Confirmed with Link: Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) - Signed, #37

Status
Not open for further replies.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Not sure burning a year off his ELC is worth him going to the Rochester for a playoff run is worth it. It probably wouldn’t hurt to ask if he’d be willing to sign a PTO with Rochester and have his Sabres ELC kick in next year.

From his/his agents point of view, they can try and leverage him signing with Buffalo to burn a year. Botterill, I don’t think would do that.

It’s ultimatwly something that I think cm would need to decide. Botterill has mentioned a couple times that it’s up to Mittelstadt if he wants to go pro. (THN had Botts on a podcast).

I’d love to get CM in Rochester but I’m not burning a year to do so. Hopefully he starts next year in Rochester and gets called up by Christmas.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
The Buffalo hockey media is uniquely worthless. You'd think one of them could at least cultivate a source who could give them the correct answers on matters relating to the CBA, but no. Vogl waits until Cap Friendly tweets the answer to a question on Twitter to offer a correction.

Reactions: Chainshot

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Not sure burning a year off his ELC is worth him going to the Rochester for a playoff run is worth it. It probably wouldn’t hurt to ask if he’d be willing to sign a PTO with Rochester and have his Sabres ELC kick in next year.

From his/his agents point of view, they can try and leverage him signing with Buffalo to burn a year. Botterill, I don’t think would do that.

It’s ultimatwly something that I think cm would need to decide. Botterill has mentioned a couple times that it’s up to Mittelstadt if he wants to go pro. (THN had Botts on a podcast).

I’d love to get CM in Rochester but I’m not burning a year to do so. Hopefully he starts next year in Rochester and gets called up by Christmas.

Just a FYI. He either burns a year up here or he signs an ATO to go to Rochester and play in the playoffs. There is no scenario that involves his ELC and playing for the Amerks in the playoffs

Last edited:

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
Well, I'm going to throw another wrinkle into this discussion of Sabres, Amerks or another year at the U.

I am not sure Botts will try to sign him now a d here is why. Because Connor Hurley left Notre Dame last spring right after his junior year, but committed to playing his senior year for MN. He couldn't play this year for the Gophers because of that, but he will play next year in Minneapolis. I would agree that Casey is not necessarily ready for a jump straight to the NHL, some seasoning in Rochester would make sense in that respect.

BUT...if you leave Casey in Minnesota for another year, he plays with Connor Hurley, those two have have become pretty good friends this season from what I have heard. And we all know what happens to Sabres prospects after they graduate from college, they sign somewhere else.

So you let Casey slow cook in MN, playing alongside Connor. Then they both have decent years playing on the same line and decide to keep the party going and come to the Sabres together after next season. The Sabres could bring them both in next year and that would delay major contracts for either of them until after 20/21 and not complicate things with the Seattle draft.

Just my angle, I wouldn't mind him sticking around MN for another year.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I wouldn't be opposed to Casey going back for another year of college. He played well, but it's not like he lit the league on fire. I'd like to see him dominate next year and sign him after his sophomore season.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Well, I'm going to throw another wrinkle into this discussion of Sabres, Amerks or another year at the U.

I am not sure Botts will try to sign him now a d here is why. Because Connor Hurley left Notre Dame last spring right after his junior year, but committed to playing his senior year for MN. He couldn't play this year for the Gophers because of that, but he will play next year in Minneapolis. I would agree that Casey is not necessarily ready for a jump straight to the NHL, some seasoning in Rochester would make sense in that respect.

BUT...if you leave Casey in Minnesota for another year, he plays with Connor Hurley, those two have have become pretty good friends this season from what I have heard. And we all know what happens to Sabres prospects after they graduate from college, they sign somewhere else.

So you let Casey slow cook in MN, playing alongside Connor. Then they both have decent years playing on the same line and decide to keep the party going and come to the Sabres together after next season. The Sabres could bring them both in next year and that would delay major contracts for either of them until after 20/21 and not complicate things with the Seattle draft.

You are not influenced what do with Casey Mittelstadt based on Connor Hurley. Connor. Hurley.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville

Tim Murray is that you? It’s this type of cute stuff that got you fired.

BSabres

Sep 24, 2013
You are not influenced what do with Casey Mittelstadt based on Connor Hurley. Connor. Hurley.

I thought the best part was him saying it would delay major contracts for either of them. Major contract for Connor Hurley lmao.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Don't screw around. Sign him and let him finish the season with the sabres. Trying to save a year of an ELC vs playing Amerks/Sabres is an easy decision for me.

Getting 10 games with the sabres and then Amerks playoffs could help/hurt his development. I will take help in the statement. He will know exactly what to train for in the off season

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Don't screw around. Sign him and let him finish the season with the sabres. Trying to save a year of an ELC vs playing Amerks/Sabres is an easy decision for me.

Getting 10 games with the sabres and then Amerks playoffs could help/hurt his development. I will take help in the statement. He will know exactly what to train for in the off season
If he plays for the Sabres, I believe he will not be eligible to go play for Rochester during the playoffs.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
If he signs an ATO to play with the Amerks, I believe that doesn't impact his ability to return to the NCAA next year if the player and the team feel that's the best next step for his development. That's the route I would expect to see, if anything. Keeps maximum flexibility, there no point in playing him in the NHL for 11 meaningless games (other than the obvious financial motivation...if Casey is bent on being in the NHL next year then it matters not that he can keep his amateur eligibility).

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
If he signs an ATO to play with the Amerks, I believe that doesn't impact his ability to return to the NCAA next year if the player and the team feel that's the best next step for his development. That's the route I would expect to see, if anything. Keeps maximum flexibility, there no point in playing him in the NHL for 11 meaningless games (other than the obvious financial motivation...if Casey is bent on being in the NHL next year then it matters not that he can keep his amateur eligibility).
If he is paid he can't go back to college is my understand. Does a player get paid on an ATO?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
To sum up- Signing a contract ends his NCAA eligibility. He is either in Buffalo in his elc burning a year or he is in Rochester on an ATO. If he plays in Buffalo he can not go to Rochester.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

They’re not going to pull him out of school in the middle of semester for a tryout of sorts. If he leaves school it’s because the Sabres, Casey and his reps came to an agreement that its time to move on. The only reason for the ATO is to delay the start of his contract. Which the signing of ends his eligibility.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
If he plays in Rochester, which is in a professional league, he is absolutely done with college hockey forever. ATO does not mean that the player retains amateur status for NCAA purposes. Players on ATOs still get paid (although from what I can tell from a quick search, only a per diem). Besides, there'd be little reason for Mittelstadt to sign an ATO without an ELC signed for next season to go with it.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Why do you think they were so eager to pick Casey? To get a little bird in Connor's ear.

I see no other reason. Our last effort to get in Connor's ear ditched us for LA. He was so bad Connor went to a different school. Thank a god, we didn't sign such a toxic person.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Thanks for the information. I didn't realize that an ATO still negates any future NCAA eligibility. I guess I'm 50/50 on whether they sign him or he remains college eligible for another year, keep his options open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad