OT: CBJ Lounge XXI (All Non-Sports, Non-Political Talk Here)

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I saw someone smoking a cigarette in a car today and it got me thinking that I know about 10 people who use cannabis based products for everyone who smokes Marlboro's or buys tins of Skoal.

What's your experience?
I’m extremely vocal and emotionally invested on this subject. I’ve been pretty much a daily reefer smoker since about 18, so just about 15 years now. I was born in ‘88, and I would say people around my distinct age bracket have been very instrumental in the “renaissance” that we’ve seen and the ignorant stigma and mindsets (of the sheltered and brainwashed) about marijuana almost be forced to be changed.

That said, it’s absolutely fascinating how things have changed so quickly. The anti-marijuana stigma was still there around 5 years ago. 5-10 years ago most people still had a completely asinine outlook on the plant and use.

Regarding tobacco use, I’ve always hated it and quite literally never understood it after hitting a competent age. From my mother with health issues smoking occasionally, to the nights in middle school in my backyard smoking by myself realizing I hated it and was only doing it because others were and I thought I should be. Though I’m well past the sit around the table with a group at a house party currently, even people my age, around 10 years ago I remember being around a table/house where I was only 1 of a couple people (12-15+) NOT smoking cigarettes. Mind you these were people drinking, smoking weed, and other things, so as I’ve always posed the question, what even is the point of smoking cigarettes?? The addictive qualities of cigarettes/tobacco/nicotine can NOT be downplayed however, as you can ask a cigarette smoker that up front question, “WHY?”, and they have a hard time answering. Their mindset is that it makes them “feel good”, yet reality is that the cigarette/tobacco/nicotine makes them FEEL BAD, without it. Arguing with cigarette smokers is like arguing with Merzlikins fans of the past.

Again, just the length of time it existed and how vocal people would be, and the difference in mindset and stigma against marijuana in relation to cigarettes AND alcohol, or even everyday fast food intake, and the actual health risks or impact on the body they all have, is still unacceptable to me. The way society can change and look at something from “bad to good” or “good to bad” so quickly is mind blowing.

Of the people I know it's probably a 50 to 1 ratio

Depending on the ages of people you know, and Spin did say “Marlboros or Skoal”, I wonder how many of these (younger) people you know are smoking on their “breeze’s”. I’d be willing to bet, within your younger demographic, that many are still smoking concentrated nicotine trash and it’s nowhere near 50:1.

While obviously better than inhaling/breathing in all the chemicals and the actual harmful smoke from cigarettes, these new vapes that are EXTREMELY popular will just bring different variations of health issues that the “medical experts” and FDA “don’t quite understand” yet. Or so they’ll say now, like baby powder, roundup, certain medications and injections, or the cigs of the past. Whatever they have “concentrated” in these nicotine vapes are NOT GOOD.

I have a younger coworker who smokes and it blew my mind when I found out.

Grew up around smoking and smokers but haven't run into a legit smoker in so long ...

Again, younger generations are all over these nicotine vapes. Many people around my age (early/mid 30s) are transitioning to these from cigarettes. Smell/taste (and money) standpoint it’s more than understandable, however, I think people are being (purposely) extremely misled in the idea that they are a “safe alternative” to cigarettes.
Smoking flower is waaaaaaay more socially acceptable in public then tobacco suddenly

Key word: SUDDENLY

It’s actually DISGUSTING what has occurred regarding marijuana. It is not a coincidence that this sudden acceptance for marijuana coincides with more and more states REGULATING (and not actually LEGALIZING) it.

Bottom line, this state regulated marijuana IS POISON. The “flower” especially. The quality of marijuana in these stores is nowhere near the quality that was PREVALENT from high quality hydroponic/home growers 10-15 years ago. I promise you, the “Mexican brick weed”/mid grade stuff that existed well before that, and the stuff some of you guys smoked in the 70s/80s/90s smoked WAY better than what they are selling and passing off as great stuff, and even more disgusting, as “medicine” nowadays. It’s worse than them passing off cigarettes as good, imo, they turned something GOOD into something BAD.

Many of the concentrated marijuana products are also of poor quality, but, similar to the cigarette in relation to nicotine vapes, much of the “trash” can be filtered out during these different processes.

I guess I can’t speak too much about other states, but, I do know my home state of Michigan is looked at as a “top” medical/recreational marijuana state, especially for the surrounding states, where people routinely travel from Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, etc to get products, due to both quality and price.

I haven’t found a single gram of marijuana that was ENJOYABLE to smoke at a single dispensary I’ve been to in Michigan. I’ve transitioned to concentrates (mainly live resin) and marijuana cartridges (again mainly resin/rosin as the “distillate” is also mostly trash). And I’m talking only a few/handful of reputable companies/products, imo.

In these LARGE “corporate grows” they have this process where they do something called “remediation” to the marijuana. Look it up. I’m no scientist, but, they essentially “microwave” or “bake” the product in order to attempt to remove all the mold and everything else on and inside the plant that shouldn’t be there. What it seems like, is this really just “tricks” some of the states testing methods, where the things don’t show up, but still exist within the plant. The state of MI had 1 of their 2 testing methods get scrapped because it wasn’t accurate or consistent, and there was a huge lawsuit involving 1 of the largest marijuana labs in the state and a STATE ISSUED RECALL of a VAST amount of “flower” that was subsequently reversed by a obviously corrupt judge.

No, I’m not crazy.

“Remediation” is the scam.

Last edited:

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
One of the "side projects" we're working on (dating back to when we were still part of AWRI) is helping with managing data collection and storage for this project, so, yeah, this is pretty awesome.

EDIT: See also item #3 on my employer's project page.
Just curious, do any of you Ohioans have any knowledge of the relationship between Jeffrey Epstein and Les Wexner??

Fascinating stuff there. $100 million dollar properties, Victoria’s Secret, private islands, “Wexner Research Institute”….anyways nothing to see here…

Almost like the reputation of a guy like Les Wexner was INSTRUMENTAL in allowing Epstein to get away with all the things he did for so long, along with literally possibly “bankrolling” the entire thing.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Just curious, do any of you Ohioans have any knowledge of the relationship between Jeffrey Epstein and Les Wexner??

Fascinating stuff there. $100 million dollar properties, Victoria’s Secret, private islands, “Wexner Research Institute”….anyways nothing to see here…

Almost like the reputation of a guy like Les Wexner was INSTRUMENTAL in allowing Epstein to get away with all the things he did for so long, along with literally possibly “bankrolling” the entire thing.
Never heard of them. :sarcasm:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

I expect it to all blow up eventually. His name is on a lot of places like hospitals, art museums, etc. One day something will happen and his name will disappear. I am surprised it hasn’t happened yet. But it will happen. He has donated lots of money and people like money.

Reactions: thebus88

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I expect it to all blow up eventually. His name is on a lot of places like hospitals, art museums, etc. One day something will happen and his name will disappear. I am surprised it hasn’t happened yet. But it will happen. He has donated lots of money and people like money.
Sounds like Wexner will be canceled.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I’m extremely vocal and emotionally invested on this subject. I’ve been pretty much a daily reefer smoker since about 18, so just about 15 years now. I was born in ‘88, and I would say people around my distinct age bracket have been very instrumental in the “renaissance” that we’ve seen and the ignorant stigma and mindsets (of the sheltered and brainwashed) about marijuana almost be forced to be changed.

That said, it’s absolutely fascinating how things have changed so quickly. The anti-marijuana stigma was still there around 5 years ago. 5-10 years ago most people still had a completely asinine outlook on the plant and use.

Regarding tobacco use, I’ve always hated it and quite literally never understood it after hitting a competent age. From my mother with health issues smoking occasionally, to the nights in middle school in my backyard smoking by myself realizing I hated it and was only doing it because others were and I thought I should be. Though I’m well past the sit around the table with a group at a house party currently, even people my age, around 10 years ago I remember being around a table/house where I was only 1 of a couple people (12-15+) NOT smoking cigarettes. Mind you these were people drinking, smoking weed, and other things, so as I’ve always posed the question, what even is the point of smoking cigarettes?? The addictive qualities of cigarettes/tobacco/nicotine can NOT be downplayed however, as you can ask a cigarette smoker that up front question, “WHY?”, and they have a hard time answering. Their mindset is that it makes them “feel good”, yet reality is that the cigarette/tobacco/nicotine makes them FEEL BAD, without it. Arguing with cigarette smokers is like arguing with Merzlikins fans of the past.

Again, just the length of time it existed and how vocal people would be, and the difference in mindset and stigma against marijuana in relation to cigarettes AND alcohol, or even everyday fast food intake, and the actual health risks or impact on the body they all have, is still unacceptable to me. The way society can change and look at something from “bad to good” or “good to bad” so quickly is mind blowing.

Depending on the ages of people you know, and Spin did say “Marlboros or Skoal”, I wonder how many of these (younger) people you know are smoking on their “breeze’s”. I’d be willing to bet, within your younger demographic, that many are still smoking concentrated nicotine trash and it’s nowhere near 50:1.

While obviously better than inhaling/breathing in all the chemicals and the actual harmful smoke from cigarettes, these new vapes that are EXTREMELY popular will just bring different variations of health issues that the “medical experts” and FDA “don’t quite understand” yet. Or so they’ll say now, like baby powder, roundup, certain medications and injections, or the cigs of the past. Whatever they have “concentrated” in these nicotine vapes are NOT GOOD.

Again, younger generations are all over these nicotine vapes. Many people around my age (early/mid 30s) are transitioning to these from cigarettes. Smell/taste (and money) standpoint it’s more than understandable, however, I think people are being (purposely) extremely misled in the idea that they are a “safe alternative” to cigarettes.

Key word: SUDDENLY

It’s actually DISGUSTING what has occurred regarding marijuana. It is not a coincidence that this sudden acceptance for marijuana coincides with more and more states REGULATING (and not actually LEGALIZING) it.

Bottom line, this state regulated marijuana IS POISON. The “flower” especially. The quality of marijuana in these stores is nowhere near the quality that was PREVALENT from high quality hydroponic/home growers 10-15 years ago. I promise you, the “Mexican brick weed”/mid grade stuff that existed well before that, and the stuff some of you guys smoked in the 70s/80s/90s smoked WAY better than what they are selling and passing off as great stuff, and even more disgusting, as “medicine” nowadays. It’s worse than them passing off cigarettes as good, imo, they turned something GOOD into something BAD.

Many of the concentrated marijuana products are also of poor quality, but, similar to the cigarette in relation to nicotine vapes, much of the “trash” can be filtered out during these different processes.

I guess I can’t speak too much about other states, but, I do know my home state of Michigan is looked at as a “top” medical/recreational marijuana state, especially for the surrounding states, where people routinely travel from Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, etc to get products, due to both quality and price.

I haven’t found a single gram of marijuana that was ENJOYABLE to smoke at a single dispensary I’ve been to in Michigan. I’ve transitioned to concentrates (mainly live resin) and marijuana cartridges (again mainly resin/rosin as the “distillate” is also mostly trash). And I’m talking only a few/handful of reputable companies/products, imo.

In these LARGE “corporate grows” they have this process where they do something called “remediation” to the marijuana. Look it up. I’m no scientist, but, they essentially “microwave” or “bake” the product in order to attempt to remove all the mold and everything else on and inside the plant that shouldn’t be there. What it seems like, is this really just “tricks” some of the states testing methods, where the things don’t show up, but still exist within the plant. The state of MI had 1 of their 2 testing methods get scrapped because it wasn’t accurate or consistent, and there was a huge lawsuit involving 1 of the largest marijuana labs in the state and a STATE ISSUED RECALL of a VAST amount of “flower” that was subsequently reversed by a obviously corrupt judge.

No, I’m not crazy.

“Remediation” is the scam.

50 was the number of people smoking pot to 1 being the number of people smoking tobacco. Everyone I know consumes pot basically. I'm your age.

Personally I almost exclusively use a dry leaf vape.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Maybe, personally I hope so, but that entire story sure seems to have died down for some reason, eh?? Just fascinating to me that all the info and connections are RIGHT THERE for people to see regarding Wexner/Epstein, and many other similar cases really.

Never knew the Wexner name until a bunch of those conspiracy theorists started putting info together on the internet. I know people will only believe so much, but, his STRONG “on the record”/“business” connection to Epstein, along with his ownership of Victoria’s Secret alone, should make it pretty easy to ask some questions or put some pieces together.

Another name for those who love to trust the government and “institutions”, and continue to belittle the crazy “conspiracy theorists”, Jimmy Saville. Until next time.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Maybe, personally I hope so, but that entire story sure seems to have died down for some reason, eh?? Just fascinating to me that all the info and connections are RIGHT THERE for people to see regarding Wexner/Epstein, and many other similar cases really.

I suspect one day something completely unrelated will anger the students at OSU and they will start to protest that unrelated thing. The students will air their grievances and one will be having campus buildings named after Epstein's best buddy. People will then agree that he is a creep and his name should be removed. Many will be surprised that some unrelated thing (like a change in some dorm policy or large increase in the cost to park on campus) caused Wexner’s name to be taken off buildings. This sort of thing sometimes happens by some weird butterfly effect.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Crazy storms out on the Union/Delaware County line. Dumped a ton of water in the last 90 minutes or so, trees and branches down, some power outages. All of a sudden it was raining sideways. Had to stop watching the trees on our lot line, it was making me nervous.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Had some pretty strong storms downtown yesterday, I couldn’t capture any lightning, but I did get a double rainbow. (very faint to the left of the main one)

Attachments

• D1A65D07-649E-4972-82EE-6C3EC1FC5A68.jpeg
    D1A65D07-649E-4972-82EE-6C3EC1FC5A68.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 2

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
TRY HOCKEY FOR FREE EVENT COMING UP IN NEWARK ON SATURDAY JULY 22ND

Last edited:
Reactions: koteka

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Crazy storms out on the Union/Delaware County line. Dumped a ton of water in the last 90 minutes or so, trees and branches down, some power outages. All of a sudden it was raining sideways. Had to stop watching the trees on our lot line, it was making me nervous.
This is me every severe storm. I lived in south Clintonville during the 2012 derecho and watched my car crushed by a tree branch. A lot of damage to the neighborhood, in general.

But, I will also always remember sitting on a downed tree that spanned Dayton Ave. while eating burgers. I am pretty sure a part of that tree made it to the Ohio Historical Society as it was 100+ years old

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
This is me every severe storm. I lived in south Clintonville during the 2012 derecho and watched my car crushed by a tree branch. A lot of damage to the neighborhood, in general.

But, I will also always remember sitting on a downed tree that spanned Dayton Ave. while eating burgers. I am pretty sure a part of that tree made it to the Ohio Historical Society as it was 100+ years old
Every time I think of that 2012 derecho I remember how bad the power outages were and how damn hot it was in the days after. Now a days when I hear derecho I pay attention :laugh:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Every time I think of that 2012 derecho I remember how bad the power outages were and how damn hot it was in the days after. Now a days when I hear derecho I pay attention :laugh:
I've been obsessed with battery efficiency (and portability of necessaries) ever since that summer.

Reactions: MAHJ71

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I was still living in Athens that summer even though I’d just graduated. I’ll never forget how eerily silent everything was for a week because no a/c or fans were running outside of Court St (where power was restored by the next day) and the university (which never lost it because they had their own grid separate if Athens city). I lived on the far west side of town (way out W State if you know Athens) and was without it for a week.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I was still living in Athens that summer even though I’d just graduated. I’ll never forget how eerily silent everything was for a week because no a/c or fans were running outside of Court St (where power was restored by the next day) and the university (which never lost it because they had their own grid separate if Athens city). I lived on the far west side of town (way out W State if you know Athens) and was without it for a week.
I was over in Hilliard/UA by Mill Run and it was 3 of the longest days for my apartment complex. I was throwing papers at the time and it was definitely eery at night around the Columbus area with no lights. Flashlight went with me everywhere I went :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad