Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread XI

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
https://x.com/nhlrankking/status/1787936491684954354?s=61&t=5dOcwerWef6EHrkaq2EeAw

IMG_0625.png

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
MJ and Saskatoon going to OT in game 7, 6th time theyve gone to OT this series. Doesnt get any tighter or higher pressure than this. I think Saskatoon did a pretty good job keeping all of MJs big names quiet until they let the wrong guy get a chance and Firkus kind of got them turned around.

Mateychuk has been steady, not insanely active and defensively mostly solid. His partner as usual isnt anything special. He did have a weird shift with a couple minutes left though. 0 stops around his own net and looked for a switch when there wasnt one to be had, just looked really awkward and could have caused issues.

Edit: MJ headed to the WHL finals

Last edited:

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
No score in the 1st but I'd say Warriors are having a good start to game 1. At first glance Portland doesn't look as defensively well structured as Saskatoon but Spunar in net is big and calm, probably best goalie in the league. I have a feeling Danielson will be pain in the ass for MJ as the series go on, he's so strong in transition and cycle game.

Good start for Mateychuk as well. Clean breakouts, solid defensive play. Had one excellent chance to score on PP but for some reason decided to not shoot and passed the puck over to Savoie down low.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
No score in the 1st but I'd say Warriors are having a good start to game 1. At first glance Portland doesn't look as defensively well structured as Saskatoon but Spunar in net is big and calm, probably best goalie in the league. I have a feeling Danielson will be pain in the ass for MJ as the series go on, he's so strong in transition and cycle game.

Good start for Mateychuk as well. Clean breakouts, solid defensive play. Had one excellent chance to score on PP but for some reason decided to not shoot and passed the puck over to Savoie down low.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Mateychuk lost an edge at defensive blueline and went hard shoulder first to the wall. Looked pretty bad at first but he got up and was out there for late 2nd period PP. Unfortunately MJ couldn't score there. Hoping there's nothing fractured. MJ leads 2-1 after 40.

Edit: Warriors win 3-2! Huge road victory. Game 2 tomorrow night in Portland, and the next three in MJ (if necessary).

Last edited:
Reactions: MoeBartoli

BrettM

Oct 3, 2017
the fact that Columbus has authorized Denton mateychuk to continue playing in this WHL final just signifies the ineptness. He took that hit early to midway through game one and hasn't been near the same player. He's clearly avoiding contact and Columbus needs to maximize the asset but are risking his long term health/development.

• Haha
Reactions: ColumbusTrill

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
the fact that Columbus has authorized Denton mateychuk to continue playing in this WHL final just signifies the ineptness. He took that hit early to midway through game one and hasn't been near the same player. He's clearly avoiding contact and Columbus needs to maximize the asset but are risking his long term health/development.
Columbus has no singular say in whether Mateychuk plays or does not play. That would be Moose Jaw and himself.

BrettM

Oct 3, 2017
Columbus has no singular say in whether Mateychuk plays or does not play. That would be Moose Jaw and himself.
you're being serious? Columbus has the MAJORITY of the say. If the Blue Jackets instructed him to sit out, he's sitting out.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
you're being serious? Columbus has the MAJORITY of the say. If the Blue Jackets instructed him to sit out, he's sitting out.
Yes I’m being serious and no it doesn’t work that way.

The Jackets can instruct him to sit out if they want him to, that doesn’t mean he or moose jaw have to do what the jackets say. He is their player right now.

BrettM

Oct 3, 2017
Sure, individually Mateychuk has final say however his agency would strongly advise to align to his future employers recommendations.

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021

are you posting the same thing on every team's prospect thread who has draftees in the chl playoffs?

Reactions: Xoggz22

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I think you could argue that he's not having his A game tonight but "not even near the same player" would be an exaggeration imo. He's been physically involved, I haven't seen him avoiding anything. I've noticed MJ is not planning to play him over half an hour per game as they did vs Saskatoon but it seems like he's going to get same amount of minutes in games 1 and 2 of the finals. So far nothing suggests he's playing through an injury or anything like that but of course I can be wrong.

Edit: Warriors go up 2-0 in the series with a 5-1 win. Portland is a rush team that gives up a lot of counter attacks, and MJ as more balanced and defensively disciplined team are taking advantage of that. Two more wins out of next 3 games and they would be celebrating championship in front of home crowd.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I think you could argue that he's not having his A game tonight but "not even near the same player" would be an exaggeration imo. He's been physically involved, I haven't seen him avoiding anything. I've noticed MJ is not planning to play him over half an hour per game as they did vs Saskatoon but it seems like he's going to get same amount of minutes in games 1 and 2 of the finals. So far nothing suggests he's playing through an injury or anything like that but of course I can be wrong.

Edit: Warriors go up 2-0 in the series with a 5-1 win. Portland is a rush team that gives up a lot of counter attacks, and MJ as more balanced and defensively disciplined team are taking advantage of that. Two more wins out of next 3 games and they would be celebrating championship in front of home crowd.
Heavens to Murgatroyd.

We can't have prospects learning how to win at every level they play in. This is unacceptable! :sarcasm:

1715532760311.png

Reactions: Xoggz22

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
So did it or is this an overreaction?

I don’t know but he looked to be the biggest guy on the ice. To me it looked like he saw the other team wasn’t into the game anymore and he had a chance to do it so he tried. He started from standing still. It isn’t really a skilled move anymore if you start from standing still. There are plenty of 14 year olds in Columbus that can make a lacrosse goal from standing still. Go to any rink in Columbus and you’ll see kids that just learned to pick the puck off the ice do it to hand the ref the puck at a stoppage. To me, doing it at 7-0 is a dick move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad