Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/ARI] Jon Gillies for 2023 6th round pick and Jakub Voracek

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
AZ now has 22 picks in the first 3 rounds over the next 3 years.
And yet we already know that they will keep these players until they dont have team control then move them on. Its a flipping joke.
Someone mentioned that in the past 10 years, players representing over 150 million in cap hit, never played a single game for AZ.

• Wow
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Because I can. Also, because I choose to.

I think the reason I post here is none of your concern. That said, I post in the reality that exists, not the reality I imagine exists or that I think should exist. That's why I think it's amusing that with all the outrage expressed about Arizona's various moves, I know that not one NHL GM and/or executive will read it and be influenced.

Yet again: if the owners decide they don't like what's going on in Arizona, they'll decide to do something about it (probably something stupid that solves a non-problem and creates a new, actual problem - but that's a different story). It definitely won't be because RealHockeyFan9966979420 is pissed off about it. And I'm 99.999% certain the owners aren't bothered enough by what's going on to do anything about it.

As Ric Flair would say: if you don't like it, learn to love it.
I know you think you sound smart but nothing you’re saying makes any sense lmfao

Everyone here posts because they can, not because they think they can influence nhl executives

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
They do, just not in the ways some fans want.
The market they play in has value, the team is an absolute drain on league finances and has been forever. This experiment has failed, if they were to leave to say Houston or Atlanta net effect would be positive. I don't cheer for them to move and think a healthy team is AZ would be cool, but they are 7-10 years away from MAYBE being relevant.

AZ now has 22 picks in the first 3 rounds over the next 3 years.
And yet we already know that they will keep these players until they dont have team control then move them on. Its a flipping joke.
Someone mentioned that in the past 10 years, players representing over 150 million in cap hit, never played a single game for AZ.
Exactly, these last and next few draft classes will just get blown out in 3-6 years.

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Enough already!

The NHL needs to get involved, force the selling of this team and relocate it from that cesspool as soon as possible..

Seriously, there are markets that, without much preparation, would do better as early as the 23-24 season.

This hurts the credibility of the entire league.
Will never forget when I heard about, a member of the AZ front office came out and said he witnessed a sizeable monetary offer before the 2015 draft contingent on AZ drafting Strome. There was something to do with delinquent payments to the city of Glendale and AZ was going to be kicked out of the arena.
The guy basically stated that the Toronto ownership group paid off the delinquent arena payments in return for AZ drafting Strome, one spot in front of Mitch Marner, who Maloney and Tippet wanted.

AZ of course drafted Strome, the delinquent payments where made a week later to Glendale and Maloney was fired 9 months later.

Again who knows if this actually happened but I wouldnt put it past AZ or the League office.

• Wow
Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Does anyone who pays more attention to CBJ than I do think there is potential that Voracek will one day resume playing, or is it a foregone conclusion that he's just done?

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Does anyone who pays more attention to CBJ than I do think there is potential that Voracek will one day resume playing, or is it a foregone conclusion that he's just done?
In interviews that I have seen he gives the standard he still wants to play but he has to think about his long term health.

I think he's done but I'm not him or a doctor.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Honestly I’ve defended Arizona being a team, but it’s getting tough. This is f***ing embarassing. Sorry Yotes fans. You deserve better than a place where bad contracts get sent for late picks. The Yotes are the entire league’s mulligan, and nothing more.

This makes the league look like a joke league.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
The market they play in has value, the team is an absolute drain on league finances and has been forever. This experiment has failed, if they were to leave to say Houston or Atlanta net effect would be positive. I don't cheer for them to move and think a healthy team is AZ would be cool, but they are 7-10 years away from MAYBE being relevant.
The average fan's concern for a small group of people worth billions of dollars, whose franchises are worth hundreds of millions of dollars if not a few billion dollars, who have little to no concern about sending several million dollars to prop up another team for whatever reason, has always and will always be fascinating to me.

It's incredibly fascinating knowing that even if [insert franchise] wasn't being "propped up" via whatever egregious manners alleged, it wouldn't drop prices on tickets, concessions, merchandise, parking or anything else that fans spend money on by one penny. All that money would flow straight to the bank accounts of the owners, who'd probably then raise prices on everything a little more.
Is Voracek's contract insured?
No one knows. It might have been in part or in full, but it also depends on whether concussions were excluded from coverage.

He was only getting $1.25 million in salary this season. [He had a $5 million signing bonus, which isn't subject to insurance in any scenario.] Maybe this season's salary was fully insured and concussions weren't excluded; next season he's due $7.5 million and I'll guarantee it won't be fully insured - it will only be covered up to whatever amount was covered this season.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I know you think you sound smart but nothing you’re saying makes any sense lmfao

Everyone here posts because they can, not because they think they can influence nhl executives
Not sure which is funnier: you thinking I'm writing to influence NHL executives when you're the one whining about what the league should be doing as if someone else is going to read it and act on it, or you talking about why people post here after asking me why I'm posting here as if you have a say in whether I get to or not.

Either way, I'm pretty sure we're done and this is where you get the last word and proclaim victory, or something like that ... so, have at it.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I think it's legit to complain about Arizona. It's gone pretty far if we consider everything that's transpired in the last 10 years. Phoenix is an interesting market, though like most transplant-heavy markets, it suffers from sports team 'lack of care'-itis unless a team wins big and makes for a great bandwagon for newcomers to jump onto.

I think it has other problems though..it's a retirement haven and retired people typically don't switch their beer brands never mind their sports team allegiance. Young people are more likely to be part of demographics the NHL has *ahem* some challenges in reaching.

I don't think having Phoenix is a must for the NHL, and I think people in the league know this, so I suspect there are some ulterior motives involved here.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
What a black mark on the NHL this is. They really need to stop what Arizona is doing. This is just an embarrassment for the league at this point all for a team that can't support itself and has never been able to. Just move the team somewhere fans care about hockey.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Arizona is a scam 100 years of no playoffs and no desire to improve. Just keep picking up LTIR contracts and pretend to tank as an excuse to exist
I feel bad for those supporters who buy seasontickets. They sell themself to easy. Picking up a HUGE contract forbjust a 6th rounder is uneccessary. .should been a 2nd.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I feel bad for those supporters who buy seasontickets. They sell themself to easy. Picking up a HUGE contract forbjust a 6th rounder is uneccessary. .should been a 2nd.

It's funny, someone else was saying that the Jackets didn't get enough from the Coyotes, that the Jackets should have gotten a higher pick because they're allowing the Coyotes to spend many millions below the cap. He's on LTIR so keeping the contract doesn't impede the Jackets, while the Coyotes ownership needs the contract or they're going to be in violation of the league minimum cap hit rule - they can't make payroll if they're paying real salaries.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Is Voracek's contract insured?
No one knows. It might have been in part or in full, but it also depends on whether concussions were excluded from coverage.

He was only getting $1.25 million in salary this season. [He had a $5 million signing bonus, which isn't subject to insurance in any scenario.] Maybe this season's salary was fully insured and concussions weren't excluded; next season he's due $7.5 million and I'll guarantee it won't be fully insured - it will only be covered up to whatever amount was covered this season.

Yes it is.
Elliotte Friedman is reporting on Spotsnet that Voracek's contract is insured.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Not sure which is funnier: you thinking I'm writing to influence NHL executives when you're the one whining about what the league should be doing as if someone else is going to read it and act on it, or you talking about why people post here after asking me why I'm posting here as if you have a say in whether I get to or not.

Either way, I'm pretty sure we're done and this is where you get the last word and proclaim victory, or something like that ... so, have at it.
holy f*** lmfao

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Why does this have so many posts..... It's Gillies...... Look I know he sucks and the 6th is prob better right?
when Hutchinson is your backup, a 6th for backup even if its garbage is better than calling up someone not ready

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Everyone crapping on Arizona, but at the same time they are fans of teams who dump their unwanted contracts to them. This is the sole purpose of the team. The owners love it.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
I think it's legit to complain about Arizona. It's gone pretty far if we consider everything that's transpired in the last 10 years. Phoenix is an interesting market, though like most transplant-heavy markets, it suffers from sports team 'lack of care'-itis unless a team wins big and makes for a great bandwagon for newcomers to jump onto.

I think it has other problems though..it's a retirement haven and retired people typically don't switch their beer brands never mind their sports team allegiance. Young people are more likely to be part of demographics the NHL has *ahem* some challenges in reaching.

I don't think having Phoenix is a must for the NHL, and I think people in the league know this, so I suspect there are some ulterior motives involved here.
The owner has also been a major part of the problem

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Why does this have so many posts..... It's Gillies...... Look I know he sucks and the 6th is prob better right?
when Hutchinson is your backup, a 6th for backup even if its garbage is better than calling up someone not ready
It's not about the 6th or gillies, it's about taking voracheks contract, a player who will never play again and contract will be paid by insurance, and him being traded to Arizona, where insurance will pay the contract but his cap hit still counts towards Arizona meeting the cap floor. Arizona has now stockpiled enough long term injured players thatthey will only have to spend 50%of the cap floor of money because 50% of the cap floor will be met by these injured players whose contracts they don't even have to pay because of insurance.

Why have a cap floor when we let Arizona circumvent it by trading for injured players so they can be cheap as possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad