Post-Game Talk: CBJ 3 - Jets 1

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I don't think they'll like Pionk's positioning on the first Columbus goal. You have to recognize Laine as a shooting threat, and adjust. That was way too easy for a top sniper.

Pionk's play that drew the penalty was a real head scratcher, ok you got pressure, but Josh Morrissey is probably the best outlet you could have instead of trying to skate up the middle of the ice against one of the best skaters in the league. The penalty was the icing on the cake.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets go back to Morrissey and De Melo for the next game, because Josh looked visibly frustrated at times. And he's the wheel that has driven the offense this year.

Where Pionk would land is beyond me, but he's been so lax since coming back, that maybe he needs a message from the coaches...
Pionk was the guy I was yelling at the most and super pissed at.
I wanted him benched.
His turnover that led to his penalty was awful.
He was barely moving, made a lazy beer league move behind the net and skated weakly in front of our net with the puck just begging to be over taken.

When he got out of the box at the end of the penalty he stupidly went straight to the front of the net and stood beside the D-man who was already there. His responsibility is to cover for the forward we are missing. Instead he contributed to screening Dave on what was a bad luck goal. But had he taken the correct position (as a forward) perhaps that shot doesn't happen and we don't end up behind.

Lots to complain about from many of the players but Neal is just spiralling down the drain.
We could play our ELC rookie to make mistakes like that and he costs a lot less and may actually get better by playing. I just lose more and more faith in Pionk with each game. What happened to the guy who drove McDavid nuts?

Reactions: JetsUK and voyageur

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

They need to balance the PP groups...but insanity to demote Connor.

Replace Schmidt or Wheeler with Connor. I'd like it to be Wheeler. The puck stops with him too much. Schmidt is pretty savvy about pinching up the wall and making space for the shooters.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Regardless of all the weird lineup choices, if your main PP unit hasn't done anything all night and your 2nd unit is creating big chances, maybe just give the 2nd unit a run...that last powerplay on the delay of game when they trotted out PP1 for 1:40...what are you doing, Bones? Is this holding guys accountable? What happened to that?

Agree.

This PP1 / PP2 split, with PP1 getting all the choice minutes and doing nothing in particular while PP2 generates chance after chance with scraps is giving me flashbacks to years gone by,

If PP1 isn't working and P2 is -- then PP2 goes out first and gets the chances and hopefully the goals. And that's it.

Especially if PP1's inefficiency has been a season-long issue.

And I'm not sure why Wheeler on PP1 is set in stone. If he isn't setting up a sniper he's standing still.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I could be wrong but judging by the groups it looks as if Bones is going to create some competition and tell both units the one that produces will get the lions share of pp time. Could be a brilliant move.

I do like a more even split of talent as I feel like often assume players get wasted on a loaded pp unit especially considering the system used

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I could be wrong but judging by the groups it looks as if Bones is going to create some competition and tell both units the one that produces will get the lions share of pp time. Could be a brilliant move.

I do like a more even split of talent as I feel like often assume players get wasted on a loaded pp unit especially considering the system used

Sure as long as both groups get even ice time
If we do the regular 1:30 - 0:30 split then it's better to load up the first unit

Reactions: Jets 31 and Jet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad