Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Although I agree for the most part, I'll offer up:

life_hayward_800.jpg

sj-hrudey3.jpg

Kelly Hrudey San Jose.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ That Bannerman mask an unusual design & paint job for Toronto's Greg Harrison who started making masks in the late 60's early 70's after the style of Ernie Higgins. Harrison was a decent amateur goalie himself and an art student, starting up out of his parents basement, going on to make (including paint jobs) hundreds of masks for amateurs, Juniors, Minor-Pro's & NHL Goalies through the 70's & into 80's. I had one made by him as well that I used for several seasons in the late 60's early 70's but it was before he started going crazy with the airbrush, adding colors, "Wings" & so on to various Goalies masks. Back then he'd give it to you finished in basic bondo grey or painted white....

Interesting procedure as it was totally custom. You'd lie on a table breathing through a straw while Greg applied gauze strips & Plaster of Paris to your face to make the mold. Let it dry enough for handling then let it cure, from there applying fiberglass. Took as I recall about 4-6wks to receive the finished product, cost was about $300 so not cheap for the era. Excellent masks. Great vision with no blind spots. Lightweight but solid with full forehead & crown protection, backplate. Most of Harrisons masks that signature style as used by the likes of Gilles Gilbert, Jimmy Rutherford, Gilles Meloche etc etc etc. Fact is, you just never even had the slightest concern that taking a 100mph shot to the head would be a problem, didnt even think about it really. If you did, you were playing the wrong position, probably the wrong sport altogether.

Reactions: Tarantula

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
Wouldn't extra coats of paint make the mask slightly hotter to wear? I don't think I'd like that, as they were pretty stifling to begin with!

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Top one's a Lefty Wilson mask, Lefty the Trainer/Eqp Mgr & sometimes Practice Goalie (and spare when just one Goalie was on the roster) for the Red Wings for years. Built quite the cottage industry for himself after designing & making a mask for Sawchuk. Orders pouring in. Charged $30 well into the 60's. The one above further modified using a jigsaw & liberal use of a file in making the eyeholes & mouth openings, area around the nose a lot bigger.

Second one, real hard to tell whether its an Ernie Higgins or a Greg Harrison model. Higgins was a plumber based in Massachusetts who made a mask for his son who was playing goal for Boston College back around 62. Demand grew after making masks for Eddie Johnston & Gerry Cheevers, and by 69 Ernie turning in his plumbers wrench & going at it full time. Made other items as well, special "Rib Protector" for Goalies; designed & made a special helmet for Ted Green after he'd suffered serious head trauma in that infamous stick swinging incident with Wayne Maki.... Greg Harrison copied Ernies designs and vice-versa pretty much so its sometimes hard to tell who made them.

That bottom photo is of course of Clint Praying Benny Benedict, arguably the greatest goalie of the early era. He got dinged by a Howie Morenz shot & the story goes he had that mask custom made, and Id assume either by a Cobbler or perhaps sports equipment manufacturer. Indeed, back around 1930 or so, rising pucks, with goalies receiving cuts, lacerations, losing teeth, being knocked out, concussions etc was such a concern that Conn Smythe suggested way back then that masks be mandated goalie equipment. Obviously no majority support amongst the leagues owners. But yes, it was Benedict, not Plante who was the first to wear a mask in the NHL. Benedict in fact so good at his craft (like Plante) that his style widely copied, rules changed as a result. Some suggest that really the Vezina Trophy should be called the Benedict Trophy, that he was not only better than Georges Vezina but so too far more innovative & influential however, Georges died tragically young of Tuberculosis in 1926 after an outstanding career with the Habs, so I think it only fitting he have that trophy & honor named after him.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Wouldn't extra coats of paint make the mask slightly hotter to wear? I don't think I'd like that, as they were pretty stifling to begin with!

Not at all, no. Fiberglass doesnt breathe so it doesnt matter if its got a dozen or more coats on it.

RatKingBolland*

John Vanbiesbrouck.
Florida Panthers.
1993-98.

K.McLean.
Vancouver Canucks.
1993-1994.

E.Belfour.
Chicago Blackhawks/Dallas Stars.
1989-1997.
1997-2002.

Worst: Anything from Daveart.

Last edited by a moderator:

drganon

Jun 24, 2014
That Bannerman mask is beyond cool. Its a shame we don't have masks like that anymore due to safety reasons. They have a lot more personality and look far more evil( in a good way) than today's masks.

Reactions: Tarantula

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I really liked this era for masks because they really looked like masks. Today's look like helmets IMO. I am all for the saftey and vision factor but that earlier era of masks had a lot of flare that can not be duplicated in todays design.

b885_35.JPG

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
I really liked this era for masks because they really looked like masks. Today's look like helmets IMO. I am all for the saftey and vision factor but that earlier era of masks had a lot of flare that can not be duplicated in todays design.

b885_35.JPG

That's a great mask for sure. Has a plague doctor feel to it. Mr. Dion actually might be trying to protect himself from some sort of miasma there as well... those Pittsburgh teams were not exactly great.

This picture from Doctor No's Goalie Archives website has Gilles Meloche wearing a very modern looking mask for the mid-80's. One of just a handfull of guys I can think of who used both the oldschool Dryden style masks and stuck around long enough to get to the more modern "helmet" style cages.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad