GDT: CarWash Time

Primetime8

Oct 10, 2014
Columbia, SC
Last night sucked but they didn't get blatantly out played. Canes didnt finish some grade A chances and they were playing against the superior goalie. Really hurts not getting any points but just move on and take care of business Saturday.

Losing "Superstar" Aho is the biggest problem. Hopefully he breaks out of it here soon. That no look almost snipe would have been one of the top10 goals of the year. Holtby didnt even get in the butterfly yet.

Reactions: zman77 and Tryamw

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
You make a good point, it's only 2 games against a good team. I am personally not panicking. The Habs have 4 remaining: Winn, Tamp, Wash, Tor. **** me if they win 3 of those. They could honestly not get another point.

The BJs have 5 left and 3 layups.

Us? 5 left and 3 layups. I see 5 points as definitely in.

Now, I am not pleased with how we are looking against contenders. That is troubling to me. Our possession time sucks. Our quality chances suck. And... we're pressing.
I'd be surprised if they take more than 2 points out of the last 3 games.

Reactions: zman77 and Tryamw

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Washington is a really good team. It's just unfortunate that we faced them twice in a row when we really needed to pull away from MTL, and CBJ. I wouldn't be surprised if they go to the ECF, or even SC. They found a way to beat Tampa once, and I believe they can do it again even though Tampa seems to be in a different stratosphere.

I hate that the Canes lost 2 in a row, because obviously they're only human and it's probably going to affect some of the players. Players like JW don't give a shit. He knows how to win, but not everyone has 3 Stanley Cup rings.

Hopefully they come out and grind PHI to dust, and move on from this. I thought Aho looked more like himself last night, and the top line seems to be going again. We'll need big things from him and that line going down this stretch.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
tenor.gif

In all seriousness, my only worry about this is that we just collapsed twice against the team we're most likely to play in the first round. Gotta clean that up if we want our beards to grow at all this year.

It also shows how much this team has to grow long-term. Things are so much better for us now than they were at any point the last 5 years, but we still need to clean up the little things if we want to have any serious hope of contending. That will get better with time. This year is about getting some experience under our belts and carrying that momentum into the future.

I'll be honest, the thing that disappoints me the most about this week is the discontinuation of the Surge. I don't care that its playoff time, this team thrived on the fun whimsical nature of the Surge and not giving a crap about what anyone else thought. Eliminating that, I dunno, feels like we're stripping part of our identity away at the most important time of the year.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Washington is a really good team. It's just unfortunate that we faced them twice in a row when we really needed to pull away from MTL, and CBJ. I wouldn't be surprised if they go to the ECF, or even SC. They found a way to beat Tampa once, and I believe they can do it again even though Tampa seems to be in a different stratosphere.

I hate that the Canes lost 2 in a row, because obviously they're only human and it's probably going to affect some of the players. Players like JW don't give a ****. He knows how to win, but not everyone has 3 Stanley Cup rings.

Hopefully they come out and grind PHI to dust, and move on from this. I thought Aho looked more like himself last night, and the top line seems to be going again. We'll need big things from him and that line going down this stretch.

Bro' slow down.
You said:
I hate that the Canes lost 2 in a row, because obviously they're only human and it's probably going to affect some of the players. Players like JW don't give a ****. He knows how to win, but not everyone has 3 Stanley Cup rings.
'Canes have one of the best Captains in the NHL

Reactions: Tryamw

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
zyxCVuqE_bigger.jpg
Michael Smith‏Verified account @MSmithCanes 12h12 hours ago

Rod Brind'Amour: "It's tough. Guys are devastated in there. They know what's at stake.
I thought they gave everything they had. ... I think if we play like that in the
remaining games we'll be in good shape."

Reactions: Tryamw

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Bro' slow down.
You said:
'Canes have one of the best Captains in the NHL

Sure, but they're also one of the youngest teams in the league with many of the players having never seen a post season. My point is yes JW is fine, he is a great Captain, but he's 1 guy. My hope is this doesn't get in the heads of the Yutes. They have to approach PHI with the same tenacity and hope the match up is more favorable.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
God help my growing sense of inevitable disappointment if the Canes lose tomorrow.

Past 6 games have been bad with the exception of Minnesota. Pittsburgh and Montreal wins required last minute goals - PIT with the goalie pulled. Stomped by Washington (x2) and Tampa.

Last edited:

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I’m not in full crisis mode after last night. We were as good in the second as we were bad in the first, and the third could have gone either way. Just have to take these two on the chin, and learn from them. Use them as motivation if and when we play them in a beat of seven in a few weeks.

The top 9 also has to be bolstered in the summer. Necas will help, but with Williams getting older and Ferland potentially walking, we’ve got to make some moves.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I almost wonder if Ferland is trying to save gas for the playoffs and it is messing with his head. If so I really hope someone tells him directly to get back into the game. He does not look like he's dialed in lately and I can't remember him throwing a hit at all since the Boston game when he blew up Johanssen and got hurt after. I don't blame the guy for self-preservation but if he's not throwing the body around he's not helping. No sense saving energy for playoffs if you don't make them. The playoffs have already started for Canes.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I almost wonder if Ferland is trying to save gas for the playoffs and it is messing with his head. If so I really hope someone tells him directly to get back into the game. He does not look like he's dialed in lately and I can't remember him throwing a hit at all since the Boston game when he blew up Johanssen and got hurt after. I don't blame the guy for self-preservation but if he's not throwing the body around he's not helping. No sense saving energy for playoffs if you don't make them. The playoffs have already started for Canes.
It's also possible he is still nursing his injuries but trying to play through them since it's such a crucial time of the year. He got the concussion and was out for a while, came back and got injured against LA, but came back later in the game. I think I remember him getting injured again against WPG (though I didn't watch the game and don't know the injury)...came back a few days later, fought Backes and got injured. Came back and took that helmet to the face days later. That's a lot of bad luck with injuries, and it's definitely possible he's still suffering affects of the concussion or re-aggravated one of those many injuries. That's part of the reason, as much as I love Ferly on this team, I'm weary about giving him anything more than a 2 year contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad