Confirmed with Link: CBJ Fire Scott Howson, name Jarmo Kekalainen replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
In Finnish tv-interview posted few pages ago here is few things Jarmo said about the picks, basic things but shows that they are keeping everything open in the draft day.

-With the three 1st round picks we can really change the course of the team
-We can pick 3 players in the 1st round
-It's possible also to move up in the draft (lose one 1st rounder, and get two first round picks higher)
-Also you can trade one 1st rounder and get a player and maybe lower draft pick(s)
-All these are possible and we just have to check draft lists/players carefully and talk with the scout team and when we enter the draft table we have different choices and strategies how to use those three 1st rounders.
-He also said that the continuation building of the team is the focus but also wants to win games

Thanks

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
Hey jackets fans, as a blues fan I can't describe how good Kelkalinen is at what he does. he was the head of our scouting department and was able to pick a ton of our core today like Oshie, Petro, Berglund, many more to name. His attitude about the game is amazing and he will do very well paired with JD.

Looks like you guys will soon be replacing Detroit in the top-4 of the central with NASH, CHI, STL, and CBJ.

Get excited.

weber32*

Teuvo teravainen

New columbus gm why to try to get teuvo teravainen fromm chicago hawks ?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Why would the Hawks deal him?

I want him, but A.)Hes not going anywhere anytime soon. B.) I don't think JK would be willing to give up what they would want for him. At least not OUR first.

But hypothetically what would it take to make that possible?

Johansen? Johansen +?

A pick? A pick + ?

edit: Woah did that Teuvo thread get moved into here?

Last edited:

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I want him, but A.)Hes not going anywhere anytime soon. B.) I don't think JK would be willing to give up what they would want for him. At least not OUR first.

But hypothetically what would it take to make that possible?

Johansen? Johansen +?

A pick? A pick + ?

edit: Woah did that Teuvo thread get moved into here?

I can't see Johansen being moved while he's starting to establish himself in the NHL for someone who's two full years behind in the development curve and likely doesn't project as high anyway.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Here is the money quote:

"I believe in fast hockey, I believe in quick hockey, not only in terms of skating, but thinking and the instincts for the game," he said. "Character, heart and instincts and hockey sense are going to be the key things we're going to be looking at when we're scouting players, whether it's pros or amateurs. Because I think that translates best to fast hockey."

I like his focus on thinking and instincts, and looking for players who can process the game at high speed. I have a pet theory that guys like Filatov struggle because they can't process the game at nhl speed. I think you can see it when guys have great shots, passes and speed in practice but can't ever put it together in nhl game situations - they look much slower because they are constantly out of position and slow to react.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Here is the money quote:

"I believe in fast hockey, I believe in quick hockey, not only in terms of skating, but thinking and the instincts for the game," he said. "Character, heart and instincts and hockey sense are going to be the key things we're going to be looking at when we're scouting players, whether it's pros or amateurs. Because I think that translates best to fast hockey."

I like his focus on thinking and instincts, and looking for players who can process the game at high speed. I have a pet theory that guys like Filatov struggle because they can't process the game at nhl speed. I think you can see it when guys have great shots, passes and speed in practice but can't ever put it together in nhl game situations - they look much slower because they are constantly out of position and slow to react.

The bolded would basically indicate a continuation of the Howson method, which in itself is what Detroit focused on during their prime years of drafting.

Filatov's issue wasn't seeing and processing the ice, it was actually doing anything except for skating around the perimeter and trying to go through an entire team.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Filatov's issue wasn't seeing and processing the ice, it was actually doing anything except for skating around the perimeter and trying to go through an entire team.

Filatov's hockey sense is questionable, but he was also rather uncoachable because he's stuck playing one way. When he was playing "his" game, he looked okay. That's why he wowed early on, especially in the preseason, but once he tried to integrate what the coaching staff was telling him, he stopped playing instinctively. You could practically see him thinking on the ice.

Filatov did try to go into the "difficult" areas of the ice, but he did it poorly, it wasn't effective for him and he got rocked in the game in Stockholm

I'm not sure Jarmo's criteria exactly would prevent another Filatov from being drafted, but it seems like the right direction and not an abrupt change from what Howson was doing.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Here is the money quote:

I like his focus on thinking and instincts, and looking for players who can process the game at high speed....

Sounds like the perfect explanation why Vinny, though clearly much slower than in past seasons, can still be a productive player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad