Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
M

My brother in Christ, no. Airbags = no.

Do yourself a favor and look into the Genesis G70. The 3.3T variant with AWD is incredibly fun. Throw a piggyback tune on it and its a God damn blast.

Plus, far more luxurious than a VW AND you get far better reliability.

Automatic Hyundai/Kia transmission:

dumb-and-dumber-jim-carrey.gif

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
M

My brother in Christ, no. Airbags = no.

Do yourself a favor and look into the Genesis G70. The 3.3T variant with AWD is incredibly fun. Throw a piggyback tune on it and its a God damn blast.

Plus, far more luxurious than a VW AND you get far better reliability.
Looks like a nice car.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I should have looked at a GR86/BRZ when I was car shopping several years ago. I probably would have had to call out/work from home a lot during the winter though, but it would have been fun.

If I can find something used/pre-owned for $25k or less this whole thing becomes way more realistic.

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
It's basically a Miata in Italian clothing.

That one is certified too. They are tiny, so make sure you take a spin in one first.
I could pull something like this. I like the extra space the GR86/BRZ has though. Even if you can only fit smurfs in the back two seats it’s still extra space. I also read online that you could fit a set of tires in the trunk. If I can find one that’s </= $25k I’m gonna have to test drive it.

Had no idea there were cars like this out there. My friend got his license like 6 months before everyone else and I had so much fun in that Porsche 924. He crashed it several times and constantly had to be pulled out of the snow but fun was had.

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Honestly how do you buy a used car if you’re not a mechanic? Do you just check it out, look at the Car Fax, and hope for the best? Especially if you’re buying a shipped vehicle without personally seeing it.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Honestly how do you buy a used car if you’re not a mechanic? Do you just check it out, look at the Car Fax, and hope for the best? Especially if you’re buying a shipped vehicle without personally seeing it.
I bought a Porsche shipped from Washington state years ago with no inspection. I got lucky. All it needed was a battery but I wouldn't do that again. You can have used cars inspected. When I sold that same Porsche thevout of state buyer had me drive it to my local Porsche dealer for a PPI (pre purchase inspection). Depending on the year warranty status, etc things can be different. Pictures can hide a lot. Dark cars like black can have a lot of scratches hidden in pictures. Some dealers will be covered by lemon laws. Some will give a 30 day warranty. Shipping a car can be another $1000-$2000. I wish I could step in to help you. The car fax is just a help. It isnt an inspection. Many things will not show on a car fax.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I bought a Porsche shipped from Washington state years ago with no inspection. I got lucky. All it needed was a battery but I wouldn't do that again. You can have used cars inspected. When I sold that same Porsche thevout of state buyer had me drive it to my local Porsche dealer for a PPI (pre purchase inspection). Depending on the year warranty status, etc things can be different. Pictures can hide a lot. Dark cars like black can have a lot of scratches hidden in pictures. Some dealers will be covered by lemon laws. Some will give a 30 day warranty. Shipping a car can be another $1000-$2000. I wish I could step in to help you. The car fax is just a help. It isnt an inspection. Many things will not show on a car fax.
Appreciate it. All good though, I’m not in dire need of a vehicle. I’m just gonna save as much as I can and maybe in the future I’ll find a good deal on a Toyota GR86/Subaru BRZ.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Yes I forgot to specify I’ll only drive manual. The 2024 GTIs are the last generation to have a manual transmission. My main sticking point is the AWD—partially because of snow and partially because of handling. f*** I wish I could just get the Golf R.

The interiors are one of the things I love about VW.
This seems crazy to me, but I am somewhat out of touch. Is this strictly on GTIs being imported to NA or right across the board?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
There is something to be said for not "keeping up with the Joneses."

As you get older you'll realize that most Americans live far beyond their means. And that's perfectly fine and within their rights. But that doesn't mean that you have to as well.
When I was younger and did not have any money I wanted so many things. Now that I'm older and can afford a few things I find I do not really want much in terms of material things.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
This seems crazy to me, but I am somewhat out of touch. Is this strictly on GTIs being imported to NA or right across the board?
Across the board.

EU regulations have changed and the DSG (dual clutch automatic) is more fuel efficient. So they cant sell the manual in Europe any longer.

With Europe being their largest market for manual Golfs/GTIs... They are ending production of them.

So we lose then too.

No more manuals for GTIs or Golf R's here in the States or Canada or anywhere.

Last edited:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Across the board.

EU regulations have changed and the DSG (dual clutch automatic) is more fuel efficient. So they cant sell the manual in Europe any longer.

With Europe being their largest market for manual Golfs/GTIs... They are ending production of them.

So we lose then too.

No more manuals for GTIs or Golf R's here in the States or Canada or anywhere.
Porsche moved away from manuals to the PDKs for a while but then started making some manuals again. I never heard that about Europe. That is bad news. Ferrari stopped making their gated shifters after the F430 in 2009. Now they used gated shifters are in huge demand.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
The WRX STI isn’t that hard to find but I don’t know if I can commute with 16/22 gas mileage. What other fun can be had for $25k? Manual. AWD/RWD.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
That’d be fun. My babysitter let me drive her Mustang when I got my permit lol. I don’t know if I can make do without Apple CarPlay…I know that severely limits the options.
Honestly... it's going to be hard to check all the boxes at that price point.

Since you have transportation and this isn't an emergency... I would save another $5k or so and see if other options start to open up.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Honestly... it's going to be hard to check all the boxes at that price point.

Since you have transportation and this isn't an emergency... I would save another $5k or so and see if other options start to open up.
Yeah I’m mostly just curious about other makers since I’ve only driven VWs. I wanted to buy the 2018 VW Jetta I was leasing but the lease ended right during COVID and the dealership said I couldn’t buy the car, so I was kind of scrambling and just took the nearest manual VW I could find.

It will probably still be GTI vs. WRX in the end but I am intrigued by this GR-86/BRZ car.

It’s sad the filter results on Auto Trader. 15 manual vs 5,000 automatic. That’s an absurd ratio.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Yeah I’m mostly just curious about other makers since I’ve only driven VWs. I wanted to buy the 2018 VW Jetta I was leasing but the lease ended right during COVID and the dealership said I couldn’t buy the car, so I was kind of scrambling and just took the nearest manual VW I could find.

It will probably still be GTI vs. WRX in the end but I am intrigued by this GR-86/BRZ car.

It’s sad the filter results on Auto Trader. 15 manual vs 5,000 automatic. That’s an absurd ratio.
Uh... what?

I think you got taken. With leases you pre-determine the purchase price of the vehicle. It's called the residual. Sounds like the car was worth more than the residual and the dealership wanted to be able to sell it. You actually don't even need to talk to the dealer about buying out a lease, as they aren't part of the transaction. It's between you and the finance company (lease title holder).

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The WRX STI isn’t that hard to find but I don’t know if I can commute with 16/22 gas mileage. What other fun can be had for $25k? Manual. AWD/RWD.
How many miles a year do you drive? What MPG do you currently average?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad