Confirmed with Link: Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) - Signed, #37

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I'm surprised we went forward, center specifically... especially with defense still on the board. Makes me think (hope) Botts has something planned in the "forward<->defense trade" realm of things.

Dunno much about the pick himself. Clips looked nice.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
A lot of poor reaction. I'm confused. Kid is speedy and doesn't have a ceiling. Guy wasn't in nhl shape and put together a great year.

Love the boom bust factor. That's the type of player to take in this draft. Safe players in this draft turn into average nhlers

Reactions: jray7807

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Vilardi, and maybe Tippett, were better options. Frustrating to pass on Valardi who was ranked 3rd in THN and 4th in RedLine.

This guy is ranked right up there. Big difference between the two is speed.

7 11 14

Jan 18, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I was open to anyone as long as our scouting staff thought it was he best player for our franchise going forward. I'm fine with the pick! No reason not to be. The argument could've been made for a defenseman but no matter what defenseman we picked it would've probably been a reach. And, we aren't really deep at any position. I would've preferred trying to trade back if anything.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
BPA, not surprising. If they tried to trade the pick and could not, then it's a good pick imo. No defensemen that are still available will fit what they're trying to accomplish in the next few years, while Middlestadt will likely remain a very tradeable asset for a few years.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I like it. I'm a fan of BPA over needs in sports like hockey and baseball. By time he is ready to play, our defense needs to be figured out anyways so it's a moot point

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I had Vilardi ahead of Mittelstadt but I understand why they'd like Mittlestadt more. Just happy we didn't try to force something that wasn't there.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Fast and highly skilled, what's not to like?

I'd have preferred Liljegren but happy Mittelstadt dropped to us, Vilardi is a plodding forward, we need to get faster.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
I did like Pierre Mcguire's take on his combine flop. The kid comes off as an rink rat, not a gym rat. If Sabres strength and conditioning team can work with him, and he adds strength/mass to his slick handling and skating, he could be a really nice NHL forward. But the trick is whether he's willing to put in the gym work to compliment his love of the rink.

But yeah, if you haven't noticed, Botteril is speed first type of guy. So Vilardi was never an option for him. And that mindset should help you predict who the Sabres choose going forward for the next few years.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Draft Analyst write up:

Scouting Report
No draft-eligible player exemplifies infectious leadership the way this Minnesota-reared super scorer does, and there’s a strong chance Mittelstadt will end up within a select group of prospects to challenge Nolan Patrick for the top slot. Size, speed, grace, vision, power and enthusiasm are just a few words one throws around when dissecting his game, and it will be on display for the University of Minnesota in the fall of 2017. Mittelstadt is a money player with a deadly shot, using his size and lower body strength to step into it with NHL-level velocity. He can also make flashy plays and use a dizzying array of puck skills to turn defenders inside-out before threading the needle with a crisp pass. Mittelstadt can play both center and wing, but he exploits his acute sense for finding and acquiring pucks from either position. He led the USHL in scoring as a rookie before returning to high school, where his bid to lead Eden Prairie to a state AA title fell just short.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Speed and highly skilled, what's not to like? He'll get into the gym at Minnesota.

I said it when he had his combine results in his prospect thread....if I'm an NHL team looking at how smart, skilled and fast he is now...wait until I teach him how to work out properly and strengthen his core.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I did like Pierre Mcguire's take on his combine flop. The kid comes off as an rink rat, not a gym rat. If Sabres strength and conditioning team can work with him, and he adds strength/mass to his slick handling and skating, he could be a really nice NHL forward. But the trick is whether he's willing to put in the gym work to compliment his love of the rink.

Minny's S&C guys will get ahold of him -- he'll be working with his teammates because he enjoys being with his teammates and they will be at the gym.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
I like him. I just don't like not drafting one of the dmen. I'm honestly pretty excited to see him in a Sabres uni. He's gonna be fun to watch.

aceface33

Feb 10, 2006
Herkimer, NY
Soo... we just lost a player due to the college clause in the CBA, so lets take a player going to college. WTF? I thought we'd go Valimaki or Vilardi. I'm pretty unimpressed with Botts at this point

This is not an issue with top picks. As I understand it, the drafting team retains the players rights for 4 years and after that they can become a UFA. For example, Petersen was drafted in 2013, can become a UFA this year. For top picks like Mittlestadt, the chances they stay in college for 4 years is slim. They want to come out, get paid, start the clock counting towards RFA/UFA for the big money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad