Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] F Johnny Gaudreau signs with the Blue Jackets (7 years, $9.75M AAV)

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
It’s easier with this:

Columbus didn’t enter the Gaudreau chat until after this. Note the time of the announcement, not the presser, everyone knew what it meant. Philly was out.

We know Columbus wasn’t counting to sign him earlier because Jarmo had a press conference announcing his big signing of the day… at 3pm.

Jarmo had mentioned that he called the Gaudreau camp at noon to say he was interested and went about his day and then all this happened after his 3pm presser.

Being closer to family by signing in the East was a goal apparently but Gaudreau really wanted to be a Flyer. He grew up a huge Flyers/Philly fan, spends his off-season in South Jersey and his family is mainly from Philly.

He’s also close friends with a number of players on Flyers and they’re all buddies: Hayes, Farrabee, Atkinson, and the newly signed DeAngelo. He worked out off-season for years with DeAngelo, they do charity (Checking for Charity) in South Jersey together. It’s kind of hilarious that the Flyers went out and added DeAngelo and then never even made a move for Gaudreau.

Gaudreau thought Philly would dump salary and call him. It also was rumored before this that even though the Devils were a back-up plan his wife didn’t want to live in the NY metro area, which is a problem with the Devils because their area is ~15 miles from Manhattan. That also makes the NYI a no go.

He was likely hoping for a bidding war between those two teams but that never materialized. (It’s not like Lou could even afford to add any initial offer, it’s a stretch that they could make this work.) As people have said, it’s not hard to visit from Ohio, so being North Jersey wasn’t a huge win. It’s unclear what they Devils bid was (I’ve heard several different numbers).

You don't know if they attempted a move, though.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Uh, maybe you do?

Its a 1 hour flight or a 6.5 hour drive. It's plenty close enough to home.
I don't know what world you live in but the distance between Carney's Point and Columbus is 460 miles and in my world that's not close. I also suspect the drive time is closer to 8 hours not 6.5 hours unless you plan on peeing in a bottle so you don't have to stop and you have a vehicle that gets fantastic gas mileage and has a huge tank so that refueling isn't necessary. Oh.. and pack a lunch so you can eat while you're driving. As for flying.. well there is the time to drive to the airport, park the car, check your baggage, and then the airlines always ask you to show up at least one hour before your flight leaves. And when you get to your destination you get to stand around waiting for your luggage. All that takes more than the measly one hour you like to pretend it takes.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I don't know what world you live in but the distance between Carney's Point and Columbus is 460 miles and in my world that's not close. I also suspect the drive time is closer to 8 hours not 6.5 hours unless you plan on peeing in a bottle so you don't have to stop and you have a vehicle that gets fantastic gas mileage and has a huge tank so that refueling isn't necessary. Oh.. and pack a lunch so you can eat while you're driving. As for flying.. well there is the time to drive to the airport, park the car, check your baggage, and then the airlines always ask you to show up at least one hour before your flight leaves. And when you get to your destination you get to stand around waiting for your luggage. All that takes more than the measly one hour you like to pretend it takes.
I literally used two time periods that Gaudreau cited. And honestly, that’s the only thing that matters. I don’t actually care about the distance it takes. But he did, and I bet he did more research than you did.

Lol. You think Gaudreau and his family are going to go through airports like typical patrons like us? He’ll fly them private.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I literally used two time periods that Gaudreau cited. And honestly, that’s the only thing that matters. I don’t actually care about the distance it takes. But he did, and I bet he did more research than you did.

Lol. You think Gaudreau and his family are going to go through airports like typical patrons like us? He’ll fly them private.
Call me pessimistic but I doubt he's leasing a private jet to fly his mother-in-law from wherever she lives to Columbus. I expect he'll spring for a first class ticket on a commercial airline but he and his family are just ordinary folk not silver spoon jet setters who think nothing of flying somewhere in a private Lear jet.... despite what he's being paid.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
Call me pessimistic but I doubt he's leasing a private jet to fly his mother-in-law from wherever she lives to Columbus. I expect he'll spring for a first class ticket on a commercial airline but he and his family are just ordinary folk not silver spoon jet setters who think nothing of flying somewhere in a private Lear jet.... despite what he's being paid.

Columbus Is headquarters for netjets. Private jets for ordinary working folk

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary

lol no he won’t, that would be crazy wasteful.

Nexus card and a Visa with lounge access, that’s all you need.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

lol no he won’t, that would be crazy wasteful.

Nexus card and a Visa with lounge access, that’s all you need.
See the above quote

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Stupid question... obviously the Gaudreau camp can afford it, but for curiosity sake how much would it cost to fly back and forth on a flight like that for Columbus to Philly?

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
Stupid question... obviously the Gaudreau camp can afford it, but for curiosity sake how much would it cost to fly back and forth on a flight like that for Columbus to Philly?
My understanding is it’s a subscription based system. I’ve heard numbers in the past (so I’m sure it’s more now) that if you are a person that flys a lot. This is actually cost effective. But mostly it’s about convenience. You don’t go through the airport or tsa.

80DD9A42-150A-49C1-8DCA-D49E0317471D.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
My understanding is it’s a subscription based system. I’ve heard numbers in the past (so I’m sure it’s more now) that if you are a person that flys a lot. This is actually cost effective

Cost effective as in vs business class or something? Like $5-10K per person per flight ish after subscription? Interesting.

That wouldn't be bad at all for them if they're flying both sets of parents plus the occasional sets of friends and extended family over to see the baby.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
Cost effective as in vs business class or something? Like $5-10K per person per flight ish after subscription? Interesting.

That wouldn't be bad at all for them if they're flying both sets of parents plus the occasional sets of friends and extended family over to see the baby.

It’s a depends on how many people you put on a plane, what level of plane you pick, how often you fly. How far you fly. Are you doing a shared ride flight with another nether member. What in flight add ins do you want. Different rates depending on volumes of flights. Johnny could be hooked into the cbj account and getting a better rate then a normal person. There’s to many variables to do a apples to oranges comparison.

But for people with needs for frequent travel. I have been told by customers and employees of the company “it’s totally worth it, not actually much more per flight if you use it a lot”

Also their safety standards are apparently higher then Gen pop airlines

Last edited:

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
This is probably their biggest ever, the last huge UFA signing being Adam Foote in 2005.
the most hyped one was probably nathan horton. former high pick in his prime who stepped up big time in the playoffs.

there's a parallel universe out there where horton didn't get hurt and the jackets had a few years of a line with jenner - dubinsky - horton in their primes just punishing dudes on the forecheck.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
what do Jackets fans realistically expect from him over the next couple of years?

Continue is 100+pt pace or drop a little? His stats have been pretty volatile over the years.

I would think anything above 80ish points would be worth the money? Hopefully a good playoff performance for once?

Can’t wait to see how Laine does with a true playmaker for once though. I think if healthy he could pot 50+

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I am pleased to see the BJs win a big UFA, which others have they managed to sign earlier?
I am as well but I still don’t understand Gaudreau’s reasoning or thought process in picking Columbus . Nothing against the team or city, just that it doesn’t seem like close to home at all and why not NJ? Yes I’m biased as I’m a Devils fan , but I don’t get why you wouldn’t live much closer and get paid the same? If closer to home was the priority … I do not get it . Ya his wife might not like the metro NJ area but I’m sure there are numerous places to live near the rink in NJ that you would never be able to tell you are living in a metro / busy area ?
It just seems like Johhny made a massive life decision an a whim. Googled Columbus , asked a couple buddies that said “ Ya it’s pretty cool” and said “ ok cool, sounds neat. I’ll live there for the next 7 years minimum“
Conspiracy theory- Johnny wants to eventually play for Philly. More likely he can get traded from Columbus to Philly than NJ to Philly …… ya it’s a massive stretch …..

Reactions: mattihp

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Columbus didn't even get better, dumping Bjorkstrand and adding the anchor Gudbranson negates Gaudreau's impact.

Though some of their younger players will get better and other existing players could have better seasons. But these summer moves were a wash.

• Haha
Reactions: hirawl

Blinny

This is the Sway
Jan 6, 2010
Dorchester
Columbus didn't even get better, dumping Bjorkstrand and adding the anchor Gudbranson negates Gaudreau's impact.

Though some of their younger players will get better and other existing players could have better seasons. But these summer moves were a wash.
Adding Johnny Hockey is worth far and away more than adding Gudbranson and trading Bjorkstrand.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Adding Johnny Hockey is worth far and away more than adding Gudbranson and trading Bjorkstrand.
Don't agree. Bjorkstrand is super underrated. Gudbranson could the the worst player in the league. Those two players' negative impact combined negates the positive impact of Gaudreau. If they gained say 5 wins with Gaudreau, they lost 5 with those two.

If Columbus improves, it's because their young guys take steps forward and existing players like Elvis has better season (and maybe Laine stays healthy too).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad