Confirmed with Link: Casey Mittelstadt traded to COL for D Bo Byram. Straight up.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Another thought: a year ago, this would have been considered a fleecing by BUF because Casey still hadn't really become what he is today, and expectations were still higher for Byram. Byram is only 22. This could still turn out well. And you have to factor the contract situation into it.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
But he’s not going have “more reigns” as you put it. Not with Dahlin and Power here
I imagine he'll play on the left with Dahlin or the right with Power. Either way it's more reigns. I think paired with Dahlin would get the most out of him, but I don't know what that means for your 2nd pair. Maybe Samuelsson is moved in the offseason for a RHD

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I imagine he'll play on the left with Dahlin or the right with Power. Either way it's more reigns. I think paired with Dahlin would get the most out of him, but I don't know what that means for your 2nd pair. Maybe Samuelsson is moved in the offseason for a RHD
They don't even play "sides" any more the way they used to in the old days. They switch around quite a bit.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
You're gonna love him. He's developed into everything you want come playoff time. Smart, plays a good enough 200 foot game, has really flourished in terms of his board play and puck possession in the o-zone, can gel pretty easily with a variety of players. Not the fastest or strongest guy, and those shortcomings will be annoying here and there, but he generally knows where to be/how to get to high-danger/high traffic areas and is an effective distributor and a decent finisher. Has pretty good hands, too. Biggest negative over the past two years is he'll almost always refuse to shoot from distance on the powerplay, even when a lane is wide open and shooting is the best option.
Thanks for the report. I'd love to see him with Rantanen and hopefully wake him up. Put Nichuskin on the other side and that will open a lot of space for him.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
This trade doesn’t make sense from the Sabres pov. I hope there are other moves coming that would make it make sense.
I wonder if he's gettin a lot of interest on Joker? Despite what this board thinks, he might have some solid value, RFA, RD

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
If I put my thoughts on this I am sure I would upset a bunch of people. I find their lack of ability is not made palatable by their proclamations of their faith and I will leave it there.

At first glance this looks like a loss. Mitts had leverage with possible arbitration due not in small part because Thompson and Cozens have stunk. They didn’t get bigger or tougher or more defensively focused on the blueline. They also aren’t more robust in terms of health, quite the opposite. The guy is a left shot who has not done well on his offhand side. Perhaps they do want to push Dahlin or Power to the right side permanently but this is more river hockey IMO. And river hockey does not win.
Exactly. Well put. I'm enticed with Byram's potential, but he's a lefty, he needs time to develop, he's not known for his defense, injury concerns, etc...

It's more of the same when we desperately need DIFFERENT. The good news is, he's won a cup, and played a big role doing it. That's what I'll hang my head on, I suppose. Enticing potential + has been a part of a cup run.

Reactions: Dingo44

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I'm not upset we traded Mittelstadt.

I'm upset that we simply didn't wait until the summer to get a better fit. I'm sure Byram is fine....but Mittelstadt finally has some actual value and we flip him for ANOTHER d-man when we are a budget team already slotted for 27M next year just for defense. We are going to have the most expensive defense that doesn't know how to play defense in the NHL. By far.

The ironic thing, in the best case scenario he's an amazing fit, we aren't going to be able to pay him because some genius gave power 8M a year before he even came close to earning it.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
"We need a D" trades center for a D, "NOT THAT D". His contract is basically what Mitts would ask for.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
We don’t need another puck rushing dman. Certainly not a lefty or youngster.

We needed vet defensive dmen, preferably physical. We are too young and soft on defense. Overall as well.

Byrum is very talented kid and I think value wise it’s a fair trade. But it makes no sense with the needs the Sabres have.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Another thought: a year ago, this would have been considered a fleecing by BUF because Casey still hadn't really become what he is today, and expectations were still higher for Byram. Byram is only 22. This could still turn out well. And you have to factor the contract situation into it.
Absolutely, but be prepared for more growing pains in our D core when we really needed someone to minimize those growing pains.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Exactly. Well put. I'm enticed with Byram's potential, but he's a lefty, he needs time to develop, he's not known for his defense, injury concerns, etc...

It's more of the same when we desperately need DIFFERENT. The good news is, he's won a cup, and played a big role doing it. That's what I'll hang my head on, I suppose. Enticing potential + has been a part of a cup run.

He was very good in the Avs’ Cup run but hasn’t come close to that level since. I’m hoping the extent of their desire for him isn’t based mostly on just that.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Samuelsson has had substantial stints on the right and played very well. I expect they have him play RHD as well and pair him with Power and have Byram or Jokiharju paired with Dahlin once Sammy is healthy again.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
It's always possible the Sabres had discussions and knew Middlestadt had no intention of re-signing here in the offseason at any (reasonable) price. At that point you have to take what you can get :dunno:
No matter how you slice it, especially with Kevyn's over-confidence in getting a deal done based on his own words, it's a mark against Adams. He still had a full year before he needed to sign a new contract.

Now Adams has a defenseman that he essentially has to do the same thing with in regards to signing another contract, but this player not having any loyalty to the organization that would be important for a franchise that has trouble trading for players with any sort of clauses in their contracts.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Technically sold high on Mitts which was at least smart. Maybe he saw enough from Krebs? Idk. Spot to acquire a top 6 forward now with assets.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
You’ll love him. He’s shown his character over the last couple of years. Didn’t show the production everyone expected from such a skilled prospect … never gave up and never seemed to have a bad attitude.

Then for the last couple of years he has been showing the most effort of anyone in the team, doesn’t get pushed off the puck, keeps possession, shows some great little dangles through people, points coming on as a result

This one sucks as a Sabres fan. Not because I hate getting Byram, but because I hate losing Mitts.
FWIW I've always been against trading Byram because of what he's shown and his potential. I've been more in favor of trading Girard but he's really shined since returning to the lineup.

Bo has always kind of reminded me of Doughty, both in play style and attitude. I think a lot of his season performances have been underwhelming because he just likes the big games. And like I said he's a bit of a cocky kid, winning a cup so early only inflates that ego. He was never going to be a top 5 player on the Avs, and that hurts these guys with big personalities. They want to be the guy

You build from D out. With Byram/Dahlin/Power there's a lot of things to like for a Cup run eventually. I think he wears a letter for you guys and ends up taking this trade personally and really begins to live up to his potential. Hopefully this helps both teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad