Post-Game Talk: CBJ 3 - Jets 1

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
You guys are gonna call me dumb but I wonder if there isn’t any appetite to have Scott Arniel come out of retirement for the remainder of the season to help out the bottom six?

I feel if you keep his minutes in check that he could be the ideal deadline pickup and not cost us anything.
If we are going to get someone to come out of retirement i would go get Buff .:nod:

Reactions: Jet and Highway1

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Oh come on... you can't blame those penalties for ruining the flow when we had 3 five on threes... if the team is that fragile then we actually are in trouble.
I agree that they had to score on one of the 5 on 3's, that's why i said that too.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So we went from Lowrys Dad on the bench to Dubois Dad? Is Ehlers Dad available for power play?
PLD’s dad is a coach with the Moose. He has only been called up to the Jets because our regular assistant is out week to week with an upper body injury.

Reactions: Jets 31

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
Korpisalo was the best player for the Jackets. The Jets played like they deserved to lose. The Jets didn't get goalied because they didn't generate enough good chances to warrant the consternation. Perimeter team? Yes. Most of their chances were from the outside, and very few came from between the hashmarks. That was a frustrating game to watch, and I'm pissed that they wasted almost 3 hours of my time at it. How do you get 3 5 on 3 PPs in one game and fail to convert on any of them? Columbus' PK isn't a world beater. Come on, guys.

Pride. f*** off.
That’s not accurate, they converted on the first 5 on 3.

Reactions: Jets 31
Nov 24, 2006
Need a trade. THIS squad is not good enough.

Offense 16th OA.
PP 16th OA.
Shots taken 22nd
FO win% 24th.
Not a good game and we’ve got some warts, but…

We’re on pace for best season ever for points
Were 3rd in the western conference
Scheifele will have career number of goals
PLD and Morrissey with career years
Top 5 in goals against
Were 3-1 in our last 4

All depends on how you want to look at it I guess.

Last edited:

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Look at those corsi numbers, how did we remotely lose? We are having some scoring problems right now but it will come.
Korpisalo and lack of discipline.

PP needs to figure it out but when you have Stenny on a PP unit, you know that you’re lacking quality offensive depth.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
One thing I won't miss about Dubois if we trade him is his brain dead penalties. Almost cost us against Seattle and ultimately contributed to the loss tonight.
Neither of them were actually penalties. Dubois is also far far into the positive with regards to penalties taken vs. Penalties drawn.

Why are we inventing shit now?

PS the penalty against Connor was absolute horseshit.

Korpisalo was excellent, and we can't even be mad at the refs because they gave us 3 5v3s and we didn't score.

That was the game.

Ehlers needs to be much better. He's still killing it with zone entries but other than that he's not nearly as good a he needs to be.

He's making poor passes and his shot is way off. He has to get back to shooting more and driving the puck to the net. Skating around the perimeter is pretty but if it just ends up in lost possession without a chance it's not useful.

People were pissed at Pionk on the second goal but the amount of separation between F and D with our top 6 was causing our problems. Looks like our forwards are looking for easy offense instead of attacking as a team, and that starts with a unified group in our zone.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Ouch ... Ehlers said in the post game interview he is 100% healthy when asked about his ice time being down and he does what the coaches tell him to do.
Do the coaches ask him to skate around until he loses possession or misses the net?

I think not.

I love Ehlers, he's an exciting player to watch and has a fiery spirit. Right now he is not helping the team win.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Korpisalo and lack of discipline.

PP needs to figure it out but when you have Stenny on a PP unit, you know that you’re lacking quality offensive depth.
I think he's out there purely because he's decent at faceoffs, that's why picking up a Toews would probably help our PP .

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Yup. Nowhere in the bottom 6 do we have someone capable of that 20 goal range. Just ZERO secondary scoring. We have essentially two 4th lines.

I've been crying since the pre-season to get some scoring depth. They've had 2 4th lines all season. It's pathetic.

That’s not accurate, they converted on the first 5 on 3.

I thought that penalty expired. My apologies. They still only scored one goal against the worst team in the league. Just straight garbage.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Not a good game and we’ve got some warts, but…

We’re on pace for best season ever for points
Were 3rd in the western conference
Scheifele will have career number of goals
PLD and Morrissey with career years
Top 5 in goals against
Were 3-1 in our last 4

All depends on how you want to look at it I guess.
We are very likely playing the Avalanche in the 1st round. How do you feel our chances are?

Reactions: jokesondee

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Neither of them were actually penalties. Dubois is also far far into the positive with regards to penalties taken vs. Penalties drawn.

PS the penalty against Connor was absolute horseshit.

Korpisalo was excellent, and we can't even be mad at the refs because they gave us 3 5v3s and we didn't score.

That was the game.

Ehlers needs to be much better. He's still killing it with zone entries but other than that he's not nearly as good a he needs to be.

He's making poor passes and his shot is way off. He has to get back to shooting more and driving the puck to the net. Skating around the perimeter is pretty but if it just ends up in lost possession without a chance it's not useful.

People were pissed at Pionk on the second goal but the amount of separation between F and D with our top 6 was causing our problems. Looks like our forwards are looking for easy offense instead of attacking as a team, and that starts with a unified group in our zone.
Dubois takes bad penalties all the time, it wasn’t just last night. I think he’s been better this season than last season though. It’s not “making shit up,” he takes horrible penalties and sometimes lacks discipline. That could be a side effect of the passion that he plays the game with, and we need more players to play the game with intensity, so I’m mostly fine with it, but it’s frustrating when he takes undisciplined penalties.

Of course he draws a lot of penalties too and that’s something we will miss if we lose him, but if we do trade him, I personally won’t miss the lack of discipline that pops into his game every so often.

Reactions: DRW204

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
so much focus on ehlers, and maybe rightfully deserves some... but 1/7 on the PP against columbus of all teams, a couple botched 5-on-3s. who were the main pp guys?

odds are we play that again the Jets put up a W. but can't help to raise an eyebrow at the finishing of this team especially against CBJ,

also, we have 3 top-9ers with like 0-2 goals in their past 20-25 gp. appeton has 1 goal in 17 gp. scoring depth is non-existent

Last edited:

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Where have all the tip and greasy goals gone?
Where's the mega blender for the PP lines like we see with 5 on 5 once were down a couple?
It's a good thing that Columbus can't be an opponent for us in the playoffs cause that goalie owns us hard.
Given the kryptonite affect that the Eastern teams have on us we could be fairly far behind Dallas after this trip.
giphy.gif

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

he's +4 in penalties taken vs drawn. so idk how you're quantifying "far far into the positive" but +4 is ranked in the 130s for Forwards

the highest in the league is Jack Hughes at +17, Scheifele is the highest Jet at +15.
the lowest in the league is -18, with the lowest Fwd (including D might be an unfair comparison since inherently Dmen take more minors) is -10.

you're right, why are we inventing shit now

Dubois takes bad penalties all the time, it wasn’t just last night. I think he’s been better this season than last season though. It’s not “making shit up,” he takes horrible penalties and sometimes lacks discipline. That could be a side effect of the passion that he plays the game with, and we need more players to play the game with intensity, so I’m mostly fine with it, but it’s frustrating when he takes undisciplined penalties.

Of course he draws a lot of penalties too and that’s something we will miss if we lose him, but if we do trade him, I personally won’t miss the lack of discipline that pops into his game every so often.

he's tops in the league in both penalties drawn and minors taken. he can certainly still play a hard game with the puck and draw penalties while limiting his own infractions without it. thankfully our PK has been much better this year, and overall as a team we are taking less penalties.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Any big man who imposes his will on others will take penalties.

Again, those penalties on Dubois last night were not penalties.

Guys like these take penalties for being too strong. Lowry used to take a lot more when he was playing physical but that's mostly disappeared from his game. Strangely, his offensive production has also mostly disappeared.

Take the passion out of the bull and your left with a cow.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Not to beat a dead horse here but for me one of the main differentiators between this team and the 17-18 pack of wolves team is physicality. We have a lot of size and I think capability to be more physical, but we're just not doing it.

That's reflected in PIM's per game - the 17-18 Jets were 16th, and this year we are 23rd.

I'm not advocating taking more penalties, but it is a direct correlation. We have the 4th best PK in the league this year which I don't believe is smoke and mirrors, or only goaltender driven. We seem to have really solved our seam issues and do a great job of not only keeping PP's to the perimeter, but limiting the effectiveness of point shots.

I'd love to see us be more forceful physically when it makes sense. I think that would wear teams down and provide more turnover opportunities. We will likely take more penalties as a result but I believe the ROI is there as our PK can mitigate that somewhat.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
not sure if id use PIMs as a criteria point however i overall agree that the physicality, and tenacity on the forecheck is the stark difference for me.

the CLT line was tenacious on the forecheck. as well as Armia being strong down there. and it's not like Copp, Tanev, or Armia were proven players at the time. Perreault as well ofc was a feisty Fwd who wasn't afraid to go into the dirty areas (often to his own detriment lol, but i digress). and Laine for a teenage top-6er wasn't afraid to throw his body around from time to time. i always felt that 17-18 team played a bit faster than the following years Jets teams as well. could be b/c it was younger, something to prove? the difference in skill vs league/opponents at the time? not sure :dunno:.

the back-end is where the physicality and size difference shows though a lot for me. not that our D is overly small now (it's about league average), but id the 17-18 team i think was a great mix of skill, size, good defensive play, physicality etc.

Not to beat a dead horse here but for me one of the main differentiators between this team and the 17-18 pack of wolves team is physicality. We have a lot of size and I think capability to be more physical, but we're just not doing it.

That's reflected in PIM's per game - the 17-18 Jets were 16th, and this year we are 23rd.

I'm not advocating taking more penalties, but it is a direct correlation. We have the 4th best PK in the league this year which I don't believe is smoke and mirrors, or only goaltender driven. We seem to have really solved our seam issues and do a great job of not only keeping PP's to the perimeter, but limiting the effectiveness of point shots.

I'd love to see us be more forceful physically when it makes sense. I think that would wear teams down and provide more turnover opportunities. We will likely take more penalties as a result but I believe the ROI is there as our PK can mitigate that somewhat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad