Confirmed with Link: Carolina Hurricanes Sale - He Dundon it.

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net
I feel like a variant of this post makes up half of what I've posted here in the last few years, but I'll put it out there again: Rightly or wrongly, I cannot conceive of a new arena being built in Raleigh that is not in a walkable urban area, likely downtown. It is a now an overwhelming multi-decade trend in sports and it is consistent with the mindset of the city and regional governments. It is also consistent with the demographic trends in a region that is continuing to grow rapidly but reaching the realistic limits of how much it can sprawl. We are in the midst of a nationwide return to cities, and yes it is led by millennials and who knows what they will do as they age, but looking at the entire history of human existence worldwide, the American style of development from roughly the 1950s to 1990s is the exception, not the norm. And it's especially important to consider that when we talk about a new arena, it's not in the Raleigh of today, but the Raleigh of 10 years ago or even beyond. Picture just how much has changed in Raleigh since 2007 and imagine extending that to 2027. It's going to be unrecognizable. I'm not sure anything exemplifies it more than this announcement from a couple days ago. To have a large-scale independent grocery store in downtown Raleigh was inconceivable ten years ago, and this one is going to be in addition to a Harris Teeter at Seaboard Station. It is a real neighborhood now, not just a place to go out on Friday nights.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Rightly or wrongly, I cannot conceive of a new arena being built in Raleigh that is not in a walkable urban area, likely downtown.

I agree with you here (and the rest of your post). However, I don't see the State/county/city giving up on the PNC arena for a new stadium any time soon. This discussion of where the next arena should be is about a decade or more premature. In fact, the Centennial Authority is considering an upgrade/renovation of the current place in the 10s of millions of dollars if I remember correctly.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I came in here to congratulate you guys. But now I am confused. I think that the arena lease is a big part of why this sale could happen. What has come up that has you all talking about a new arena? Please fill me in. I feel like I missed something.
Hypothetical pie in the sky ideal setting of a future arena

The team isn't moving out of PNC aaaaanytime soon. But unfortunately, it is a bit of a remote venue in the area, and that fact leads to tangents.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I feel like a variant of this post makes up half of what I've posted here in the last few years, but I'll put it out there again: Rightly or wrongly, I cannot conceive of a new arena being built in Raleigh that is not in a walkable urban area, likely downtown. It is a now an overwhelming multi-decade trend in sports and it is consistent with the mindset of the city and regional governments. It is also consistent with the demographic trends in a region that is continuing to grow rapidly but reaching the realistic limits of how much it can sprawl. We are in the midst of a nationwide return to cities, and yes it is led by millennials and who knows what they will do as they age, but looking at the entire history of human existence worldwide, the American style of development from roughly the 1950s to 1990s is the exception, not the norm. And it's especially important to consider that when we talk about a new arena, it's not in the Raleigh of today, but the Raleigh of 10 years ago or even beyond. Picture just how much has changed in Raleigh since 2007 and imagine extending that to 2027. It's going to be unrecognizable. I'm not sure anything exemplifies it more than this announcement from a couple days ago. To have a large-scale independent grocery store in downtown Raleigh was inconceivable ten years ago, and this one is going to be in addition to a Harris Teeter at Seaboard Station. It is a real neighborhood now, not just a place to go out on Friday nights.

Don't forget about the Publix that's going on Peace Street as well.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
I came in here to congratulate you guys. But now I am confused. I think that the arena lease is a big part of why this sale could happen. What has come up that has you all talking about a new arena? Please fill me in. I feel like I missed something.

we want downtown arena, after current arena is old and falling apart one day

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

Nothing. We are just having Nashville envy. Nothing is being talked about seriously. This has as much of stake in reality as the JT to the Canes talk that we like to promote has.

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net
I agree with you here (and the rest of your post). However, I don't see the State/county/city giving up on the PNC arena for a new stadium any time soon. This discussion of where the next arena should be is about a decade or more premature. In fact, the Centennial Authority is considering an upgrade/renovation of the current place in the 10s of millions of dollars if I remember correctly.
I agree. I think they'll be right where they are for a long time. And who knows, maybe in the meantime that area could finally evolve into a hub of activity as was originally envisioned a couple decades ago, making it more logical to keep things right where they are. But it's hard to see that happening without the light rail station.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
And in fact almost certainly have already changed dramatically. Those numbers are from the 2010 Census, so there's 7 years of rapid downtown growth missing.

And 7 years of equally rapid growth in Cary, Morrisville, Durham, etc. It all offsets.

There's no real talk of a new arena. It's a pipe dream held by some around here but there's no plans for one and the Centennial Authority has plasn to put more money into upgrades at PNC. Someone mentioned moving downtown and somebody else took the ball and ran with it with faux outrage.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
It needs to be quite a few tens of millions. The ESA was awesome when it opened back in 1999, and they did well to somewhat keep up with the times, but they've been blown past in regards to arena upgrades in other NHL and NBA arenas over the past 10 years or so. The idea for that outside bar was a good one, and it would be a nice start, but we are lagging a bit behind right now.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I agree. I think they'll be right where they are for a long time. And who knows, maybe in the meantime that area could finally evolve into a hub of activity as was originally envisioned a couple decades ago, making it more logical to keep things right where they are. But it's hard to see that happening without the light rail station.

Light rail might help. The State selling off a bunch of the land around the arena would help more...but that is less likely than light rail in the South.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I am heavily biased. I live in Chapel Hill probably 10 minutes from Pittsboro. I take 540 and 64 to and from work. I get no traffic...ever. I can also take back roads all the way to work. I work near Lenovo HQ near the airport. I guess I just hate traffic. I live in a surburban mega neighborhood. I have a gorgous blonde hair blue eyed baby, a beautiful blonde former NC state gymnist as a wife, and a great dane that is getting old and senile. Challenge this dog in the open terrain and you will face her wraith.

I guess I am a stereotypical american. Living the dread=m. One day at a time.

We have strikingly similar lives...

I live in Holly Springs. I take 540 and 54 to and from work. I get no traffic...ever. I can also take back roads all the way to work. I work off Emperor Blvd near the airport. I guess I just hate traffic. I live in a suburban medium sized neighborhood. I have a gorgeous, blond hair blue eyed 2 year old, a beautiful brunette former NC state cheerleader as a wife, and a doxle that is getting old, not quite senile. Challenge this dog in the open terrain and she'll doggy zoomy circles around you.

I guess I am a stereotypical American. Living the dream. One day at a time.

:eek:

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
We have strikingly similar lives...

I live in Holly Springs. I take 540 and 54 to and from work. I get no traffic...ever. I can also take back roads all the way to work. I work off Emperor Blvd near the airport. I guess I just hate traffic. I live in a suburban medium sized neighborhood. I have a gorgeous, blond hair blue eyed 2 year old, a beautiful brunette former NC state cheerleader as a wife, and a doxle that is getting old, not quite senile. Challenge this dog in the open terrain and she'll doggy zoomy circles around you.

I guess I am a stereotypical American. Living the dream. One day at a time.

:eek:

Wow we do live similar lives!

*bro fist

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
Potential changes in tax law may affect this, yes? If cities/states can no longer benefit from municipal bonds to build stadiums/arenas, does that change things? Would monies have to be put up 100% by the team/owners?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad