GDT: CBJ at NJ Devils: AI Generated GDT - Wed Dec 27 7pm

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
I think Werenski would actually bring a haul of a return, he’s widely regarded as a top 20 d man in the league
The contract might not be so easy to move, depends on what's coming back of course. Whether they move him or not, they need to throw serious cash at Hanifin come off season. If you could somehow pull that off you could then move Werenski for a haul.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
I'd like to see Jarmo gone but it strikes me as odd that folks are using this as an occasion to call for clearing out half the roster and the whole operation. Hardly our worst showing! They were (what looked like) a late deflection away from picking up the 2 points against a difficult opponent.

There are many things about our roster construction that I don't like but one of our biggest problems is turnover. It's guys who can't read each other and haven't learned to trust each other. It looks like it's getting a lot better over the last month. I'd rather not have too much more turnover.
It would be great if they could add a vet or two who knows how to win

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I'd like to see Jarmo gone but it strikes me as odd that folks are using this as an occasion to call for clearing out half the roster and the whole operation. Hardly our worst showing! They were (what looked like) a late deflection away from picking up the 2 points against a difficult opponent.

There are many things about our roster construction that I don't like but one of our biggest problems is turnover. It's guys who can't read each other and haven't learned to trust each other. It looks like it's getting a lot better over the last month. I'd rather not have too much more turnover.
I havent liked many of Vincents uncreative moves or lack of trust in young players for most of the season. Its all compounding issues at this point. How do you lose a defenseman and then follow that up by playing Jiricek less?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The contract might not be so easy to move, depends on what's coming back of course. Whether they move him or not, they need to throw serious cash at Hanifin come off season. If you could somehow pull that off you could then move Werenski for a haul.

No thanks to Hanifin.

My impression at least is that he's more of the middling type that we have.

Reactions: squashmaple

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I havent liked many of Vincents uncreative moves or lack of trust in young players for most of the season. Its all compounding issues at this point. How do you lose a defenseman and then follow that up by playing Jiricek less?

I've seen that many times, the coach switches from 3 pairs to 2 after a top guy gets injured.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I've seen that many times, the coach switches from 3 pairs to 2 after a top guy gets injured.
Eh he does it even with a healthy 6. Takes Jiricek out of the rotation and plays around with the other 5 so we know hes plenty comfortable rotating 5 D. He just has no trust in Jiricek regardless of how he plays once it gets to the 3rd.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I wonder how many Blue Jacket players are wanting to be traded? The player interviews tonight were more depressing than the game.

I wonder what some of the fans here would say about them if they didn't look emotionally distressed after a loss.

Eh he does it even with a healthy 6. Takes Jiricek out of the rotation and plays around with the other 5 so we know hes plenty comfortable rotating 5 D. He just has no trust in Jiricek regardless of how he plays once it gets to the 3rd.

I don't trust Jiricek and want him in the AHL so it's not difficult for me to understand, though I'd like him around 15 minutes, 13 is a little low.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Hey AI, give me a hot take.

Here's a hot take: The Columbus Blue Jackets' loss against the New Jersey Devils wasn't just a fluke, it's a crystal-clear sign that the team is in dire need of a defensive overhaul. Sure, they can score, but what's the use if their defense is about as effective as a sieve? It's high time the front office stops relying on their offense to bail them out and starts investing in some solid defense. Otherwise, they might as well start planning their next season's draft strategy right now, because with defense like this, playoff dreams are just that—dreams.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I wonder what some of the fans here would say about them if they didn't look emotionally distressed after a loss.

I don't trust Jiricek and want him in the AHL so it's not difficult for me to understand, though I'd like him around 15 minutes, 13 is a little low.
I would too but if hes up why not let him play those minutes? I hate the fact they are protecting him from nothing, he hasnt shown he'll crumble under pressure. No worse than the rest of the team, give the kid a chance if hes gonna be up, he may just show them something.

Is there a site that easily shows icetime by period? Id like to know what Provorov played, those kind of minutes just leads to mental mistakes through fatique like the lack of pressure on the Hughes rush

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I think that’s kind of the point, though. A game where we cough up TWO third-period leads and lose in OT is considered a good effort for this team. I can’t imagine why the frustration is so prevalent.

Reactions: MAHJ71 and koteka

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Werenski has NMC, a strong position in the team, so we can forget about trading him. I'd rather focus on Roslovic, Bemstrom and Peeke's trades for draft picks. I would like the lines (not in order):

Chinakhov - Voronkov - Marchenko
Johnson - Sillinger - Laine
Gaudreau - Fantilli - Danforth
Texier - Jenner - Olivier

PP1A
Voronkov
Gaudreau Marchenko Chinakhov
Werenski (be realists, Zach will play PP so let play with LH Chinakhov on the right side)

PP1B
Jenner
Laine Fantilli Johnson
Boqvist

On the exploitation of the young, it's not quite like that. If they deserve a spot, they play. Note the Russian line and especially Chinakhov and Marchenko who also play PK. Similar to Sillinger, he is an important part of PK. Boqvist has improved his game, gotten big minutes, include play at the end of the game, etc. But young guys can't get spot only for his age.

Today's loss is the result of stupid mistakes. Play wasn't bad, but PP is tragedy.

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
So either Vincent can't coach or he doesn't have the players to win. Either way that's on the guy that hired him or the guy who assembled this roster. It's the same guy.
We look better doing it but the reults are the same on what should be a significantly better team on paper. Its been better offensively since they allowed a little more offensive thinking and not sitting back so deep in that stupid box defense but the constant fading late is very worrisome. Its on both of them to some degree.

Werenski has NMC, a strong position in the team, so we can forget about trading him. I'd rather focus on Roslovic, Bemstrom and Peeke's trades for draft picks. I would like the lines (not in order):

Chinakhov - Voronkov - Marchenko
Johnson - Sillinger - Laine
Gaudreau - Fantilli - Danforth
Texier - Jenner - Olivier

PP1A
Voronkov
Gaudreau Marchenko Chinakhov
Werenski (be realists, Zach will play PP so let play with LH Chinakhov on the right side)

PP1B
Jenner
Laine Fantilli Johnson
Boqvist

On the exploitation of the young, it's not quite like that. If they deserve a spot, they play. Note the Russian line and especially Chinakhov and Marchenko who also play PK. Similar to Sillinger, he is an important part of the PK. Boqvist has improved his game, gotten big minutes, include play at the end of the game, etc.

Today's loss is the result of stupid mistakes. Play wasn't bad, but PP is tragedy.
Did Jiricek do anything to barely see the ice in the 3rd today? I dont recall any glaring issues causing him to be benched. Chinakhov went through the exact same thing and took his agent coming out publicly for it to change. Since then hes gotten more responsibility and his play has taken off in every imaginable way, hes been a offensive force while being responsible

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Did Jiricek do anything to barely see the ice in the 3rd today? I dont recall any glaring issues causing him to be benched. Chinakhov went through the exact same thing and took his agent coming out publicly for it to change. Since then hes gotten more responsibility and his play has taken off in every imaginable way, hes been a offensive force while being responsible
It has nothing to do with the agent, Shumi Babayev is a rookie among NHL agents, his position is zero. The most he can do is shuffle his feet. Yegor just played well. It's similar to Kirill and Dmitri. And I can't remember their agents threatening a trade request.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

I beg to differ on perfect when Luke Hughes treats your team as a stack of pylons in a skating drill.

As a fan of the Devils, it was exciting to watch. As a fan of the CBJ a bit more of me died inside because I knew they’d find a way to blow it.

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
It has nothing to do with the agent, Shumi Babayev is a rookie among NHL agents, his position is zero. The most he can do is shuffle his feet. Yegor just played well. It's similar to Kirill and Dmitri. And I can't remember their agents threatening a trade request.
Any agent saying those things publicly has to be taken serious to some degree, its up to the team how they respond to it. Maybe my timeline is mixed up but I believe the Russian line was formed shortly after and their minutes increased, we've all benefitted from it. It would have been real sad to watch some of these games without that line doing what its done.

Really helps the future outlook knowing we have a line of skilled responsible guys that play well together along with some combo of Gaudreau-Fantilli-Johnson-Laine-Jenner to form 2 other good lines on paper

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Chinakov’s agent should be taken with a grain of salt. You can’t really complain about ice time when you just came off of IR after missing camp and the start of the season.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
I'm getting REALLY f***ing tired of this season's theme of constantly blowing leads - especially late in the game.

I don't blame the players for being depressed. After solid efforts during the game, to continually lose is heartbreaking.

And again I ask; are they ever going to have a game where they don't let in at least 3 goals????

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I'm getting REALLY f***ing tired of this season's theme of constantly blowing leads - especially late in the game.

I don't blame the players for being depressed. After solid efforts during the game, to continually lose is heartbreaking.

And again I ask; are they ever going to have a game where they don't let in at least 3 goals????
They atleast pushed forward for much of the 3rd. I just hate seeing players benched simply because of their age

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I didn't watch the game and am of the opinion Vincent has a lot to take blame for the 3rd period collapses, but at least according to the fancy stats it seems like the 3rd period was their best period of the game and for once the loss had basically nothing to do with either Vincent or the roster, unless you think KJ was a horrible pick and the Russian line sucks.

With KJ that was a major "shit happens" moment, a horrible mistake and unlucky fumble by him on a puck that was on edge. The winner was a great effort by Hughes and HORRIBLE defense of the whole Jackets squad on standing feet. IMO that starts with Marchenko not being ready at all, just spinning aimlessly asleep on the wheel. If he was up to his job, he could've at least put some pressure on Hughes and limit his lanes and force him towards the boards and Voronkov. Instead he does nothing and that theme continues until the puck is in the net. Looks to me like that's on the players on ice, they should've seen it coming but somehow it looks like everyone expects some kind of slow play completely oblivious to what's happening on ice - which is Hughes building up speed before he gets the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00