Confirmed with Link: CBJ Fire Scott Howson, name Jarmo Kekalainen replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Why is The entire head of the Hockey ops team taking in a Pens game? Could this be a sign that possibly some pro scouts (Peter Dineen among them, The horror! :sarcasm: ) are going to be shown the door?

I'm sorry, I missed the significance of the former in relation to the latter.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Good interview with Jarmo on Edmonton radio today. Seems like a really smart articulate guy. I like him so far.

Dropkick Murphy

Jul 9, 2011
In the bubble
It's not that easy to play well in every game when you don't face many shots.

4th in games played, 1st in shutouts, 3rd in wins, 3rd in GAA & 10th in percentage. He is easily a top 5 goalie in Finland, even though he has a bad game every now and then. If he was more consistent, he wouldn't play in Finland.

Short of off-topic now, but Kekäläinen's Jokerit busted out on first round in FEL play-offs. And mostly because of their goaltending and defense being horrible, the starter Kilpeläinen choked (as it was predicted) and back-up Tuohimaa was not trusted by coaches. Jokerit's failure to reach even finals with 3rd year in row with league's top paybill must be ruled as failure. As said before, Kekäläinen almost neglected the goaltending (shaky 1, one of the worst 2 in whole league and very inexperienced goaltending coach). Also the defense corps were far away from contender-level.

Offense was great, and I would assume that trading for Gaborik fits for this philosophy. So, expect CBJ to be heavily loaded with offense and saving on defense corps.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Short of off-topic now, but Kekäläinen's Jokerit busted out on first round in FEL play-offs. And mostly because of their goaltending and defense being horrible, the starter Kilpeläinen choked (as it was predicted) and back-up Tuohimaa was not trusted by coaches. Jokerit's failure to reach even finals with 3rd year in row with league's top paybill must be ruled as failure. As said before, Kekäläinen almost neglected the goaltending (shaky 1, one of the worst 2 in whole league and very inexperienced goaltending coach). Also the defense corps were far away from contender-level.

Offense was great, and I would assume that trading for Gaborik fits for this philosophy. So, expect CBJ to be heavily loaded with offense and saving on defense corps.

Way off... :shakehead

Jokerit lost to a team(Lukko) that got a major confidence-boost by winning Kärpät(a team also considered a favorite to win SM-liiga) in the first round of playoffs and due to injuries to key-players! Lukko also has the 2 hottest players in the league atm(Azevedo&Vehanen)!

To put the loss on GM Kekäläinen is beyond stupid!!!

Jokerit won the regular season and was a clear favorite to win SM-liiga. If u blame a GM, who left when the team was No.1, and not the coaching I don`t know what to say? Maybe it was Kekäläinen who injured Filppula and shaked the goalies glove?:help:

Dropkick Murphy

Jul 9, 2011
In the bubble

Jokerit lost to a team(Lukko) that got a major confidence-boost by winning Kärpät(a team also considered a favorite to win SM-liiga) in the first round of playoffs and due to injuries to key-players! Lukko also has the 2 hottest players in the league atm(Azevedo&Vehanen)!

Jokerit won the regular season and was a clear favorite to win SM-liiga. If u blame a GM, who left when the team was No.1, and not the coaching I don`t know what to say? Maybe it was Kekäläinen who injured Filppula and shaked the goalies glove?:help:

Kekäläinen failed in building solid goaltending system for Jokerit. Kilpeläinen's confidence problems are well-known in Finnish circles, Tuohimaa was not a capable back-up and Jokerit chose Ketterer as goalie coach. Those were GM's choices, not players or coaches. Also, the material at Jokerit defense was not up to level of competition. Only when Karlsson was playing during block-out they had solid leader in defense (when playing with puck). Apart from Väänänen, the rest of the corps were not among league's premium or even semi-premium defenders.

Jokerit had these same problem in varying magnitudes during whole Kekäläinen's three year tenure. Regular season was 6,6 and 1 (14 teams in league), play-offs was two first round exits and one series won. I also highly doubt that Jokerit had won the regular season without Karlsson and V.Filppula, who were the top2 out of all block-out players in FEL. Jokerit were maybe unlucky against Lukko, but their problems were more than just occasional, they were same problems that they had battled with last three years. This, together with top play bill was not good.

As stated before, I have confidence in Kekäläinen, but there seem to be some holes in his philosophy which need correction. However, in CBJ it's more about Davidson and Kekäläinen forming the strategy together, not Kekäläinen as sole dictator like in case of Jokerit. I also believe he is a good choice for CBJ, but his actions in FEL are way too overrated here in HFboards.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

lol Kärpät wasn't for real. They were never at this "team to beat".

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
BS. Gaborik was picked as CBJ doesn't score much. They needed high top-3 top-6 forward talent.

Imo Jokerit talk doesn't belong here but I say: Goalie Kilpeläinen was very good in regular season but melted in playoffs and add some injuries there. Jokerit didn't play bad...they controlled most of the games but just couldn't score goals against maybe one of the best goalies in Europe. Yes there were some positions that needed upgrade but SM-liiga isn't NHL where you can trade players and getting high profiled players to some positions means you have to fight their signings with rest of the Europe. If players want just money they most likely end up in KHL, Elitserien or Swiss league.

Kekäläinen's job was also more than building the roster. He totally changed the culture of the organization to being more professional and rebuild the junior system totally.

Being a GM in SM-liiga and being a GM in NHL is different as your tools and what you can do are different. Jarmo being a scouting focused pro fits into NHL world even better.

Jarmo did a good job in Jokerit in just 3 years and some fans just want somebody to blame about the surprise playoff round exit.

Last edited:

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
Kekäläinen failed in building solid goaltending system for Jokerit. Kilpeläinen's confidence problems are well-known in Finnish circles, Tuohimaa was not a capable back-up and Jokerit chose Ketterer as goalie coach. Those were GM's choices, not players or coaches. Also, the material at Jokerit defense was not up to level of competition. Only when Karlsson was playing during block-out they had solid leader in defense (when playing with puck). Apart from Väänänen, the rest of the corps were not among league's premium or even semi-premium defenders.

Jokerit had these same problem in varying magnitudes during whole Kekäläinen's three year tenure. Regular season was 6,6 and 1 (14 teams in league), play-offs was two first round exits and one series won. I also highly doubt that Jokerit had won the regular season without Karlsson and V.Filppula, who were the top2 out of all block-out players in FEL. Jokerit were maybe unlucky against Lukko, but their problems were more than just occasional, they were same problems that they had battled with last three years. This, together with top play bill was not good.

As stated before, I have confidence in Kekäläinen, but there seem to be some holes in his philosophy which need correction. However, in CBJ it's more about Davidson and Kekäläinen forming the strategy together, not Kekäläinen as sole dictator like in case of Jokerit. I also believe he is a good choice for CBJ, but his actions in FEL are way too overrated here in HFboards.

I take it you're a bitter Jokerit-fan? Claiming that Karlsson and V.Filppula were major factors for Jokerit finishing 1st in regular season is just laughable, they were just the cherry on the top, the team played just great without them too.

And how the hell could anyone have foreseen the collapse of Kilpeläinen? He was very good in regular season, you don't win the regular season with a crappy goaltender.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
To the guys above, hopefully you are finnished. :laugh:

Food for thought - Does Howson even consider making the Gaborik trade?

I don't think so.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
To the guys above, hopefully you are finnished. :laugh:

Food for thought - Does Howson even consider making the Gaborik trade?

I don't think so.

From JD's comments yesterday on the FAN, sounds like the organization: Him and Jarmo, especially, did a lot of legwork to get it done and talk to Gaborik. It certainly probably sounsds better getting a "sell job" from JD and Jarmo vs. Howson and its easier to give it your best college try when the team you're headed to is still in a playoff race.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Howson had no idea what the word "chemistry" meant as applied to a hockey team until Patrick joined as his "advisor" last year. The five years prior were spent randomly shuffling players in and out.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Howson had no idea what the word "chemistry" meant as applied to a hockey team until Patrick joined as his "advisor" last year. The five years prior were spent randomly shuffling players in and out.

Yeah but since we're playing unknowable historical speculation what if game... You might as well ladle all of the **** onto the table at once.

Doctor Spin

Oct 4, 2007
Why did you folks show the Finns the door? This was one of the more interesting slug fests I've read on the CBJ HF board. Moreover, it again showed me how the moves of a clearly competent and expert GM in a league he knows completely can be challenged by a pissed-off but articulate fan. As long as JK is with us, the CBJ board should be as open to Finn grousing as it is to Buckeye whining. Besides, as long as gives me a little insight into how JK thinks, acts, and might overlook stuff, I will gladly listen to a bit of FEL chatter.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Another take would be - do you think Howson's thinking "I hope Jarmo didn't bust up the chemistry the roster I assembled had."?

I guess since Dorse and Moore played randomly or very little during the last month, I would assume we are talking about Brassard? If so, probably not a huge loss. Dorse was certainly a level of accountability in the lockerroom. The question was, was he redundant in that role?

Should be interesting to see what happens going forward, but Prospal, when he retires, might be a test for this team. We do have Dubi, AA, JMFJ, etc. that seem to be intent upon winning.

Obviously, I consider this question of yours a bit rhetorical on your part. After all, very few actually care about what Howson thinks, in relation to the Jackets, anymore.

As far as the fight that broke out with our visitors, I can safely say that I don't know enough about his time overseas to form an opinion or know any of you well enough to trust your opinion(s). I know more about what he has assisted with in the US and that seems to be mostly positive. What I do like is his decisiveness. It would take Howson years to close a deal, at least the important ones. I don't think we'll be looking at that now. These two would never have let Mason destroy the team like Howson did.

Will they make mistakes? Sure. But I am far more forgiving of mistakes if you aren't afraid to make them. I wouldn't say Howson was a coward to make deals, but he certainly wasn't as willing to stick his neck out there. Sometimes a vertical move can be more impacting to a team than a clear win. Howson tried that only a couple of times. I'm not sure he understood the importance of sending a message to the locker room. These two aren't afraid to do that.

Will this new marriage end well? No idea. But I like it far better than Howson/Priest. Howson always gave me the impression that he was too insecure to surround himself with great people. Not so with this group.

The deal that JK made yesterday is a bit of a risk. However if it completely fails, we are in a great cap position at the end of the next season. We have a lot of depth at defense and role players. Brassard was Brassard. Good player, especially on the PP. His loss could hurt, but it isn't catastrophic. We got a guy that could score 30+ goals for the next 5 or 6 seasons. We rolled the dice and I'm fine with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad