Confirmed with Link: Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) - Signed, #37

Status
Not open for further replies.

LetsDoughBuffalo

Apr 4, 2014
To be fair he said that last time while calling two things that happened within 24 hours.

Comparatively Paul Hamilton still couldn’t tell people the rules of burning Casey’s ELC at 430 today

I remember the "Day of Reckoning" tweet that Jeremy sent before Murray's end-of-season meeting.

I definitely thought it referred to Bylsma - turns out it was Murray too. Love this source!

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
Knowing Housley, he'd go so far as to plug him in at 5/6 D, just to keep Antipin from playing.

Seriously though, imagine him being on Jack's wing? Double threat for defense, who to concentrate on? Both can be absolutely deadly with their shots.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I have to think that the inconsistent play of his team and missing the playoffs has to weigh into Casey's decision here.

If Mittelstadt does indeed decide to leave college - based on the coaching change or just because he thinks it's time - I hope he agrees to an ATO in Rochester plus ELC in Buffalo to start next year as opposed to an ELC with Buffalo this year.

I think playing the remainder of the Amerks schedule and in what we hope is a playoff run for the Amerks will serve him immensely in his development as a pro.

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
Why risk an injury to the kid and derail his development for 9 meaningless games in March/April?

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Why risk an injury to the kid and derail his development for 9 meaningless games in March/April?
That is just ridiculous reasoning. So these 9 games he might get injured so don't play him but the next season he wont so then its ok for him to play. Do we wrap him in bubble wrap in the off season too? Players and teams don't make decisions on players based on maybe he gets injured.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
The team he’s on is bad. The coach is gone. One of its better d men just bolted early. You’ve been named the top prospect in the game by multiple rankings. You were a part of a ridiculous percentage of your teams scoring despite being used on the third line most of the year. You dominated your peers in the WJC.

There’s not only no good reason to go back...there’s no decent one.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
The team he’s on is bad. The coach is gone. One of its better d men just bolted early. You’ve been named the top prospect in the game by multiple rankings. You were a part of a ridiculous percentage of your teams scoring despite being used on the third line most of the year. You dominated your peers in the WJC.

If Bob Motzko replaces Lucia at Minnesota it would be big well received news, Casey played for him at this year's WJC. I'd like to sign him before that might happen because Motzko being hired would most likely be a reason Mittelstadt would return to school.

Hopefully Motzko is happy and committed to St. Cloud State but he began his coaching career as an assistant to Herb Brooks at Minnesota.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY

I agree with this, no good hockey-related reason not to sign on the dotted line and start making that money. Hopefully it's Rochester ATO right now, and ELC over the summer.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee

This is the problem with how pessimistic Sabres fans have become. I don't know maybe to set a precedent that we're looking forward to hockey for some reason what so ever. This isn't a bad thing, it's a good thing. Getting him signed means he's here for good, with no second guessing. Relax brah.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Let's take it one step further. Let's sign him but never play him, even in the next few years... so he can never get injured AND he never has the chance to disappoint us. :thumbu: Sounds like a win-win for us Sabres fans. We can talk about how great he "could be", and the tire fire we saved him from, forever.

EDIT: Frankly, I'm disappointed that we wasted 3 years of Eichel. When he could've been sitting out all this time, mint condition, just appreciating in value. :yashin:

Last edited:
Reactions: Dingo44

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Bailey/Baptiste - Mittelstadt - Erod or
Mittelstadt - Eichel - Erod or
Mittelstadt - ROR - Reinhart

are options that I'm very okay with, or if Nylander makes the team that could lead to a potential Mittelstadt - Eichel - Nylander line, which would be one of the most exciting lines in the NHL. Or Phil can go with the Mittelstadt - Larsson - Nolan 8 mins a night route, in which case I will promptly stop watching the Sabres
How good is Mittelstadt's defense? Because of the top options, only the one with ROR and Reinhart seems plausible. In the bottom options, Mittelstadt - Eichel - Nylander seems too "risky" initially.

They usually sign to commit with the contingency that the coaching staff stays the same. If he committed in such a fashion and had the out clause, just like all basketball players do, it'd be fine.

Though there's players who 'commit' and change all the time too because they never actually signed the papers, had some BS clause, etc.
Other comments above clarify the commitment scenarios relate to matriculating students, not to students already in school. I know of no reason Mittelstadt isn't free to leave.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
I wouldn't be surprised to see Motzko slide over, but my money is on Guentzel. Why? Nothing terribly insightful, but I have a buddy in St. Paul, a friend of the program and one who was firmly on board the "Oust Lucia" train, who DOES NOT WANT Guentzel taking over, which is precisely why he believes it will happen. And yes, I have relayed to my buddy that based on that attitude he'd make an excellent Sabres fan.

Reactions: Chainshot

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
How good is Mittelstadt's defense? Because of the top options, only the one with ROR and Reinhart seems plausible. In the bottom options, Mittelstadt - Eichel - Nylander seems too "risky" initially.

Agreed, still though Mittelstadt - ROR - Reinhart is a fantastic option for next year.

Reactions: brian_griffin

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
ya, screw that Eichel kid

O'Reagan/Nylander/Smith/Olofosson - Eichel - Erod ?

Jack elevates everyones game so you don't need to put our best wingers with him. Teams will have to choose between the ROR line or Jack to put their best d-units against, and the other line will be able to feast on weaker matchups.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
After Minnesota hires a new coach.

That could really suck if SCSC goes to the Frozen Four. They wouldn’t be talking to Motzko until after that and that’s the start of the Amerks playoffs. There isn’t even the option for him to burn a year if he waits that long.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That could really suck if SCSC goes to the Frozen Four. They wouldn’t be talking to Motzko until after that and that’s the start of the Amerks playoffs. There isn’t even the option for him to burn a year if he waits that long.

Given how he figured out a way to play HS hockey his senior year, I don't know if he is motivated to maximize the economics like some players are.

He is a Minnesota kid who likely views being a Gopher as a huge honor and a childhood dream come true.

I think he will take his time deciding whether to turn pro or not.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
If you want to see him go to Rochester to finish the year, is it really a bad thing if that option is no longer on the table?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad