Confirmed with Link: CBJ Fire Scott Howson, name Jarmo Kekalainen replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Hab fan here wishing you guys the best, you deserve this.

Avs fan here, saying this as well.

I already dislike what JD is doing.

WHAT? He just took out the garbage. Seriously, Howson was clueless.

Just heard on TSN that the panel believes there's a good chance the new GM will be Jarmo Kekalainen (if he's going to leave Jokerit) and that would be absolutely AMAZING for your guys. Jarmo is an incredible hockey mind and an even better scout...that current Blues team has his fingerprints all over it.

I hope for you guys, that's your new GM.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Just had to put up with listening to Milbury spew his drivel about the situation.

Blue Jackets are going to have to start over from scratch. It's too bad for the fans in Columbus.

The last thing in the world I want to hear is pity from that POS. Guess I'll have brace myself cuz every Tom, Dick, and Harry with an opinion is going to feel the need to analyze the situation and grace us with it. Whether they have a clue or not.

Gonna be a tough few days.

It will be more sympathy than anything else. Not hard for anyone to analyze the situation.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Jarmo brings instant credibility. Here's hoping for you guys.

Matthew

OK Boomer
Dec 21, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Bringing out the brooms.

Z7MCnxi.jpg

Bring me my army of Yes Men.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Just heard while watching Rangers-Bruins. Surprised at the timing but hey better sooner than later. I agree with whoever said that JD apparently wanted his guy in place well before the draft.

Reactions: Koira

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Avs fan here, saying this as well.

WHAT? He just took out the garbage. Seriously, Howson was clueless.

Just heard on TSN that the panel believes there's a good chance the new GM will be Jarmo Kekalainen (if he's going to leave Jokerit) and that would be absolutely AMAZING for your guys. Jarmo is an incredible hockey mind and an even better scout...that current Blues team has his fingerprints all over it.

I hope for you guys, that's your new GM.

Now THAT is out of the box thinking!

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
He's been in the front office of a winning team, is held in high regard around the league and it's his time. And I agree with a previous post that the idea of two goalies in charge in kind of cool. At least we can FINALLY hope to have some quality in net.

Thank you.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
Not surprised by the move. I suppose JD wants the GM in here soon as the trade deadline will fast be upon us and most likely we'll be shedding some baggage and we need to make sure we get good returns.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
That is good to hear. I don't want Davidson doing both. We need a good President and a good GM.

Maybe that's why he fired Howson. Howson wasn't his guy so maybe JD had to "baby sit" him and watch every single thing Howson did. By bringing in a new GM(Jarmo Kekelainen, who he knows) ,it's who JD likes and will let him do his thing. JD no longer needs to worry about GM duties and go on with other things.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What.
The.

I swear to G-d and Heaven above, if Brian Burke is a planned replacement, I am abandoning this team.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
What.
The.

I swear to G-d and Heaven above, if Brian Burke is a planned replacement, I am abandoning this team.

Only fans around here speculating that. Nobody in the media has said anything about Burke.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Maybe that's why he fired Howson. Howson wasn't his guy so maybe JD had to "baby sit" him and watch every single thing Howson did. By bringing in a new GM(Jarmo Kekelainen, who he knows) ,it's who JD likes and will let him do his thing. JD no longer needs to worry about GM duties and go on with other things.

I agree that he needs to have a guy he trusts. That is one thing that the Reds have done a good job with. They have a good front office and they are all allowed to do their job. I think that is a big reason why the Reds drafting and on field performance have improved.

Stretch Factor

Jun 26, 2007
Three things are surprising to me about this and none of them relate to the actual firing of Howson.

1. The timing- I thought they'd give it at least the shortened season. Especially considering JD is already in charge and likely has the final say over all personnel decisions.
2. The reaction from some fans- hard to believe anyone either A. wanted to keep Howson or B. Are surprised by the move. The writing was on the wall a long time ago that Howson's days were numbered.
3. That this thread is four pages long only 30 min after the announcement. That shows there is still some life left in the fan base.

CapnCornelius

Oct 28, 2006
I can't see Patrick sneaking around behind Howson's back to get his job. It just can't be him.

At one point he was angling for the job. That doesn't mean it is him, but I'm just saying, Craig Patrick is looking out for #1.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Maybe not

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline

#CBJ pres of hockey John Davidson had been thinking about firing Howson for an extended time; wanted to get his replacement lined up first.

That makes me feel somewhat better about the process. Because that way it's not a "fire him and then figure it out" setup like so many seemed to be advocating.

If it is Jarmo... I could live with that.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
It will be more sympathy than anything else. Not hard for anyone to analyze the situation.

My point is whoever JD brings in is not starting from scratch as so many are going say or imply. There is a lot here. Not to say there isn't work to do but there are a lot of positives. The cupboard is not bare.

As most are aware I have been one of the very last Howsenites, but I did expect it. There was too much water over the damn or under the bridge. Clean slates are the order of the day and it probably had to be done. Now that book is closed and a new one is to be written. my loyalties are to the team not to any individual.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
What.
The.

JD will still have complete control. I can't see Burke and JD co existing because of that. Also, I think Burke would want full control and not have to ask permission from JD to see if his moves are ok. So if it's someone like Jarmo Kekelainen, I don't think he'll mind. Gets a chance to become an NHL GM and rather then thinking JD as a boss(having to have all his moves run through JD first), maybe he'll look up to JD as a mentor.

Stretch Factor

Jun 26, 2007
A 4th thing that surprises me is that anyone can honestly think Brian Burke would be a candidate.

There is no way on earth that two big personalities can coexist (JD and Burke). There are at least 30 regular posters on this board alone that would get hired before Brian Burke.

EDIT- and I'm a fan of Brian Burke. But, JD and Burke are oil and water.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
A 4th thing that surprises me is that anyone can honestly think Brian Burke would be a candidate.

There is no way on earth that two big personalities can coexist (JD and Burke). There are at least 30 regular posters on this board alone that would get hired before Brian Burke.

Can I count on this board's regular posters as references for me?;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad