. Nobody expected him to play this well, and IMO it'd be tough to pass up a first round pick for a guy who could very well walk away chasing a bigger check in the offseason.

I think Sam stays all season but is gone over the summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad