Confirmed with Link: CBJ hire Mike Babcock as head coach (UPDATE: Under NHLPA Investigation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah at that age you're pretty set as who you are. I've always found his demeanor dishonest and not genuine, a bit of a character to fool people into thinking he's something that he isn't. People put on a show to hide their traits. I definitely don't think he wants to see peoples families and is interested in that, but he thinks it's the kind of bonding humans would do and it could look like he's caring and personable. Of course it sounds like a snake in a ill fitting person suit to me, but some people buy it and he's rich.

All that said, I want this to blow over and Jackets to start the season without this garbage hanging over the team. If he was just his clumsy self when trying to person, then give him a training session to learn boundaries and avoid these weirdo things. If anything comes up that indicates he did anything that would cross any lines, get rid of him, call Jalonen and beg. Season hasn't started so it doesn't have to be lost on this crap.

Funny. I've always found Babs to have a phony demeanor, I instinctively distrust him, yet I find it very easy to believe that he actually cares about family stuff and enjoys getting to know people.

I'm waiting for him to at some point power trip and significantly cross boundaries, I think he has that tendency, but it appears nothing has happened yet.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
All that said, I want this to blow over and Jackets to start the season without this garbage hanging over the team. If he was just his clumsy self when trying to person, then give him a training session to learn boundaries and avoid these weirdo things. If anything comes up that indicates he did anything that would cross any lines, get rid of him, call Jalonen and beg. Season hasn't started so it doesn't have to be lost on this crap.
This should be our catch phrase this year.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Ownership should hold off commenting until the PA investigation is complete. After going over the information provided by the PA investigation and having the opportunity to follow up with their own questions to the concerned parties, only then should ownership make their opinions known.
That sounds like a reasonable and boring way to deal with this matter. We want entertainment and hot takes!

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
So I got my wife up to date on the situation and her 1st reaction was "wait, that Tortellini guy isnt the coach anymore?" and after we got that straightened out she laughed at how absurd the whole situation is like I did
My wife’s reaction was “this coach sounds like a prick”. And then proceeded to admonish me for caring about this so much. Lol

Differing opinions everywhere!

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Funny. I've always found Babs to have a phony demeanor, I instinctively distrust him, yet I find it very easy to believe that he actually cares about family stuff and enjoys getting to know people.

I'm waiting for him to at some point power trip and significantly cross boundaries, I think he has that tendency, but it appears nothing has happened yet.

With that personality he has, it's only a matter of time. This one will probably blow over with some "we'll review our staff communication guidelines and have all necessary training provided" but there will be the next thing and the next thing until the contract ends one way or another. And the media and Toronto are there to make it happen if it can be done, he's not going to get anyones benefit of a doubt.

And as for caring about family stuff, maybe who knows but from what I have heard from different players, lower in the team hierarchy, he barely remembers your name and where he met you last type of thing. He'll be into the bigger names of the team, really "caring" about his stars lives because they're his breadwinners. His success hinges on them.

That sounds like a reasonable and boring way to deal with this matter. We want entertainment and hot takes!

To us this is like reality TV is for women, here for the drama.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Portzline on NHL radio labeling it a very serious matter, gloomy outlook, mentioned that he felt the team thought it was settled/over with going into today.. later admitting he doesn’t know any actual confirmed details of what happened so.. :huh:

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
To me - it sounds more and more like the conversation (with at least 1 player) must have been more like what Bar Stool led with of "hey give me your phone I want to see the pictures or what kind of person you are" much more so of "hey I want to get to know you, can I see pictures of your family". I don't think there would be an investigation if it was "can I see pictures of the family".
The NHLPA has to investigate this case any way once it became known to the and a news story. They also need to be thorough with it so that all sides will be heard.

Reactions: Marioesque

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Portzline on NHL radio labeling it a very serious matter, gloomy outlook, mentioned that he felt the team thought it was settled/over with going into today.. later admitting he doesn’t know any actual confirmed details of what happened so.. :huh:

This is what is being passed around and amplified by everyone now. No one knows any details beyond the innocuous stuff players talked about earlier this week, so all we're getting is bad gut feelings tweeted and re-tweeted.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
imo it would be very strange for fantilli – who had a tv crew following him around in the days leading up to the draft, outright told another camera crew before the draft that he wanted to land in columbus, and posts on instagram much more than most players do – to be that staunchly opposed to sharing surface-level details from his personal life with his head coach.

maybe there's (a lot) more to it than that. or maybe that part was fabricated because commodore has an axe to grind with babcock.
he did say he wanted to go to columbus because at that time, they should have gotten pick #2 with the consensus being bedard at 1 and carlsson at 3-4. then cbj got pick 3 and ana picked carlsson, so it just worked out to what he said, not what he necessarily wanted. If the flyers were projected to picking second, he would have said flyers.

He also said it before babcock was hired and who knows if he really knew the stuff babcock did before anyways. So, I am not buying what your selling on those fronts.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
They'll sit down with a player, hand them a phone replica and ask them to point where Mike touched
They will also offer training in how to organize your pictures in folders and hiding them. Young players will benefit from this, but it’s also strongly recommended for players that have kids who hijack their devices.

Is this good or bad?
It’s neither good or bad, since the investigation is still ongoing.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Is this good or bad?
Its neither, but I'd lean toward bad. If there was nothing found, it would be a quick conversation and a quick public release like "NHLPA found no wrong doings".

If there was something bad found, it would be here's what we found, now we need to escalate to see what level of bad this is and what is the appropriate action to take moving forward imo.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
This is a PR disaster, which could be seen a mile away. The people who set it in motion should face consequences: the people who thought hiring Babcock was a good idea. In any other industry, if you cause a PR nightmare than involves a union, the national media, and this much scrutiny, you lose your job. Jarmo, JD, everyone. I don’t even care if Babcock did every little thing Commodore says, though Commodore is about as credible as my cat, but to open an org already struggling with public perception to this kind of firestorm is unacceptable. It was always going to be something. Babcock was always going to do something that caused this to explode, because that’s who he is. What’s the parable of the frog and the scorpion?
I just want to poke at this a bit. Honestly, I've seen this kind of nightmare with significant CEOs, and here's the fun part; their buddy network and system of qui pro quo based on who does in what board websites they have golden parachutes and that when they f*** up they will be find and end up in another CEO job.

I've seen CEOs get fired for basic shit that gets anyone fired and then they're being hired somewhere else is a huge win for the new place.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
So if the investigation finds what happened with Columbus was nothing but that he was a scum bag previously that should have been banned, who gets fired?

And also, why want this thorough of an investigation of Toronto and Detroit done previously?

Reactions: thebus88

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
Didn’t the NHL already do some sort of investigation before the hire of Babcock? And found him good to come back.

So I assume anything happened before that can’t have any meaning now. Or else the NHL did a bad job (couple months ago) and now CBJ pays for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad