Confirmed with Link: CBJ hire Mike Babcock as head coach (UPDATE: Under NHLPA Investigation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
This is such bs.

The league really need to come out and say what’s up.

This is going to be so ….ng pathetic if nothing hurtfull was found and everyone keeps their job

& if something happen just let it be known so we can be done with this garbage and move on

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
If they're going to change horses this close to camp I'd feel much better about it going to Pascal Vincent. He knows whats going on, he knows all the systems, the new ones and the old ones, he knows the players. I definitely wouldn't touch Gallant or Jalonen regardless.
That's where I'm at too.
IMO the locker room may become a mess (just with Jenner and Johnny publicly defending Babs vs at least one, and sounds like more than 1, younger player not being comfortable with it). Maybe somehow the team comes together, but more than likely I think it gets messy. NHL careers are short and to blow up a season in Mid-September won't sit well with some of the vets, no matter who the young player(s) are.
It's worse if Babs is retained IMO.

Reactions: thebus88

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Why is it worse if Babcock is retained now? It's back to business then, some harm done but it can be repaired. Some awkward days in camp but once the season starts, it's done and it's all eyes on hockey. If it was a high profile prospect, I doubt the front office will watch too long if Babs treats them like crap, and if it was lesser known prospect(s), maybe they get away from Babs anyway with the Monsters...

If Babcock is fired, presumably those who defended him and/or wanted him to stay, will have a rift between those who "caused" him to be fired, especially if the season doesn't start well and they start thinking "if only we still had Babs to coach us". If the season starts well then maybe it's all water under the bridge by December, but might come back towards the end of the season if the wild card keeps slipping away.

I think the outcomes have similar immediate feelings among the players (a mess) but vastly different long term outlooks for the season (which will depend on the team's success).

I'm still (naively?) thinking that whatever happened with the CBJ player(s), their intention was not getting Babs fired.

But at the end of the day it probably does come down to whether or not Babs did something wrong. If he did but isn't fired, it's going to be an uphill battle even if he's retained.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
Feels like Netflix is filming ninth episode of "Devil in Ohio" right now in Columbus

The fact that the NLHLPA representative from CBJ is our captain (who believes that nothing serious happened, unlike some players who think otherwise) adds a special piquancy to the scenario :teach2:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
That's where I'm at too.
IMO the locker room may become a mess (just with Jenner and Johnny publicly defending Babs vs at least one, and sounds like more than 1, younger player not being comfortable with it). Maybe somehow the team comes together, but more than likely I think it gets messy. NHL careers are short and to blow up a season in Mid-September won't sit well with some of the vets, no matter who the young player(s) are.
It's worse if Babs is retained IMO.
You forgot Zach Werenski.

They didn't ask the others. Even Johnny only responded to the question. Unfortunately, I agree that there can be problems in the locker room and I'm not sure Boone can bring the team together. After all, he is neither Brandon Dubinsky nor Nick Foligno. I hope I'm wrong. And if not, that there will be someone who does it.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I seemingly look at things completely different than the people who now look at Babcock less/worse than they did so before this “situation”.

What has he done that could possibly make me NOT like him??

The way people are turning on him (without even knowing what he did) makes me like him more. Quite frankly, I also have no problem with “assholes” either.
There is a big difference between a situation "not making you like him less" and a situation "making you like him more". What has he done to make you like him more? I could understand if you said 'this thing has been so overblown and there is nothing to see here...I don't like him any less as the CBJ coach.' But saying 'this thing has been so overblown and there is nothing to see here...I now like him more.' is baffling.

1694953042635.png

Reactions: Marioesque

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Going to just have to see how this plays out. But remember, we had to deal with the haters when they hired Torts as well.

A) Torts did not have this level of hate from former players.
B) Torts did not have claims of abuse by former players.
C) His tenure did not immediately start with an investigation by the league.

Come on now.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
§11 of universal declaration of players rights NHLPA
“Every player has the right to a private life, privacy and protection in relation to the collection, storage and transfer of personal data”

Why does NHLPA need to save its face? No, troika will punish harshly

It would need to save face if a report that is supposed to stay confidential somehow got leaked. That could dissuade players from engaging the NHLPA in future issues.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
A) Torts did not have this level of hate from former players.
B) Torts did not have claims of abuse by former players.
C) His tenure did not immediately start with an investigation by the league.

Come on now.
Torts did try to beat up an opposing team though. Apples and oranges but a controversial hire none the less.

Torts had players who hated him and Torts had players who respected him.
Babcock has players that hate him and has some players who respected him as well such as Nash that advocated his hire. I'm sure there are others too but nobody wants to talk to those people because its not newsworthy.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
At this point I don't care about what happened, how innocent this or that is/was, the rhetorical "snowflake" namecalling from people defending this as nothing, etc, etc. I'm done with these guys. This management team has been around over a decade and no matter what happened or what player(s) were involved this is where we are and they must own it. All this happening with one week before camp where fans with hopes of improvement of a team of young players full of promise after that miserable last season are wondering whats going on. JD and Jarmo took this gamble and there is unecessary drama already. This may turn into nothing but this isn't a good look at all. If Babcock is fireable then JD and Jarmo need to go with him. Embarrasing.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
As much of a chance as there is that this was a fireable offense (for all three of Babcock, Jarmo, and JD), there’s just as much of a chance that it’s still nothing. The silence is causing the speculation to lead towards the most negative possible scenarios.

Also, for as much as Babcock’s reputation precedes him, I’m not sure that a controversy being caused by some people with a serious bone to pick is a fireable offense on its own for Jarmo and JD. If Babcock truly did something unacceptable to the players, then it is. But a controversy in and of itself is not worthy of anyone losing jobs, IMO.

All that said, would I be surprised at either scenario being the truth? Nope.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
At this point I don't care about what happened, how innocent this or that is/was, the rhetorical "snowflake" namecalling from people defending this as nothing, etc, etc. I'm done with these guys. This management team has been around over a decade and no matter what happened or what player(s) were involved this is where we are and they must own it. All this happening with one week before camp where fans with hopes of improvement of a team of young players full of promise after that miserable last season are wondering whats going on. JD and Jarmo took this gamble and there is unecessary drama already. This may turn into nothing but this isn't a good look at all. If Babcock is fireable then JD and Jarmo need to go with him. Embarrasing.
Don't forget that Babcock has already done just this and no one has had any problems with it.

Halfboard

Nov 30, 2005
You nailed it. :thumbu:

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
So you like it that he's an asshole, by your own admission?
Yes, I like my coaches to have an edge to them and not be soft on the players. Same goes for the captains of the team. Many Brad Larsen haters claim he was a bad coach partly due to being the complete opposite, right??
And you prefer it that he created all this attention to his asshole ways, because you want that to be the course of the team?

Is that correct? By your words, you've been more impressed by him after all this, so it's the being n asshole that appeals to you?
1st, Mike Babcock did not “create all this attention”. None of the claims of what happened are even that he was as “asshole” or “mean”/attacking in any way. I’m just saying this seems to be some sort of “kicker” or “trump card” that all his haters keep throwing out there to SOMEHOW be used as “proof” of something.

And yes, in general or as a hockey coach, I don’t have a problem with many “assholes”. It’s all perception. Someone has to be an asshole to the REAL assholes in life.

There is a big difference between a situation "not making you like him less" and a situation "making you like him more". What has he done to make you like him more? I could understand if you said 'this thing has been so overblown and there is nothing to see here...I don't like him any less as the CBJ coach.' But saying 'this thing has been so overblown and there is nothing to see here...I now like him more.' is baffling.

View attachment 743725
To both of you, let me get this straight, other people’s negative opinions of someone or something can only make you feel negatively about that person or thing?? And quite frankly, there’s not very many things that he could actually have done that will make me look at him any worse than I did before.

I’ve also not said that HE has done anything to like him more than I did beforehand. To be clear, I didn’t actually have much of an opinion on Babcock at all before he became the CBJ coach.

Why I like him more now has EVERYTHING to do with how the fake news mainstream shit sports journalists and whatever Spittin Chiclets is considered, have turned this into, and what seems like the majority of CBJ fans have bought into, or even seemingly felt about Babcock personally before hand.

I became a Columbus Blue Jacket fan for literally the same exact reason why I like Babcock more today than I did 3 weeks ago.

Happy?

And I haven’t even ONCE said that the player might be Superstar Laine!!

Last edited:

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
And I haven’t even ONCE said that the player might be Superstar Laine!!

This counts as one.

It's not a one player thing, they wouldn't be going back to previous teams if this was about one person's report. But I'm not at all surprised that's where your mind is going because simple people like simple answers to complex problems.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
This tells me nothing has changed either way. When there is something to know, we will know.
I think we’ll know more tomorrow or Tuesday. Give everyone the weekend off to cool down, reconvene together Monday. See what happens from there

Reactions: Marioesque
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad