Post-Game Talk: Cat in the Hat

Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Meh.

We didn't play our best game. Panarin was off, Tarasenko had some grade A chances he didn't bury, Harpur was a traffic cone on the debbies even strength goal, and Goodrow deflected Meiers shot right into our net on the PP goal. I think we can beat them in a playoff series.

Having to come back from a multiple goal deficit is like having to skate uphill. Tough to be successful against really good teams falling behind early.
I think Panarin was excellent. Very engaged. Very threatening.

Reactions: leetch99

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
For some reason we just don’t get the message against the Isles and the Devils. They just seem to want these games more.

It’s been this way for about five years now, outside of that beautiful mini series during Covid.
It has been this way since the islanders and the Devils were spawned.

Reactions: NCRanger

Wtp99

May 8, 2021
The Devils remind me of last seasons Rangers, played very hard during regular season and tired out in the playoffs. The Devils are a smallish team and can be run down in a physical series. They have lost a few games when the been physically run out of the building. Yes they are a good team but the Rangers have been through a playoff grind and have a couple of guys that have won one or three. Don’t know how the Devils will respond in the playoffs

Teams that have won cups don’t have to finish first or even have home ice in early round, because you have to be in them to win them
the Devils and the bruins (to a lesser extent) have done the same thing. Play their hearts out in the regular season and could be burnt by the end of the season or middle of the round
should be a fun ride. Let’s go Rangers

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
its a separated shoulder, dislocations cause labrum tears and his shoulder went into the boards tucked. labrums get torn when the arm is above the shoulder.
and even though you can play thru a labrum tear (if it is indeed torn) the medical staff and coaches would be idiots to let him play rather than letting him sit until the final game or two of the season.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Nobody has said it would be easy, as a matter of fact it would be difficult, but I don't see any team beating the Rangers in a 7 game series except for Boston. Jersey had 1 really good period. It just happened to be enough and almost wasn't.
I have more faith in this group than I have had in any Rangers team in eons. Devils are good. Isles are maybe better than the Devils, that’s a well-built roster now. Boston is clearly great. Carolina is good too. Tampa is still Tampa. Toronto is due in a big big way.
There are a ton of contenders in the East. Gonna be a great playoff.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
The Devils remind me of last seasons Rangers, played very hard during regular season and tired out in the playoffs. The Devils are a smallish team and can be run down in a physical series. They have lost a few games when the been physically run out of the building. Yes they are a good team but the Rangers have been through a playoff grind and have a couple of guys that have won one or three. Don’t know how the Devils will respond in the playoffs

Teams that have won cups don’t have to finish first or even have home ice in early round, because you have to be in them to win them
the Devils and the bruins (to a lesser extent) have done the same thing. Play their hearts out in the regular season and could be burnt by the end of the season or middle of the round
should be a fun ride. Let’s go Rangers
Yup. Regular season results sometimes don't mean much in the playoffs. The Isles could give the Devils or Carolina fits. Last year everybody was saying we would dominate Pitt and we barely managed to get by them. We lost 3 of 4 to Carolina in regular season and they outplayed us and well we know what happened. It's a bit of a crapshoot.

I have more faith in this group than I have had in any Rangers team in eons. Devils are good. Isles are maybe better than the Devils, that’s a well-built roster now. Boston is clearly great. Carolina is good too. Tampa is still Tampa. Toronto is due in a big big way.
There are a ton of contenders in the East. Gonna be a great playoff.
It's going to be a bloodbath.

Reactions: egelband and Wtp99

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
This shit gets called every time these days.
is it dropping someone when you drill them from behind? came out of this more confident than i went into it. in a playoff series the rangers will beat the piss out of them. team put together how to take close them out quickly in the 2nd and they had to survive from there. up front our guys need to finish but rangers controlled the puck and had a ton of chances in 3rd. this was one reg season game they got the jump on, not sure how they'll handle game after game like this. they also got away with a lot that won't always happen, though our pp was mostly ass.

they took advantage of harpur and schneider, neither of whom will be in the situations that resulted in goals in the playoffs unless something else goes wrong. and in a playoff series i don't think harpur would be the next man up should anyone else go down. in the long run this isn't ideal but could be a net benefit. they think even more of themselves, the rangers take an honest look in the mirror....ultimately better than stealing a win and thinking they deserved it. i'm not worried at all

if you're scared go to church

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Cheap shot and clear penalty that wasn't called. Shocker.
That was pretty much the only quibble I had with the officiating today. They should have called that one. It was a typical scrum and the Devils guy came in all fired up like some kind of amateur. I think Trouba would have broke him in half but assumed that a power play was coming.

Reactions: bl02

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
and even though you can play thru a labrum tear (if it is indeed torn) the medical staff and coaches would be idiots to let him play rather than letting him sit until the final game or two of the season.
labrum is almost certainly not torn, its a separated shoulder. that's just a really painful injury and can take forever to heal...i've dealt with it. if this were playoffs he'd be playing, its one of those things that can be mostly healed but takes a while to not be agonizing when you strain it for a while after that. will be back to where you were after a few mins though - and any doubts i had were confirmed by gallant the one game he played where he basically said lindgren was ok but the trainers had told him he might experience shooting pains at times after taking certain hits for a while. not sure that won't still be the case if he sits til playoffs, so yea minimum would say he needs to play last 2-3 just to try and get close to game speed. practice ain't gonna do it no matter how hard you work

Reactions: egelband

AlaBlueShirt

Mar 14, 2018
What’s up with these 1st periods. Just watched the game and the scheme seems to stay the same every night.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
There is a saying in golf. You can't win a tournament the first day, but you can lose it the first day.

The no show in the 1st lost us this game. Simple as that.

Hopefully the boys realized tonight they gotta come out of the gate better against a team like the Devils

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Not time to hit the panic button just yet. Rangers were the better team after the first and the first Devils goal was the result of a fluke icing call which doesn't get called 70% of the time. Yes the Rangers come out slow far too often but when they are on their game, they are a tough team to beat. It will be a close series. The Chicken Littles running around here saying Devils in 5 will look really foolish and will obviously be nowhere to be found when that result doesn't happen. Home ice would be nice but we are not Carolina - it doesn't make it or break it for us.

Reactions: KevinFinnerty

zukeisgone

Jan 17, 2019
Fast teams need to be slowed down in there own zone….who are our designated thumpers? 20-13-91?-14-21-26?-16…is that enough?

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
If we are going to beat the Devils in the playoffs we will have to do a few things much better:

-Win board battles. Seems like the Devils came away with possession way too often and had two players on the puck very quickly.

-Cut down on easy zone entries. I understand that the Devils are fast, but we need to use the blue line to our advantage. Of course, we need the forwards back checking hard so the D can gap up.

-Transition from the D zone. It seems like Fox, maybe Miller, are the only D who can release some pressure with evasion or the proper pass to make zone exits clean. Otherwise, it looks like a Bantam B team rimming the puck to a winger who is already covered.

-I think the dump and chase is effective against the Devils, but only if we have numbers that can get on the forecheck quickly. Making cute moves at the blue line results in easy transitions for an already fast team.

I still think we beat this team in a seven game series. Let's see if GG can clean it up.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Our defenses unwillingness to pinch offensively when we’re losing because they’re terrified of getting blown by also presents a matchup nightmare for us against this team
With Harpur, Mikkola, and Trouba on this team, they can't pinch. Fox isn't a good skater, either, he's the Derek Stepan of defensemen.

For the most part this whole team can't skate for shit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad