Confirmed with Link: Carlsson on the way to the States from Sweden

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Jackets officially assign him to Cleveland

For now....bet a buck that he will be on the Werenski path....end the season in Cleveland, start next year with the big club.

...have a feeling that Murray and a forward may be on the move this off-season. (Matt Duchesne, come on down!)

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
For now....bet a buck that he will be on the Werenski path....end the season in Cleveland, start next year with the big club.

...have a feeling that Murray and a forward may be on the move this off-season. (Matt Duchesne, come on down!)

I could see something like this possibly happening... or they think Vegas may take Jack Johnson, and then slot Carlsson on the third pair and move Murray with Savard?

I have been curious about this guy. He has been very under the radar as I imagine pretty much all defensive dmen are, so I am very excited to watch him in Cleveland once or twice (and hopefully playoffs).

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I could see something like this possibly happening... or they think Vegas may take Jack Johnson, and then slot Carlsson on the third pair and move Murray with Savard?

I have been curious about this guy. He has been very under the radar as I imagine pretty much all defensive dmen are, so I am very excited to watch him in Cleveland once or twice (and hopefully playoffs).

I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of moving pieces with the defense this summer.

I JJ is taken by Vegas (which I doubt), I think we'll be looking at splitting up Jones and Z similar to how the Hawks deploy Seabrook and Keith for 50+ minutes a game. That would most likely mean the pairs would be:

Murray-Jones
Werenski-Savard
Carlsson/Nuti/Harrington/Quincey(?)

If JJ isn't taken and Murray is packaged in a trade to bring in a forward like Duchene...

Werenski-Jones
Johnson-Savard
Harrington/Nuti/Carlsson/Quincey(?...but probably more likely in this scenario)

Either way, I really like our backend moving forward :yo:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I think the D pairs remain the same.

Werenski-Jones
Johnson-Savard
Nuti-Murray
Harrington

Carlsson probably needs a season in the AHL with spot call-up duty.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Don't forget Gavrikov also got offered a deal to come over. That leaves room for a Murray trade and a bottom pairing with Carlsson/Gav/Harrington/Q

I've really liked Q's play since he has been so I'm hoping he stays.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
It's too early to slot either Carlsson or Gavrikov into the NHL. Gavrikov might not want to play in the AHL when he could be playing in the KHL, but the ideal should be to develop them properly with a season in the AHL. The CBJ are at a point where they can hopefully develop players slowly and not have to rush them.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
It's too early to slot either Carlsson or Gavrikov into the NHL. Gavrikov might not want to play in the AHL when he could be playing in the KHL, but the ideal should be to develop them properly with a season in the AHL. The CBJ are at a point where they can hopefully develop players slowly and not have to rush them.

I hear what you are saying but Marcus Nutivaara came over from the SEL and contributed, I think Carlsson and Gavrikov can both likely make the jump to the NHL - if that is not the plan leave them in Sweden and Russia.

Carlsson was assigned to the Monsters at 1:00pm today - are they in the playoff picture?

Last edited:

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012
I hear what you are saying but Marcus Nutivaara came over from the SEL and contributed, I think Carlsson and Gavrikov can both likely make the jump to the NHL - if that is not the plan leave them in Sweden and Russia.

Carlsson was assigned to the Monsters at 1:00pm today - are they in the playoff picture?
They have a very tenuous hold on 8th in the conference.

It might be a couple games before Carlsson gets into their lineup.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH

Nutivaara was also 22 to start the year, that might have played a part in being ready to contribute.. Carlsson is also 6'4" and 190 pounds. Was seen as a 4-5 year development pick at the time of the draft, get bigger. From the looks of it, he put on 10 pounds in the last 1.5 years. I can't tell ya if he's ready or not, along with many others on here, since we can't actually watch him really play besides World Junior's.. But, my view is- If his season is over in the SHL now and he wants to play more hockey in North America, why not bring him over to Cleveland to get a better look at him. This will provide a good indicator if he's ready to play in the NHL next season or needs more fine-tuning to his body/game. If he's not ready, i imagine we can loan him over to Sweden again or keep him in Cleveland where we can have a more watchful eye on his development as he hopefully gets closer (if they desire).. I just like to be cautious on the way I project these prospects into NHL rosters, especially since our D-men in the NHL are set up very well, could change of course.

Yes, Cleveland is in the playoff picture now. They did have a long losing streak of sorts, couldn't score a goal. But, they have won like 5 in a row now, and sit slightly ahead of the Charlotte Checkers now. They still have their work cut out for them in making it, but they are in the picture.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I am excited to see him play over here. So little is really known about his game.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Carlsson is far too skinny and raw to be on the "Werenski path." He's a virtual certainty for AHL duty next year.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Carlsson is far too skinny and raw to be on the "Werenski path." He's a virtual certainty for AHL duty next year.
How big does he need to be..? Eliteprospects already has him listed near 200 pounds and he can gain quite a bit over the summer.

Besides, his game isn't focused on being a bruising, physically imposing defenseman a la Savard. His strengths are his mobility and hockey sense. He doesn't need to be the size of a mountain to be effective with that style of play.

To clarify, I'm not saying that he won't be destined for the AHL next season. I just don't think he's that small and raw.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

He has the same build as Pietrangelo / Jones. For all you know he could be heavier than those guys next fall. I have no idea where he will play.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
How big does he need to be..? Eliteprospects already has him listed near 200 pounds and he can gain quite a bit over the summer.

Besides, his game isn't focused on being a bruising, physically imposing defenseman a la Savard. His strengths are his mobility and hockey sense. He doesn't need to be the size of a mountain to be effective with that style of play.

To clarify, I'm not saying that he won't be destined for the AHL next season. I just don't think he's that small and raw.

Maybe he has gotten bigger but the kid I saw at development camp was not 200. He was a rail. If he's 200 then he will at least compete for a spot (depending on who is still here determines his chances), but I still think AHL duty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad