GDT: CarWash Time

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I'd rather be in our position with our schedule than Columbus or Montreal. So, in my opinion, nothing that came before this -- no late lost leads, no Darling-started games, no "no calls" -- matter. We're where we need to be. If we don't make the playoffs, it will be because we didn't play well enough in these final five games.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'd rather be in our position with our schedule than Columbus or Montreal. So, in my opinion, nothing that came before this -- no late lost leads, no Darling-started games, no "no calls" -- matter. We're where we need to be. If we don't make the playoffs, it will be because we didn't play well enough in these final five games.

I personally blame the shootout loss against Washington after blowing the 4 goal lead or whatever it was.

Reactions: zman77 and Tryamw

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Forslund was at a Canes luncheon today hedging the end of the season hard. Said the guys are feeling a ton of pressure to make the Playoffs but this season will be a success even if they miss. He said the one good thing about if they do make it is that there will be zero pressure for them to beat Washington/Tampa which could fall in their benefit.

Also said he has heard lots of "insider info" about Adam Fox which all contradicts eachother. He said if he had a guess that "Fox stays" although I wasn't clear if he meant "stays with the Canes" or "stays at Harvard".

On the goalies Forslund said he still thinks they need a true #1 - although management could feel that Mrazek can be that piece. He said Nedeljkovic has done everything necessary to show he deserves to be in the #2 role next year.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Yeah.....no. He and the team can stop peddling that **** right now.
Forslund already level setting himself. Wonder if Tripp is doing the same.

This was in the context similar to what Martinook said to the same luncheon earlier this year. That this group of players is tighter and more "together" than any group they had ever seen (in John's case since the '06 Cup team). John was optimistic that this would run into next year.

John said he liked not making any deadline additions as a "we like our group" sentiment. He said if anything he would have looked to move out Ferland, which probably also summarizes his feelings on getting him re-signed.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
While Habs schedule is nightmarish, i do not believe they gonna lose five in a row (with L from yesterday). We must win at least three. I believe we could win against Toronto, they suck at home. Take Pens to OT, beat Devils and Flyers.

Reactions: zman77 and Tryamw

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
Still wrapping my mind around the fact that Foegy is a candidate for Goal of the year----because of course when you predict Goal of the Year candidates preseason you have him right next to the McDavids of the world

giphy.gif

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
I was going to post this before the game how I hate the term must win when it’s really not. Why is everyone overreacting? They lost 2 games to a really good team. They’re still around 86% to make the playoffs. It could be Tampa now if they make it but as I said before I don’t really care just make it. If they lose on Saturday you guys can start panicking.

I mean, if that's your goal that's fine. I want to be aiming a bit higher. I liked the Canes chances to be competitive and make some noise against either Pittsburgh or the Islanders, and both were possible matchups before Tuesday. Now it's pretty much locked in to be Washington or Tampa, and we've seen what that looks like.

Reactions: zman77

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
This was in the context similar to what Martinook said to the same luncheon earlier this year. That this group of players is tighter and more "together" than any group they had ever seen (in John's case since the '06 Cup team). John was optimistic that this would run into next year.

John said he liked not making any deadline additions as a "we like our group" sentiment. He said if anything he would have looked to move out Ferland, which probably also summarizes his feelings on getting him re-signed.

There's absolutely no guarantee that things will run into next year though. It could just as easily go south as Nordstrom-Staal-Nestasil did. Mrazek/whoever could go back to 900SV% instead of stealing games. Nino could go back to scoring at a 20-25 goal pace. Williams could take a big step back. This team seems so unique and there's no promises that returns. Take advantage of the season you're having.

dmonk

doughberle
Feb 13, 2007
Raleigh, NC
There's absolutely no guarantee that things will run into next year though. It could just as easily go south as Nordstrom-Staal-Nestasil did. Mrazek/whoever could go back to 900SV% instead of stealing games. Nino could go back to scoring at a 20-25 goal pace. Williams could take a big step back. This team seems so unique and there's no promises that returns. Take advantage of the season you're having.

That very well could be. I consider this as an inevitable fact that Williams is going to take a big step back, and Mrazek's consistency is also a big concern of mine. At the same time you could also predict that Aho and Svech, Tevo and few others (Necas?) will step up and only play better.

Having said that, it's job of GM and owner to build on this year success and improve team during the off season by bringing whatever missing pieces are needed.
While I have no doubt that each of us is a highly qualified arm-chair GM and deserves every penny Canes pay us, it's good to have a backup in Don Waddell and Tom Dundon. Hopefully, they don't screw up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad