Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] F Johnny Gaudreau signs with the Blue Jackets (7 years, $9.75M AAV)

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
He claimed to have vetted the city of Columbus leading up to signing. Talked to people, players, etc.

That could’ve been him panic calling/texting former teammates and other connects the hours before the signing. But it seems like he had been doing this in the weeks leading to it.
Jarmo said they realized it was a possibility the day before he signed, so I'm guessing it was the 2nd sentence in your post.

Reactions: ThisIsMyAlibi

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
It would be utterly stupid to say he should have told the Flames to trade him a year out of his UFA. He's a young guy, probably wasn't sure what he wanted, maybe he could envision himself with Flames long term, or go somewhere closer to East Coast. Can't blame him for being indecisive or at least wanting to see what's out there.

Exactly. I'm sure he could envision all kinds of scenarios and he probably could be happy in any one of them. But you can only choose one. I don't think he's trying to deceive anyone, but even if he had decided long ago he was leaving there is literally no upside in going public with that. But I don't think it's the case.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
Jarmo said they realized it was a possibility the day before he signed, so I'm guessing it was the 2nd sentence in your post.
Here’s my takeaway:

Johnny wanted to be closer to home = half the league gets taken off the board

Johnny would prefer to play in America = a bunch of teams taken off the board

Johnny will be expensive = another chunk of the league gets taken off the board (flat cap + just no money available)

Johnny wants to be in Philly = no money. Taken off the board.

That left NJ, CBJ, and NYI? I think.

It’s still unclear to me who reached out to who first. CBJ or JG’s camp. I’ve seen mixed reports. Johnny’s agent was drawing up the papers with NJ when someone - either on CBJ or his camp - started talking about going to Columbus? Did they just leverage NJ the entire time to get Jarmo to make a certain number? I honestly don’t know. We probably never will.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Honestly, I think it is as simple as he wanted the most money possible at a new city/situation and he liked playing away games in Columbus, liked the city, and had a few friends recommend it... Lastly, it is closer to home, didn't absolutely have to be home. He has secured his and his family's future. It is not hard to imagine Columbus becoming competitive in that time frame...

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Here’s my takeaway:

Johnny wanted to be closer to home = half the league gets taken off the board

Johnny would prefer to play in America = a bunch of teams taken off the board

Johnny will be expensive = another chunk of the league gets taken off the board (flat cap + just no money available)

Johnny wants to be in Philly = no money. Taken off the board.

That left NJ, CBJ, and NYI? I think.

It’s still unclear to me who reached out to who first. CBJ or JG’s camp. I’ve seen mixed reports. Johnny’s agent was drawing up the papers with NJ when someone - either on CBJ or his camp - started talking about going to Columbus? Did they just leverage NJ the entire time to get Jarmo to make a certain number? I honestly don’t know. We probably never will.
I think this is largely accurate.

Honestly, I think it is as simple as he wanted the most money possible at a new city/situation and he liked playing away games in Columbus, liked the city, and had a few friends recommend it... Lastly, it is closer to home, didn't absolutely have to be home. He has secured his and his family's future.
Partly true. According to his teammates he never left the hotel room in Columbus. He just played video games with Monahan in their room. So I don't think it's that he liked the city.

• Haha
Reactions: murrough

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
That podcast just proved everything I said the past week. Dude wanted to be a Flyer and that he overplayed his hand in strong arming Chuck Fletcher, proceeded to get backed into a corner with two teams which his agent couldn't create a bidding war for. Then he signed with the most random team at the 11th hour because NJ was his last resort of the whole thing.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I think this is largely accurate.

Partly true. According to his teammates he never left the hotel room in Columbus. He just played video games with Monahan in their room. So I don't think it's that he liked the city.
Yeah, but now we are getting into his psyche. Who cares about analyzing the kids brain. I like staying at home and playing video games too, doesnt mean he won't enjoy Columbus because he didn't go out partying with the boys for a night. At the end of the day, we have to take his word for it and clearly signing 7 years in Columbus wasn't the end of the world for the kid. He is earning more money than he would in Calgary and beyond clearly he wanted out... That's all we know and likely all we need to know.

Columbus may or may not have been his first choice. I didn't end up with my first choice of employment. Doesn't mean it doesn't work for me :P

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Yeah, but now we are getting into his psyche. Who cares about analyzing the kids brain. I like staying at home and playing video games too, doesnt mean he won't enjoy Columbus because he didn't go out partying with the boys for a night. At the end of the day, we have to take his word for it and clearly signing 7 years in Columbus wasn't the end of the world for the kid. He is earning more money than he would in Calgary and beyond clearly he wanted out... That's all we know and likely all we need to know.

Columbus may or may not have been his first choice. I didn't end up with my first choice of employment. Doesn't mean it doesn't work for me :P
Sure, I agree with this. I'm just saying he didn't like or dislike the city. He never saw it. He even said as much in his interview,

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
That podcast just proved everything I said the past week. Dude wanted to be a Flyer and that he overplayed his hand in strong arming Chuck Fletcher, proceeded to get backed into a corner with two teams which his agent couldn't create a bidding war for. Then he signed with the most random team at the 11th hour because NJ was his last resort of the whole thing.
You're the genius in all of this, and it doesn't get talked about enough

Paradise Circus

May 27, 2010
YVR
Takeaways from Podcast:

He is excited to get to bed at midnight instead of 4am after road games.
He called media in Canada "Next Level" compared to most markets in the USA
He was getting a good overview of the surrounding Columbus area from a few players, really liked some of the smaller towns in the area - mentioned GOLF a few times.
Said he loved playing in Calgary, loved the fans but never mentioned anything about liking the actual city itself
Sounds like he was about to go to NJ when Columbus called late in the day and Johnny wanted to go there
The guy likes jet-skiing and golfing

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Don't think he was strong arming Fletcher. He probably would have taken $9m flat to play in Philly, but our dumbass GM blew it on Risto and TD.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Don't think he was strong arming Fletcher. He probably would have taken $9m flat to play in Philly, but our dumbass GM blew it on Risto and TD.

Strong arming in the sense that he wanted the Flyers to do something so he would sign there, Fletcher probably should've done it anyway but still can't deny that Gaudreau and his agent overplayed their hand thinking it was a given that JVR's contract would be moved.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Strong arming in the sense that he wanted the Flyers to do something so he would sign there, Fletcher probably should've done it anyway but still can't deny that Gaudreau and his agent overplayed their hand thinking it was a given that JVR's contract would be moved.
Strong-arming in the sense that he secretly hoped Philly would make several moves before UFA day, and when the day arrived, he knew, like he knew in the weeks leading up, that the Flyers were out?

Reactions: Monk

The Andrew Peeke Fan

Feb 26, 2020
My all-time least favorite modern player. The Bruins are in absolute dire need of skill, especially up front, and I would genuinely prefer the festering husk of Nick Foligno to this guy. His personality, style of play, manner of speaking, sensibilities with regard to absolutely everything: 0/10. Embarrassing player.

• Haha
Reactions: murrough and hirawl

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Takeaways from Podcast:

He is excited to get to bed at midnight instead of 4am after road games.
He called media in Canada "Next Level" compared to most markets in the USA
He was getting a good overview of the surrounding Columbus area from a few players, really liked some of the smaller towns in the area - mentioned GOLF a few times.
Said he loved playing in Calgary, loved the fans but never mentioned anything about liking the actual city itself
Sounds like he was about to go to NJ when Columbus called late in the day and Johnny wanted to go there
The guy likes jet-skiing and golfing
In before the "he'll get lots of opportunities to golf in Columbus" comments.

My all-time least favorite modern player. The Bruins are in absolute dire need of skill, especially up front, and I would genuinely prefer the festering husk of Nick Foligno to this guy. His personality, style of play, manner of speaking, sensibilities with regard to absolutely everything: 0/10. Embarrassing player.
He's a good player. I think this is just a shy guy who doesn't like pressure and was afraid of disappointing Flames brass and teammates. Like a lot of people he was scared to say what he actually wanted.

I don't think Johnny is a blood and guts player, but he is a good player. I just wish he had the balls to be more direct.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Real estate alot cheaper than NJ or Philly. 2 hour flight home vs 9 hour. No pressure. Space. Land. Time.
Yeah I get it
I don't think real estate prices really effect 10M nhl players the same way they do your typical everyman. I think the time from home, lack of pressure and anonymity were big factors.

Reactions: Bmessy and Blinny

The Andrew Peeke Fan

Feb 26, 2020
In before the "he'll get lots of opportunities to golf in Columbus" comments.

He's a good player. I think this is just a shy guy who doesn't like pressure and was afraid of disappointing Flames brass and teammates. Like a lot of people he was scared to say what he actually wanted.

I don't think Johnny is a blood and guts player, but he is a good player. I just wish he had the balls to be more direct.
He's good.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I don't think real estate prices really effect 10M nhl players the same way they do your typical everyman. I think the time from home, lack of pressure and anonymity were big factors.
They do in the case of property taxes. Property taxes matter to someone that makes 5 digits a year and to someone who makes 8 digits. The more you make the less you wanna pay. I don’t have numbers in front of me but I’d imagine there is a significant difference in property taxes living in or around Columbus than in or around Philly or Jersey. After that start looking into income taxes between Ohio, Pennsylvania, or Jersey. I’d be willing to wager the dollar just flat out goes further in Ohio full circle compared to the others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad