CBJ Offseason '16 (All FA/trade/roster discussion/blog rumor/proposals/etc here)

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
You know, I have been kind of away from this site for a couple of months watching baseball. And, except for the interesting discussion about recreational drug use, all of you are still arguing the same points you were arguing on Memorial Day.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
You know, I have been kind of away from this site for a couple of months watching baseball. And, except for the interesting discussion about recreational drug use, all of you are still arguing the same points you were arguing on Memorial Day.

Good to see you, too, Electronic Dance Music :)

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit

It's been the dullest offseason in CBJ history. And that's saying something.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
It's been the dullest offseason in CBJ history. And that's saying something.

I agree....my theory is after last season CBJ fans are willing to except whatever happens this season. Minimal optimism....prepared for another season full of disappointments .

The first 10 games of the season are more important to the Jackets than any other team. Another catastrophic start to the season and Nationwide will be a Ghost town like we've never seen before.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015

Every argument on here is circular and always ends up in the same place: putting Clarkson on LTIR or having him picked in the expansion draft

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Every argument on here is circular and always ends up in the same place: putting Clarkson on LTIR or having him picked in the expansion draft

According to Porty's article Clarkson is good to go for camp. So LTIR isn't an option.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
It was interesting to read that "Dark Blue Jacket" is experiencing the same pre-season doldrums that appear to be felt by most around here. So I guess we should just accept that those doldrums are valid.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Trouba wants out of Winnipeg. RHD. Should we get him? The bad part is his agent is Overhardt.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/jacob-troubas-agent-says-client-requested-trade/
The only scenario that comes to mind in which it would be useful for us to pursue such a thing is if we feel like we can get Trouba for a deal with JJ as the centerpiece, and subsequently flip Trouba or Savard for an upgrade at C.

That requires a lot to go our way, though, so I wouldn't be holding my breath.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The only scenario that comes to mind in which it would be useful for us to pursue such a thing is if we feel like we can get Trouba for a deal with JJ as the centerpiece, and subsequently flip Trouba or Savard for an upgrade at C.

That requires a lot to go our way, though, so I wouldn't be holding my breath.
So I finally bit the bullet and came up with an example of what that might look like. I still think it astronomically unlikely and a bit risky on our part even if things go our way, but, hey, it lets us get in on the latest feeding frenzy. :)

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Huge pass. He isn't a need, we are already spending (will be spending) a lot of money on defensemen, and I want nothing to do with his agent. Not worth the assets (players/picks traded and money).

This.. and while he's talented, I'd rather see how things go this year with the D before giving up a big piece to get him.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
So I finally bit the bullet and came up with an example of what that might look like. I still think it astronomically unlikely and a bit risky on our part even if things go our way, but, hey, it lets us get in on the latest feeding frenzy. :)

I wouldn't mind this, but I think sending Prout along with Savard to EDM is too much, I would rather lose a pick or low-end prospect.

In this scenario, I would also look to target Matt Duchene instead of RNH.

edit: actually, I'm not sure if Colorado is looking for a RHD with both EJ and Barrie locked up. I guess that RNH would be the more logical option.

Last edited:

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
There is no reason we shouldn't be involved him conversations. If we think he's better than Savard, we explore these talks and move Savard. We'd have no difficulty moving him.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I wouldn't mind this, but I think sending Prout along with Savard to EDM is too much, I would rather lose a pick or low-end prospect.

edit: actually, I'm not sure if Colorado is looking for a RHD with both EJ and Barrie locked up. I guess that RNH would be the more logical option.

I'd rather have Savard than RNH. I'd definitely rather have all of those pieces than RNH. He isn't even close to worth that even if he was on a better contract.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
There is no reason we shouldn't be involved him conversations. If we think he's better than Savard, we explore these talks and move Savard. We'd have no difficulty moving him.

Is he better than Savard though? It would cost more to trade for him than we would probably get for Savard and he will cost more in contract than Savard. Why give up more assets (players/picks and money) just to maybe upgrade a position that doesn't need to be upgraded?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Prout is necessary for cap purposes.

...beat me to it. :D

* * *​
I'd rather have Savard than RNH. I'd definitely rather have all of those pieces than RNH. He isn't even close to worth that even if he was on a better contract.

Straight up I don't disagree, but in this scenario we've replaced Savard with Folger's Crystals Trouba.
"Let's see if he notices!"

* * *​
Is he better than Savard though? It would cost more to trade for him than we would probably get for Savard and he will cost more in contract than Savard. Why give up more assets (players/picks and money) just to maybe upgrade a position that doesn't need to be upgraded?

I do think C could use an upgrade. This isn't the sort of thing that I would pursue all that heavily tho - if the price is going to get significantly higher (and I suspect it would), then we say "oh well, we tried" and move on.

Part of what's awkward about it is finding a decent C that actually is an upgrade on a team that 1) can afford to move such a guy and 2) has a need at RHD. There's surprisingly few.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I get that. I'd rather have Savard (and everything else you have us trading) than Trouba and RNH. I just don't think Trouba is an upgrade on Savard and I don't think RNH is enough of an upgrade on our centers for what he is making.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad