Post-Game Talk: Cat in the Hat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
The Ol' rope a dope. I was actually thinking this last night. They certainly played well enough to win but having an "exhibition" before the playoffs as a way to study your game against a Devils team that was desperate for a win could be helpful. We were a good defensive play by Graves away from tying it anyway.

Hahaha we quite literally did not have to beat them. The crying after this game has been so predictable
There was no point in the game last night where I was like, wow they can't beat this team. They're good but some of these reactions here are off the wall. At the end of the game I was like, the Rangers have at least two other gears, I'm not sure the Devils do.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
We had to win this game. WE HAD TO BEAT THEM. The other games don't f***ing matter. This matters. This is our playoff opponent. You think were suddenly gonna grow a backbone or learn to skate in 2 weeks?

uSSR destroyed USA in exhibition match in 1980 before the real deal. How did that work out for them and the USA team?

Point being this game, just like the one in 1980, means nothing for what happens come the playoffs.

The playoffs are a different animal and it will take a lot more to win than wither teams effort tonight.

Reactions: KevinFinnerty

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
There was no point in the game last night where I was like, wow they can't beat this team. They're good but some of these reactions here are off the wall. At the end of the game I was like, the Rangers have at least two other gears, I'm not sure the Devils do.

Your point about having another gear or 2 is spot on. When the Rangers need the game, you get their A game. There's so much evidence to support this over the past 2 years, but we lose 1 coin flip game to a rival and it negates everything in some peoples heads. It's bizarre.

Reactions: blue425 and bhamill

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Your point about having another gear or 2 is spot on. When the Rangers need the game, you get their A game. There's so much evidence to support this over the past 2 years, but we lose 1 coin flip game to a rival and it negates everything in some peoples heads. It's bizarre.
Honestly, I'm not worried about the Devils. If the Rangers bring their A game, they win.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Disappointed, but not terribly concerned. Rangers could have easily won it or forced OT with a little bit of puck luck.

If Schneider and Harpur were even remotely capable of good gap control, it's a 1-0 shutout win.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
After the first period, Henrik Lundqvist said the Rangers need to start finishing their checks to slow the Devils down. Unfortunately. the Rangers aren’t built that way.

During the game, Joe Micheletti said the Rangers need to get the puck in deep and stop trying to make plays in the neural zone and near Devils blueline. Unfortunately, the Rangers aren’t built that way.

The Rangers are an east and west team. They like to hold onto to the puck and make a play. Not enough north and south. The Rangers look fantastic playing some of the bad teams who can't defend. Get the puck in deep and go get it. Nope. The Rangers were more north and south last season in the playoffs. Pucks deep. North and south on the blueline. Finish your checks. They don't have to be big checks. Those checks/rubs add up over a playoff series.
What? The NYR hit more than most teams. About 24 per game. The leaders are at 28 and change. And they are heavier on it than most teams. The Devils by contrast have about 17 hits per game… We WILL wear the Devils down badly in a series. They started pulling up to avoid contact in the second period last night. They made it one period before they started rushing their plays. Just wait till the second period of game three. After 7 periods, at a minimum, of hits into the series.

Last edited:

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Bottom line is, I don’t like the way we match up against the devils. But I also think we can win a 7 game series against them….

Honestly, this series is a coin flip to me. People say playoffs are more physical, but how can you hit the devils when you can’t catch them?

People say the devils only score on the rush and that’s rarer in the playoffs, but I don’t think that’s true. Both their goals came from a forecheck, and quite a few other chances too. Hughes is underrated in his forechecking ability.

I like our chances, but I don’t love them.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
i think the Devils are our worst matchup in the whole conference. even Boston is better. we have no answer for their speed, our only hope is that they tire themselves out. the 1st period yesterday was less about how bad we played and more of just how hard to handle the Devils are when they're clicking. we simply could not get the puck away from them because we couldn't keep up with them. id much rather play Carolina in rd1 and let the Islanders bang up the Devils before we have to play them.

it might end up being a good thing that we lost this game.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Exactly. This rangers team seems to need a bit of time to adjust ... The devils came out with something to prove... The Rangers will show up when it counts. Trouba's definitely leveling someone... and Lindgren will be back.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

Callafan24

Sep 22, 2010
New York City
Good game, with Playoff intensity for long stretches.

In order to get through NJ (and Carolina) we will need to dump and chase with 2 men in. They are going to clog the neutral zone and play counter attack. And we can't continue to play east-west through the middle right into their trap.

Shift our style to a heavier game and let the PP cook.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
and even though you can play thru a labrum tear (if it is indeed torn) the medical staff and coaches would be idiots to let him play rather than letting him sit until the final game or two of the season.

true, although if it was a torn labrum he'd be in and out like the pitt series last year with his ankle all playoffs. he should have enough time for a separation to be a virtual to complete non issue by the time playoffs get here. guessing he'll get at minimum 2 or 3 games just for timing.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
That 3rd pair was atrocious.

No one was attacking the middle again.

The cute east-west, turning pucks over between the bluelines

We still beat them in a series IMO... and I still dont think it's close. Like 4-1 or 4-2

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
You could also see why Kane is considered a 'clutch' player. He's the only one that kicked it up a notch late game imo

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Bottom line is, I don’t like the way we match up against the devils. But I also think we can win a 7 game series against them….

Honestly, this series is a coin flip to me. People say playoffs are more physical, but how can you hit the devils when you can’t catch them?

People say the devils only score on the rush and that’s rarer in the playoffs, but I don’t think that’s true. Both their goals came from a forecheck, and quite a few other chances too. Hughes is underrated in his forechecking ability.

I like our chances, but I don’t love them.
Oh, they'll catch em.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
We need to attack with 4 or 5 like every other good team does.

The defenders gap up to take away the transition if the puck does get by the forecheck We don't do that. We just back up and concede 150ft to our dots. I don't like it.

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
After the first period, Henrik Lundqvist said the Rangers need to start finishing their checks to slow the Devils down. Unfortunately. the Rangers aren’t built that way.

During the game, Joe Micheletti said the Rangers need to get the puck in deep and stop trying to make plays in the neural zone and near Devils blueline. Unfortunately, the Rangers aren’t built that way.

The Rangers are an east and west team. They like to hold onto to the puck and make a play. Not enough north and south. The Rangers look fantastic playing some of the bad teams who can't defend. Get the puck in deep and go get it. Nope. The Rangers were more north and south last season in the playoffs. Pucks deep. North and south on the blueline. Finish your checks. They don't have to be big checks. Those checks/rubs add up over a playoff series.
Exactly, and this is my qualm with the "Fire Gallant" crowd. The roster construction has dictated how the team will play far more than the coaching staff has.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
What? The NYR hit more than most teams. About 24 per game. The leaders are at 28 and change. And they are heavier on it than most teams. The Devils by contrast have about 17 hits per game… We WILL wear the Devils down badly in a series. They started pulling up to avoid contact in the second period last night. They made it one period before they started rushing their plays. Just wait till the second period of game three. After 7 periods, at a minimum, of hits into the series.
Reciting stat lines does not prove the point wrong. The Rangers like to stand around and make stretch passes. So many failed zone exits and so many turnovers because they don't make the simple play to get pucks north and out work the other team, instead the preference is to stop short and look for cross ice passes, every single time (unless its a line change), in every zone of the rink.

Reactions: Boris Zubov
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad