GDT: Carolina Hurricanes Vs Montreal Canadiens

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
To me, it was a typical Habs game. Intense "pond hockey" where we hit lightly and try to force the game into the opposition area. Our players are small, fast and well suited for that kind of game. When we slow down, we can be dominated (2nd period).

I'm not that familiar with your team, but from what I saw, you have one really good line and then trail to average. Your defense is mobile but not rough or mean. You need some improvements so your management needs to decide if it's going to go the Habs/Pens way or the Leafs/Bruins way.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
To me, it was a typical Habs game. Intense "pond hockey" where we hit lightly and try to force the game into the opposition area. Our players are small, fast and well suited for that kind of game. When we slow down, we can be dominated (2nd period).

I'm not that familiar with your team, but from what I saw, you have one really good line and then trail to average. Your defense is mobile but not rough or mean. You need some improvements so your management needs to decide if it's going to go the Habs/Pens way or the Leafs/Bruins way.

Likely because we're a garbage market in a city that doesn't deserve a hockey team.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012

Your take is pretty much on, although I would call the secondary scoring on this team well above average. The Jordan Staal/Skinner line is just not working right now, and when Jokinen plays center he cannot score. If Ruutu were not injured this lineup would look much different. Hell if Nash were not injured it would look much different.

The main problem with this team is not a lack of talent or chemistry, or even grit. It's injuries. Too many key players on this team are injury-prone. It might be time for JR to take a long look at Pitkanen, Ruutu and even Skinner and make some tough decisions because the budget problem is not going away.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
My issue with Westgarth/insert goon here is that JR is about 12 years too late. This team didn't have a goon when a goon was necessary and now that they are being phased out he goes and trades assets (and detriments) for one.

That said, I know tarheel was already pissed off that Westgarth didn't respond in the first period to the **** Skinner got. He played 1 early shift for a total of 0:32 so that might give us an insight as to who might be to blame for his lack of "productivity", so to speak.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Thanks for reminding me that we acquired him in the process of paying the Kings to fix a different mistake :laugh:

True.

Even if he were playing enough to actually be a presence on the ice, he's too poor a skater to check effectively.

A Jim Rutherford special.

He can do it, but he isn't doing it, so what actual role is he playing?

I just don't see a defense of him in that line. At all. He's either doing the job or he isn't. It's a simple role. If he isn't doing it, why is he even in the NHL? There are literally thousands of people who are better hockey players, and thousands more who are just as good AND are willing to fight for an NHL paycheck.

Last night was the final straw for me. If the guy won't step in when Skinner is out there getting run and manhandled by the likes of Prust, he needs to find another line of work. I haven't been this embarrassed of a Hurricane since Boulerice.

Agree with all you have posted but it's ultimately up to Muller to send him out there to do his job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad