OT: Cars

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I can afford it with some sacrifice but it’s such a stupid car for someone who bought a good commuter car three years ago. I’m just trying to fill a hole in my life. On the other hand even a bad decision would at least give my mind something to think about. But I’ve already kind of derailed the thread enough, although I did learn some things and appreciate all the advice.
The thread is not busy so don't worry about it. What kind of car did you buy 3 years ago? The value of it may be good still.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
How much of an extra burden would the WRX be? I don't follow Suburus but I know a girl with a WRX that loves it.
After the trade-in equity, fees, taxes, it would be the same monthly payment I was making on my Jetta, for 60 months. Just for reference I added on a bunch of stuff like an idiot to the Jetta so I paid well above the sticker price. The extra burden would be the insurance and gas cost doubling what I’m paying now.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
After the trade-in equity, fees, taxes, it would be the same monthly payment I was making on my Jetta, for 60 months. Just for reference I added on a bunch of stuff like an idiot to the Jetta so I paid well above the sticker price. The extra burden would be the insurance and gas cost doubling what I’m paying now.
What would be the increases in gas and insurance? Do you have a good amount of savingsvin case of emergency?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
What would be the increases in gas and insurance? Do you have a good amount of savingsvin case of emergency?
Gas would go from $144/mo to $248/mo. Insurance would go from $137/mo to $220/mo. The gas I calculated so it could be more. The insurance I got a quote for. I have an emergency fund. But honestly I think having to do all these mathematical gymnastics just shows I can’t safely afford it.

This is for the Limited trim. There are 5 trims: Base/Premium/Limited/TR/GR.

Last edited:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Gas would go from $144/mo to $248/mo. Insurance would go from $137/mo to $220/mo. The gas I calculated so it could be more. The insurance I got a quote for. I have an emergency fund. But honestly I think having to do all these mathematical gymnastics just shows I can’t safely afford it.
$3000 a year for insurance? That is almost 10% of the car. I would not do that personally.

Say Hey Kid

Baby, you can drive Makar
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I have a car like that. It’s the third car I’ve owned and all three have been the same model. The only reason I’m even thinking about a new one is because my life is zero fun. I don’t have a family, don’t have a house, don’t have a goal. I’m just a guy with a job I don’t hate, a couple pet lizards, and a 40-mile commute. If I didn’t drive a lot I wouldn’t care but I drive over 20k miles a year. It was nice to have something to think about for a week though.

"Lexus and Toyota took the top spots for brand reliability this year, followed by Mini, Acura, Honda". Here are the most reliable car brands of 2023, according to Consumer Reports

I can't argue against that. I'm just saying there are more dependable car companies. Don't buy a Subaru or VW, buy one of them.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Yeah I mean it’s a relatively affordable car with 271-hp. A lot of people drive them like assholes.

There is something to be said for not "keeping up with the Joneses."

As you get older you'll realize that most Americans live far beyond their means. And that's perfectly fine and within their rights. But that doesn't mean that you have to as well.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
There is something to be said for not "keeping up with the Joneses."

As you get older you'll realize that most Americans live far beyond their means. And that's perfectly fine and within their rights. But that doesn't mean that you have to as well.
Oh I can tell just by the cars I see on my commute. Everyone has a European SUV nowadays.

The dealership just dropped $3k off the price of the 2019 VW Golf R I called about last week. It has 12,000 miles on it but there’s some accident history in the CarFax. That’d be the dream. Get to stay with VW, insurance would stay the same, gas would be more manageable. Sigh.

Last edited:

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Oh I can tell just by the cars I see on my commute. Everyone has a European SUV nowadays.

The dealership just dropped $3k off the price of the 2019 VW Golf R I called about last week. It has 12,000 miles on it but there’s some accident history in the CarFax. That’d be the dream. Get to stay with VW, insurance would stay the same, gas would be more manageable. Sigh.
Is it a VW Certified Pre-Owned?

Or just a dealership used car?

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
No, it’s at a Honda dealership. Used. Here’s the CarFax: Fahrzeughistorien für Autos aus EU & USA

I’ve never personally bought a used car before, and those damn wheels are going to be a nightmare. My friend had an R32 and that thing was madness. He very nearly killed himself in it.

"Airbag deployed" "Disabling damage"

No no no. Do not buy.

I wouldn't go that route.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
"Airbag deployed" "Disabling damage"

No no no. Do not buy.

I wouldn't go that route.
I’d be too nervous to buy any used car. I simply don’t know what to look for. Certified pre-owned would be different. I don’t know, I want a fast car with AWD, that really limits the options. I guess I’ll just have to live with it and get some audiobooks.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Yeah I mean it’s a relatively affordable car with 271-hp. A lot of people drive them like assholes.
Who do you use for car insurance? I have 2 cars fully insured with $1000 deductibles but they are 17 and 25 years old.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
I’d be too nervous to buy any used car. I simply don’t know what to look for. Certified pre-owned would be different. I don’t know, I want a fast car with AWD, that really limits the options. I guess I’ll just have to live with it and get some audiobooks.

I just don't like the plastic interior.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

I just don't like the plastic interior.
The portrait touchscreen infotainment system is absolutely atrocious, but what can you do. I found a 2019 model nearby by but the dealership is really small and seems kind of shady.

Last edited:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
M
No, it’s at a Honda dealership. Used. Here’s the CarFax: Fahrzeughistorien für Autos aus EU & USA

I’ve never personally bought a used car before, and those damn wheels are going to be a nightmare. My friend had an R32 and that thing was madness. He very nearly killed himself in it.
My brother in Christ, no. Airbags = no.

Do yourself a favor and look into the Genesis G70. The 3.3T variant with AWD is incredibly fun. Throw a piggyback tune on it and its a God damn blast.

Plus, far more luxurious than a VW AND you get far better reliability.

Reactions: Synergy27

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

I mostly buy used cars. I'm a car guy. I do 90% of work myself so I'm probably a bit more confident than some when buying used. Looking at that car fax the person got hit on 3 out of 4 corners of the car. That is a bit unlucky. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad