Confirmed with Link: Casey DeSmith re-signed 2 years $1.8m AAV

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Anyone mad about this should take a look at the goalie UFA market. Slim pickings this year. Any clear upgrade on DeSmith would probably cost you twice as much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Anyone mad about this should take a look at the goalie UFA market. Slim pickings this year. An clear upgrade on DeSmith would probably cost you twice as much.

That's yet to be proved or disproved

Maybe the Pens will look smart at this price point. Time will tell

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That's yet to be proved or disproved

Maybe the Pens will look smart at this price point. Time will tell

The best UFA goalies are Fleury, Kuemper, Husso, Campbell and Holtby, and then there's a pretty dramatic drop. There are only 6 goalies (those 5 plus Comrie, who only played in 19 games) who had above a .905 save% and played in more than 10 games. It's a woeful list.

I think the alternatives to DeSmith were guys like Holtby, Halak, Jones and Comrie. I'd rather just stick with DeSmith if those are the alternatives.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Yes, and even if you do that, you still don't have the cap space to do all of the things you want.

So, you're saying we may as well go for the President's Trophy if we cannot win the Stanley Cup?

This is not the Premier League. There is only one trophy in this sport that is worth a damn.

You'd think an organization that has actually won it when all of us have been alive would know that.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I suspect they spoke to the Fleury camp (and likely other potential backups) to get a feel for the numbers they were expecting, and that made them consider/realize that DeSmith was their best option.

What I can't get is why we haven't made any moves to create space on D. I'm sure JR would have made it happen by now, then again JR hasn't done much in Vancouver yet, so who knows.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
You can't just magically create cap space. You can't force a team to take Zucker, Dumo and Petts for no cap coming back, unless you're willing to give up hefty sweeteners in the form of futures.

I think they should've been moving bloated contracts all along, but bitching about the CDS deal wasting cap is nonsense imo.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
You can't just magically create cap space. You can't force a team to take Zucker, Dumo and Petts for no cap coming back, unless you're willing to give up hefty sweeteners in the form of futures.

I think they should've been moving bloated contracts all along, but bitching about the CDS deal wasting cap is nonsense imo.

You don't need a sweetener to trade Dumoulin. Come on now. McDonagh went for Myers and Mismash. The Bolts saved over $4 million in that deal.

Dadonov went for Weber. Nothing else. Zucker would probably be a similar deal.

I don't know what Pettersson's value is.

All I am saying is we are in cap hell and Malkin is 8 days from testing the market. Casey DeSmith is a fricking afterthought. Or at least he should have been.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Of course. Gotta bring back the group that has won seven consecutive Stanley Cup rings, right?
Yes absolutely. Except for that one pesky Russian. He had major knee surgery and missed half the season. He may be a f***ing HOF legend but let's lowball him in contract negotiations, while holding no reservations to the goalie who missed the playoffs in back-to-back years due to injury.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I suspect they spoke to the Fleury camp (and likely other potential backups) to get a feel for the numbers they were expecting, and that made them consider/realize that DeSmith was their best option.

What I can't get is why we haven't made any moves to create space on D. I'm sure JR would have made it happen by now, then again JR hasn't done much in Vancouver yet, so who knows.

Damn I wish I was a fly on the wall. Gun to my head I don't think they even reached out to MAF about a reunion

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
You don't need a sweetener to trade Dumoulin. Come on now. McDonagh went for Myers and Mismash. The Bolts saved over $4 million in that deal.

Dadonov went for Weber. Nothing else. Zucker would probably be a similar deal.

I don't know what Pettersson's value is.

All I am saying is we are in cap hell and Malkin is 8 days from testing the market. Casey DeSmith is a fricking afterthought. Or at least he should have been.
None of us have any idea what anyone's value is, and to pretend we do is nonsense. We're all a buncha dipshits on a message board way too interested in sports. :laugh: Dumo's game is cratered because of injuries, and while I think he's the most attractive asset of the bunch around the league, nobody really knows.

CDS has no bearing on Geno re-signing. He's making what any backup is going to be making, more or less. This team's not gonna run with some WBS dude making less than a million.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yes absolutely. Except for that one pesky Russian. He had major knee surgery and missed half the season. He may be a f***ing HOF legend but let's lowball him in contract negotiations, while holding no reservations to the goalie who missed the playoffs in back-to-back years due to injury.

what do you mean “no reservations “….CDS got nearly a 50% raise despite ending two seasons with core injuries to different sides of his body lol! …that’s ludicrous…I want that boss

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
what do you mean “no reservations “….CDS got nearly a 50% raise despite ending two seasons with core injuries to different sides of his body lol! …that’s ludicrous…I want that boss
I worded my post poorly but yea this deal sucks for PIT.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
Not sure who this guy is, but he has a blue check mark by his name, and he likes the deal. Anyways that’s not important. It’s not like someone would blindly like any move the Pens make

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Over the last 3 seasons, CDS has a Goals Allowed % Relative of 94. 100 is average, and the lower the number the better. For comparison, Vasilevsky has an 88 and Jarry a 91.

CDS also has a Quality Starts % of 54.9. Around 53 is the league average, above 60 is good, and below 50 is bad. For comparison, Vasilevksy has a 59.9 and Jarry a 62.4.

These are regular season stats. And I suspect that CDS's numbers would be worse the more he starts.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Not sure who this guy is, but he has a blue check mark by his name, and he likes the deal. Anyways that’s not important. It’s not like someone would blindly like any move the Pens make

wrong Steve… teams with good front offices that are tight to the cap trade away average to good players who arent productive at their cap hit to gain more cap space to sign players who can make more of a difference (see Tampa) …

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad