Catalog of Best Goalie Masks in NHL History

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Beezer (John Vanbiesbrouck) on the Panthers

beezer.JPG

I don't think any goaltender has worked their team logo/branding into their mask quite so seamlessly. Beezer should have passed that helmet down to new Panthers starters after he left...or maybe just fold the franchise. Forget it, it doesn't get better.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Billy Suitcase Smith

smith.jpg

circa 70/71... and checkout his skates. 2 tone. unreal.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I love the two-tone skates, by the way. And people say Charlie Finley added nothing to the sport. :laugh:

Even still Doc, Suitcase there sartorially challenged. Pants too big, sweater too small... and he's looks kinda pissed off about it. :(

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
For a plain white mask, I always loved Mike Liut's long-billed version.

Yeah, way back in the day & even into the 80's some guys wouldnt paint their masks, was in fact circa mid-60's through the 70's considered amongst some schools of thought a total hot-dog move. Was unusual when I played until the early 70's. Only Cheevers with his Stitch Mask & I think it was either Suitcase Smith up there with all yellow or maybe Favell in Philly who's team mates as a lark one year went & painted his mask orange just before Halloween on him. I never had a paint job. Used the Plante model which was white, then a custom Harrison which was like bondo grey... which was kinda Badass.... like the car in some schlocky horror flick... Duel or whatever starring Dennis Weaver... Martin Sheen or what have you.... Tarantino's Deathproof... that was a good one... Kurt Russell as the vehicular killer Stuntman Mike.... far cry from playing the very likeable Cap'n Ron or Herb Brooks huh Doc?... his & Goldie Hawns son is a Goalie I believe.... wonder what kinda paint job he had applied to his mask....

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
These are my retired masks (my current past is not painted yet, although I'm going to do something either Seattle-themed or Colorado mountains-themed).

masks.jpg

Bottom - my first (roller hockey) mask, which I painted to look identical to Kirk McLean's mask at the time (I did my painting in the summer of 1994). The Canucks logo is a stencil that I painstakingly made, and then stuck onto the mask prior to applying the clear coat.

Top right - my first ice hockey mask, which I wore during college as well. The mask is a purple/gold wolf, representing where I grew up, although the design is a copy of Curtis Joseph's Edmonton mask. I paid to have this one done.

Top left - my second ice hockey mask. I wanted to get it painted, but couldn't take enough time off from hockey to get it done by a professional. Then one day, I took a nasty shot right above the temple, and decided to put some stitches on a la Cheevers. I finally retired the mask about a year ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad