Confirmed with Link: Carlyle FIRED

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I'm glad they canned Carlyle but did they have to do the day after the juniors win the championship? The leafs organization demonstrates a lack of class by stealing the spotlight away from those kids and that's pretty sad.

:shakehead:

Here I am thinking it was good to make the decision today and not yesterday (Taking the spotlight away from the Juniors).

The Juniors are done. Changes need to be made. Move on.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Actually, I'd love to see something, heck anything, where anyone says that Phil is an amazing guy to coach. Got anything? No? Thought so.

Btw, just like Feschuk's article before start of season, this claim hasn't been refuted by Leafs either. ;)

No there is nothing, but head in the sand and refusing to believe the evidence....former coaches and team mates stating the same thing....and it is still not believed by some:shakehead

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Oh come on they could've waited till tonight to do it. It's not like a coaching change is really going to affect the on ice product anyway.

You can't be serious.

Should there be a 24 hour wait to announce anything after the WJC is finished?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm glad they canned Carlyle but did they have to do the day after the juniors win the championship? The leafs organization demonstrates a lack of class by stealing the spotlight away from those kids and that's pretty sad.

Oh come on they could've waited till tonight to do it. It's not like a coaching change is really going to affect the on ice product anyway.

Good one. :laugh:

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Actually, I'd love to see something, heck anything, where anyone says that Phil is an amazing guy to coach. Got anything? No? Thought so.

Btw, just like Feschuk's article before start of season, this claim hasn't been refuted by Leafs either. ;)

Patrick Kane once said that Phil was the most skilled forward he's ever played with. Usually you don't hear how amazing a guy is to coach until his career is over. They didn't refute the claims because they are being made by Dave Feschuk and Bill Watters :facepalm:

Kessley Snipes*

That is not on Kessel, he is simply just one very talented player who is just not good enough. But replace him with, lets say Parise and this team make the playoffs. Because a star player who dont listen to the coaches and is showing fear of getting hit when he plays is sending all the wrong signals to the rest of the team.

Because that is what he is. A selfish little boy. I dont care about his talents, they mean very little to me since his flaws are greater then his skills.

You were doing so well until you decided to mention Parise and the fact Phil doesn't get hit.

Are you going to sit here and tell me you want Phil to try and get hit because it will make him a complete player in your eyes? Because he is elusive and durable, those are things that go towards his character because he isn't like Joffrey Lupul and getting destroyed every time he is touched?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
:shakehead:

Here I am thinking it was good to make the decision today and not yesterday (Taking the spotlight away from the Juniors).

The Juniors are done. Changes need to be made. Move on.

It was done yesterday.....but not announce until today....Carlyle was not at practice yesterday.

Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis said he fired coach Randy Carlyle late Monday night, with a message to the players to return consistency to their performance.

Carlyle was absent from the Leafs’ outdoor practice Monday, causing some to speculate he had been fired. However, the Leafs said Carlyle had a doctor’s appointment.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Obviously I understand that this is not a quick and easy fix which is why this issue needs to be addressed in the draft in the next few years. I don't think the Leafs could afford to lose Kessel in a trade right now.

Yes they could. Kessel for Jones + 1st (or just Jones), Top 5 pick because now we have no star player. Profit. If Nashville is willing to do that we just effectively set up our top pairing blue line for the next 10 years + Think Kieth and Seabrook. We draft a center in the top 5 and we can finally build the right way. With franchise defense men and franchise centers

Rielly, Jones, Kadri, Nylander, Strome or Marner (McDavid if we lucked out). Yeah we'd be set for the future with multiple core players that can bring it (unlike now where Kessel has to carry the team).

Kessley Snipes*

Did you watch hockeycentral at noon? All they talked about was Carlyle with a passing mention of the juniors, that's all I'm saying whether you agree or not.

So the team should concern itself with the WJHC and let Carlyle coach a game when they've decided to fire him?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Did you watch hockeycentral at noon? All they talked about was Carlyle with a passing mention of the juniors, that's all I'm saying whether you agree or not.

What more is there to be said about the Juniors? They won, it's over with.

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
Patrick Kane once said that Phil was the most skilled forward he's ever played with. Usually you don't hear how amazing a guy is to coach until his career is over. They didn't refute the claims because they are being made by Dave Feschuk and Bill Watters :facepalm:

How very convenient to say that!?! :laugh:

Kessel has skill?!?! Waatt?? I never knew it! :sarcasm: Everyone knows he has skill. That says nothing about him being not lazy. ;)

Regarding Feschuck piece, let me rephrase it. Leafs pretty much accepted that what was stated in that piece was true.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
But I blame Burke and Nonis for putting together the team we now have. That is not on Kessel, he is simply just one very talented player who is just not good enough. But replace him with, lets say Parise and this team make the playoffs.

Replace Kessel with Parise and we're in the playoffs? I highly doubt that.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
You were doing so well until you decided to mention Parise and the fact Phil doesn't get hit.

Are you going to sit here and tell me you want Phil to try and get hit because it will make him a complete player in your eyes? Because he is elusive and durable, those are things that go towards his character because he isn't like Joffrey Lupul and getting destroyed every time he is touched?

I want him to play as a hockey player. Hockey players takes hit all the times to make plays. Kessel avoid hits and thus avoids making plays. He is a soft little selfish player that is the opposite of a player like Parise who play all zones, show commitment, passion and anything else you would expect from a hockey player.

Kessel is not playing or acting like a grown up man and he is 27 years old. Not a guy you win with.

EmergencyExit

Aug 9, 2011
Toronto
This won't magically fix the team but it is definitely a step in the right direction. It wasn't working, and hasn't been working for a while now.

If the same problems continue under a third coaching regime you have to start consider moving out core pieces.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I blame Kessel for not trying hard enough to be a complete player. I dont like him or his attitude and think he is one of those guys you can NOT win with.

But I blame Burke and Nonis for putting together the team we now have. That is not on Kessel, he is simply just one very talented player who is just not good enough. But replace him with, lets say Parise and this team make the playoffs. Because a star player who dont listen to the coaches and is showing fear of getting hit when he plays is sending all the wrong signals to the rest of the team. That he also blame every one around him but him self when things are not going his way is also something that makes him less of man and player.

Because that is what he is. A selfish little boy. I dont care about his talents, they mean very little to me since his flaws are greater then his skills. Send him somewhere else and let him be him and allow us for a fresh start. I dont even care much for what the return will be. A decent pick and a decent prospect, fine, make the deal. Just get him off the team.

Did he pee in your Corn Flakes or something? Relax, he's just a hockey player after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad