Carrying three goalies? or What to Do When Woll Comes Back?

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
We've got some time to kill here with the break.

So, when Woll returns from injury, what then? If I am following correctly, and correct me if I'm wrong, Jones is no longer an emergency recall by virtue of time spent on roster, and needs to clear waivers to go down. I submit that there virtually no chance he clears, someone is taking him.

What's the move, it's a tough one. Carry three? Jones being available as a safety valve seems to important to chance losing, no? You can only do that if you are ready to go Hildeby as number 3, and they don't seem to want to do that. Sammy is still waiver exempt for 11 days, but he's not going back down presumably.

Trade?

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
You probably waive Jones (it's nothing personal/please don't come at me). Putting confidence in Woll/Samsonov is a recipe for success. It is risky, but it has to he done. One has to stay healthy, and one has to be confident in their ability. The playoffs will be their moment. I wish Jones all the best.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Jones will watch unless needed.

Not ideal though really ,But maybe the lesser of two evils?

Someone else would have to go down for the roster space. Knies and Holmberg exempt, can't see either of them going. Waive Lagesson, does he get through? Probably? If you lose him there's not much else on the Marlies, they are already only carrying six. D down there. Lajoie next on depth chart you'd guess.

Even if the right answer is Reaves I'd be shocked to see them do that.
You probably waive Jones (it's nothing personal/please don't come at me). Putting confidence in Woll/Samsonov is a recipe for success. It is risky, but it has to he done. One has to stay healthy, and one has to be confident in their ability. The playoffs will be their moment. I wish Jones all the best.

And this is the other side of the decision. High risk high reward option we'll call it? I'm actually not sure what the reward is considering it as I type. What does this enable that is otherwise undoable?

I suppose not risking a D to waivers is what it does.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think we carry all three goalies… the key for me though is they don’t hand the keys over to Woll right away. I’m not sure what we have in Samsonov either, so this isn’t a vote of confidence or anything but if Sammy is playing even remotely well, they have to make it a competition. I don’t really trust Woll’s durability, so we can’t torpedo Samsonov’s confidence and put all eggs into one basket.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Who knows if the rest of the team will be entirely healthy by the time Woll is ready to return? I'd prefer to retain the goalie depth as things currently stand though.

Reactions: banks

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
IIRC Samsonov is still waiver exempt until February 9th, so it's not like they're in a "carry 3 goalies or waive a goalie" type of bind.

You're right there, but they aren't going to send him down, we can assume that exemption is going to expire with him still here.

Reactions: arso40

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
When needed, you can waive Jones. I like the guy, and I thank him for playing so good when he was needed. But he signed here knowing he might spend a lot of time in the AHL. And he might be glad to hit the wire because his strong stretch might result in him joining another team that will use him in the NHL.

Samsonov and Woll are in the lineup if they're healthy. Sammy's rough stretch and demotion earlier aren't enough to pull the plug on his career unless he tanks even more from here.

Reactions: arso40 and Buds17

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Jones will probably do what he was hired to do and fill in for Sammy or Woll if needed - staying on the roster out of circumstance.

Only other path I see is if Sammy is moved to clear cap in the event a long term RD opportunity comes up that requires space, and we continue to balance the present and future.

Mar 26, 2010
Good chance they carry all 3. No one knows how bulletproof Woll’s health will be upon return.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
They have to carry Jones as a safety net now. Woll is injury prone and who knows how well he will play after a 2 month absence. Some say the high ankle sprain isn't an easy injury to come back from and not let it bother you for a while still.

Hope Samsonov's brain has re-set and he'll be good from now on.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
When needed, you can waive Jones. I like the guy, and I thank him for playing so good when he was needed. But he signed here knowing he might spend a lot of time in the AHL. And he might be glad to hit the wire because his strong stretch might result in him joining another team that will use him in the NHL.

Samsonov and Woll are in the lineup if they're healthy. Sammy's rough stretch and demotion earlier aren't enough to pull the plug on his career unless he tanks even more from here.

There’s no way they waive Jones with the possibility that Sammy could go bezerk and Woll could get hurt again.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I believe Rittich can go back down to the AHL?

I wonder if LAK would consider Jones for Rittich and 2025 pick (4-5th?)

Not sure if it's enough of an upgrade for them to do it.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Carry three goalies as long as possible and avoid the question as long as possible.

Jones has been way more consistent this season, but Sammy when he's 'on' is definitely the better goalie
Jones has a pretty solid playoff pedigree. Not just the numbers but Sammy had a softy each game last year. Between the three of them, might want Woll and the vet Jones going into the playoffs if you had to choose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad