Confirmed with Link: CBJ hire Mike Babcock as head coach (UPDATE: Under NHLPA Investigation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City

Interesting. I will say of all the names we all have discussed on here, he wasn't my favorite but he also wasn't someone I absolutely didn't want. Middle of the road pick for me. But let's see if it's just speculation or actually happening. It has been quiet so this could just be something for more people to write about and it's nothing. Not saying it is though.

Reactions: LJ7

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Just remember, although his shit was nowhere near as serious, Torts was seen as a dumpster fire decision with a lot of baggage.

Things worked out that time.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Welp. Hope it's not true but willing to give a chance if it is.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I'm not sure we can catch lightning in a bottle twice. But I'll watch just in case.
I totally get the apprehension. I cannot fault anyone for being upset. I don’t love this either (although I did advocate for it). But he’s a damn good coach. And one we could get a lot of value with.

The Marner shit(which was terrible and I’m not trying to belittle) overshadows A lot of good work he’s done with developing young players.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
It seems like informed speculation. Not just the regular stuff we’ve seen in recent weeks from Porty/Friedman.

32TP today said Friedman heard we were getting close (as of Friday). So I assume this “hiring” is a last 24 hour thing.

I wonder if Toronto will just bite the bullet and pay him out what he’s owed now so we can announce it. I doubt it, and I don’t even know if that’s allowed, but yeah.

I assume the jackets and Babcock have a handshake deal on the contract and agreement to be coach and they’re just waiting for the Toronto thing to expire to put pen to paper.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I totally get the apprehension. I cannot fault anyone for being upset. I don’t love this either (although I did advocate for it). But he’s a damn good coach. And one we could get a lot of value with.

The Marner shit(which was terrible and I’m not trying to belittle) overshadows A lot of good work he’s done with developing young players.
He is a knowledgeable coach which is different than a good coach. The guy was fired for creating a toxic work environment. At our place we fired VP for that and it’s something I tried to screen for when hiring…..failed to catch it with one hire and had to act quick to mitigate damage.

If this fails, Jarmo should be ejected as quickly as possible.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Cant wait for the first trade requests to pop up after Babcock humaliates players in front of their teammates to motivate them. Nicely undoes all the good Johhny did to the reputation

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Facebook is fun, Im arguing with people that think Babcock won the Cup with Anaheim in the Getzlaf/Perry era and that Detroit was a bad team before he took over :laugh:

Reactions: We Want Ten

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
You get the hard nosed of Torts, with a huge track record of player development . I grew up a Red Wings fan , with an aging team , Zetterberg, Datsyuk turned into stars… Same thing in Toronto… they were just super young and poorly constructed …Best hire we could have made

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
If this fails, Jarmo should be ejected as quickly as possible.
Regardless of who Jarmo hires you could say this. If this team is not in the playoffs within two years Jarmo and JD and the coach they bring in this year are all most likely gone. Again, not the way I want this to go but if it is Babs, this just shows how much Jarmo recognizes he needed a coach with a track record of NHL on-ice success and isn't going to risk his job on a Lars/Carbery/Vincent type of hire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00