Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/ARI] Jon Gillies for 2023 6th round pick and Jakub Voracek

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
this needs to stop

you can't have a 5000 seat NHL team that only takes bad contract/money to hit the floor as a legit NHL franchise

how in the hell are defenders thinking this is totally acceptable?

The NHL has 31 teams and a mini-Ukraine-like Coyotes, where money goes to die
I think it's acceptable because the other 31 owners think it's acceptable, and they have a greater say in how and where the league operates than I do.

I also think it's acceptable because if Arizona was moved to [any other "more desirable, more deserving" location] nothing would change in the aggregate. The cap would move up, everyone would have to spend more money on player salaries, fans would cheer about it (and then bitch and moan about all the money being spent on player salaries) and all the low-revenue franchises - the ones who would generate less revenue than [any other "more desirable, more deserving" location] - would be under more financial pressure than they currently are, and at least one of them might have to engage in similar, "scrape to get to the cap floor" moves to survive, which would generate more fan outrage and the cycle would repeat again.

YMMV.

Reactions: Price is Wright

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

I've figured out what the Coyotes are! They are the A1A Car Wash!

1677786965867.png

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
I think it's acceptable because the other 31 owners think it's acceptable, and they have a greater say in how and where the league operates than I do.

I also think it's acceptable because if Arizona was moved to [any other "more desirable, more deserving" location] nothing would change in the aggregate. The cap would move up, everyone would have to spend more money on player salaries, fans would cheer about it (and then bitch and moan about all the money being spent on player salaries) and all the low-revenue franchises - the ones who would generate less revenue than [any other "more desirable, more deserving" location] - would be under more financial pressure than they currently are, and at least one of them might have to engage in similar, "scrape to get to the cap floor" moves to survive, which would generate more fan outrage and the cycle would repeat again.

YMMV.

so if corruptors agree that corruption is fine as it serves their corruption then it's acceptable

question, have you ever taken an unpopular position in your life or you always go with the majority?

Reactions: Kennedys

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
The picks that AZ is stockpiling should provide the perfect young players to trade for more picks and bad contracts in 5 years. I like the vision.

Reactions: Oyletime and Pi

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
You aren't saying anything different. Everyone is annoyed that a sham team exists just to benefit the other 31 teams.
In their current form - a welfare franchise team generates very little revenue - they don't benefit the teams or the league. They don't sell merch, they don't put butts in seats in their own barn or other, etc. Long term they may do that, and I get Bettmans version of a team in all major markets. But today, they are a drain on league revenues.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
If they’re saving space, and they offer Matthews 7 years max money, does he take it?

You can probably offer him max and he still wouldn't take it. If Matthews leaves Toronto, California teams are the only realistic threat IMO.

Who is he going to play with? A paper cut out of Datsyuk, Pronger and the rest of the LTIR hall of famers acquired by Arizona?

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
so if corruptors agree that corruption is fine as it serves their corruption then it's acceptable
Pretending the other 31 owners are engaged in corruption: if you're posting on a hockey-oriented forum which by extension gives their sport attention, then aren't you supporting their corruption? Or is it different because ... it's just different, and no one should question it?

Beyond that: the quoted statement is such a bizarre reach off my comment, it defies all logic.

Still doesn't change what everyone is saying.

Think on that.
I have. Let me say it for the 39,007th time: fans don't run teams. Owners do.
It lowers competition and makes GM jobs easier, of course they love having Arizona in the league. That doesn't make it fair or justifiable.
Life isn't fair.
It is a stain on the league that doesn't exist in any other pro American sport.
[Numerous pro sports teams across the years enter the chat]

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I don’t know, maybe remove the salary floor. This trade helps CBJ out tremendously for only a 6th. And Arizona gets to ice a roster with 8M less in salary with no intent to compete until a bigger arena is finished?

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
What contracts are you referring too? These are ltir contracts Az are using to hit the cap floor. Its pathetic.

Cap Friendly shows columbus is already at $64M next season, with only 16 players rostered. If they had this on their books, they'd be sitting at about $71M. Yes, it's on the teams themselves for signing these guys for really long contracts at such high dollar value. Yes, injuries are going to happen, but they come in and replace them with another high dollar contract. Safe to say they needed to move this contract so they could afford some other players next year. It's not just because the Coyotes don't want to pay players or whatever, look at the big picture as well.

I'm all for the NHL not allowing this type of trade, but then it would cause GMs to be even worse at their job than they already are.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
@Legend123
Glad we settled that.

Back to buisness.
I think this is a bad deal. The jackets might have gillies play all remaining games this season and pull a 1983/84 Penguins.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Apparently not, judging by the amount of whining being done by posters about moves that Arizona has made.
Please tell my why you post on here? Surely you don’t think the only reason to post is an imaginary belief that NHL GMs and executives will see the posts and be influenced?

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Please tell my why you post on here?
Because I can. Also, because I choose to.
Surely you don’t think the only reason to post is an imaginary belief that NHL GMs and executives will see the posts and be influenced?
I think the reason I post here is none of your concern. That said, I post in the reality that exists, not the reality I imagine exists or that I think should exist. That's why I think it's amusing that with all the outrage expressed about Arizona's various moves, I know that not one NHL GM and/or executive will read it and be influenced.

Yet again: if the owners decide they don't like what's going on in Arizona, they'll decide to do something about it (probably something stupid that solves a non-problem and creates a new, actual problem - but that's a different story). It definitely won't be because RealHockeyFan9966979420 is pissed off about it. And I'm 99.999% certain the owners aren't bothered enough by what's going on to do anything about it.

As Ric Flair would say: if you don't like it, learn to love it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad