Prospect Info: Carl Klingberg

jetkarma*

Because he can contribute offensively at that level, OR if he can effectively crash and bang. My money would be on the first.

But I might be wrong since most people on here seem to think he will be the next Lucic! Don't go missing the sarcasm now...

We'll ignore "most" , name one who thinks he is Lucic Jr.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
No one thinks he's lucic. Lab lite you either don't understand the basic concept of cause and effect, honestly believe a person can only play hockey a certain way because of what hospital they're born in, or your just trolling us hard.

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg
No one has made anything close to a comment saying that Klingberg will be anything like Lucic. The issue is with your apparent lack of ability to recognize that there have been Swedish players that have made the NHL and stayed there because of their physical play alone. If you think Doug Murray has sick mitts, there is some property on Mars I'd like to sell you...

OK, I surrender... Yup, you indeed may have found one that may have been a crash and bang type of Swede that made the chell without any hands. Not to much trouble finding that type of role player around the dub IMO. Certainly nothing to write home about or to aspire our draft picks to grow into.

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg
No one thinks he's lucic. Lab lite you either don't understand the basic concept of cause and effect, honestly believe a person can only play hockey a certain way because of what hospital they're born in, or your just trolling us hard.

Swedes base their game on skill, not crashing and banging, (in fact, Europeans in general do) which is a great attribute IMO, and being raised in a country where the emphasis is on skill, it only makes sense that they do develop that part of the game ahead of anything else. Very, very few swedes come here and succeed as crashers and bangers. I'm sure you can agree with me on that. Nothing to do with who's bed their shoes were under for most of their lives.

Merely stated this in my original post that IMO, Klingberg, if he makes it, will in all likelyhood will be due to his offensive skill and production, not his physicality. Odds prove this overwhelmingly IMO.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Swedes base their game on skill, not crashing and banging, (in fact, Europeans in general do) which is a great attribute IMO, and being raised in a country where the emphasis is on skill, it only makes sense that they do develop that part of the game ahead of anything else. Very, very few swedes come here and succeed as crashers and bangers. I'm sure you can agree with me on that. Nothing to do with who's bed their shoes were under for most of their lives.

Merely stated this in my original post that IMO, Klingberg, if he makes it, will in all likelyhood will be due to his offensive skill and production, not his physicality. Odds prove this overwhelmingly IMO.

Yes, and we're also blonde, have blue eyes, and are beautiful. Despite this, I have several Swedish friends that are not blonde, nor do they have blue eyes. Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder, so I won't comment on that.

Their future life partners will marry Swedes, and odds are therefore overwhelming that they will marry a person with blue eyes and blonde hair. Despite this, my hazel eyed, brown hair friend's future wife will not have a blonde and blue eyed husband.

I'm quite happy with this analogy. Do you understand what I'm saying?

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg
Yes, and we're also blonde, have blue eyes, and are beautiful. Despite this, I have several Swedish friends that are not blonde, nor do they have blue eyes. Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder, so I won't comment on that.

Their future life partners will marry Swedes, and odds are therefore overwhelming that they will marry a person with blue eyes and blonde hair. Despite this, my hazel eyed, brown hair friend's future wife will not have a blonde and blue eyed husband.

I'm quite happy with this analogy. Do you understand what I'm saying?

Yes indeed, Klingberg may end up having brown hair, unlikely though. If he marries in North America and has children who grow up playing the North American style throughout their minor hockey and beyond, more likely that they may end up crashing and banging.... Would be sad to see though as the finness and skill game is very nice to watch! Do you understand what I'm saying?

Klinger

I was saying Boourns
Aug 27, 2013
PEI
train-wreck-o.gif

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Yes indeed, Klingberg may end up having brown hair, unlikely though. If he marries in North America and has children who grow up playing the North American style throughout their minor hockey and beyond, more likely that they may end up crashing and banging.... Would be sad to see though as the finness and skill game is very nice to watch! Do you understand what I'm saying?

Okay, screw the analogy. I don't know if you're just straight up trolling me, or if you really don't understand, but I'll try again.

If we would get a random Swede to our team in 5 years, and none of us knew at this point who this Swede was, I would be inclined to agree with you that it would be a good chance that he wasn't a crash and banger, but rather a player relying on high hockey IQ, skating and finesse.

I'm not extreme to the point where I don't see that people from different places in the world have different tendensies, aswell as men and women have different tendensies as groups.

But we're not talking about a random player here. We're talking about a well scouted player, with known weaknesses and strengths, who isn't going to magically change into a player who makes it into the NHL on pure offensive skills alone. Klingberg don't have the skillset to make it to the NHL without playing a physical up tempo game. He is just not that player. Despite there being many Swedish hockey players in the NHL who are.

It's the same as with several of the defensive defensemen I mentioned. Just because we have a lot of offensive defensemen doesn't mean that Mattias Norström ever had the chance of making it to the NHL by making slick passes and highlight reel goals. Despite this, he managed to play in the NHL for 14 seasons, and become a captain for the Kings.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Okay, screw the analogy. I don't know if you're just straight up trolling me, or if you really don't understand, but I'll try again.

If we would get a random Swede to our team in 5 years, and none of us knew at this point who this Swede was, I would be inclined to agree with you that it would be a good chance that he wasn't a crash and banger, but rather a player relying on high hockey IQ, skating and finesse.

I'm not extreme to the point where I don't see that people from different places in the world have different tendensies, aswell as men and women have different tendensies as groups.

But we're not talking about a random player here. We're talking about a well scouted player, with known weaknesses and strengths, who isn't going to magically change into a player who makes it into the NHL on pure offensive skills alone. Klingberg don't have the skillset to make it to the NHL without playing a physical up tempo game. He is just not that player. Despite there being many Swedish hockey players in the NHL who are.

It's the same as with several of the defensive defensemen I mentioned. Just because we have a lot of offensive defensemen doesn't mean that Mattias Norström ever had the chance of making it to the NHL by making slick passes and highlight reel goals. Despite this, he managed to play in the NHL for 14 seasons, and become a captain for the Kings.

Exactly!

Your relying on the "base" information (which i agree would probably be right 90% of the time, if you didn't have any more information) but we have more information.

i agree. if i knew nothing about a hockey player and he was from sweden i would assume if he were to make the NHL it would be as a more finess player. The problem is, what your saying lab lit is, him being from sweden is more important then the other information we have available (such as actually ****ing watching the kid). Which is ridiculous.

Watch him. He's not a finess player. He's a grinder. and if he makes it in the NHL it will be as a grinder. Because id on't think anyone magically developed silky mitts where they had none at the age of 22

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg
Exactly!

Your relying on the "base" information (which i agree would probably be right 90% of the time, if you didn't have any more information) but we have more information.

i agree. if i knew nothing about a hockey player and he was from sweden i would assume if he were to make the NHL it would be as a more finess player. The problem is, what your saying lab lit is, him being from sweden is more important then the other information we have available (such as actually ****ing watching the kid). Which is ridiculous.

Watch him. He's not a finess player. He's a grinder. and if he makes it in the NHL it will be as a grinder. Because id on't think anyone magically developed silky mitts where they had none at the age of 22

Sorry, I watch the Jets as much as anybody and unless someone has gone to see him play in Sweden I think that I have him play, albeit limited due to his not sticking around for a few games.

Although scouting reports indicate that he is such a player, I cannot say that I noticed that myself. He is fast though. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one and wait to see if/when he makes it and see what he ends up being known for. To me, it will be largely based on his hockey smarts and skillset if indeed he can develop to the point where it helps him to stick around.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Sorry, I watch the Jets as much as anybody and unless someone has gone to see him play in Sweden I think that I have him play, albeit limited due to his not sticking around for a few games.

Although scouting reports indicate that he is such a player, I cannot say that I noticed that myself. He is fast though. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one and wait to see if/when he makes it and see what he ends up being known for. To me, it will be largely based on his hockey smarts and skillset if indeed he can develop to the point where it helps him to stick around.

Klingberg is known for his gritty style - why not join some of the other posters, and watch a few IceCaps games on AHL Live?

If he were to make the NHL, it certainly won't be based on his finesse, as he's NOT a finesse player. You are welcome to disagree with a fact, I guess. :dunno:

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Well this is the most absurd conversation I've seen in a while.
Klingberg is a grinder through and through. Period.
If he makes it to the NHL based on his "skills" our team would REALLY REALLY be lacking skill players.

Not disparaging him, but he's not a finesse player.

Also the idea of judging players based on their place of birth is ridiculous.
If you watched Klingberg play with no name on his jersey I ASSURE you, you wouldn't think he was from Sweden.

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg
Well this is the most absurd conversation I've seen in a while.
Klingberg is a grinder through and through. Period.
If he makes it to the NHL based on his "skills" our team would REALLY REALLY be lacking skill players.

Not disparaging him, but he's not a finesse player.

Call me crazy, but my money is him not making it if that's really what he turns out to be..

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Call me crazy, but my money is him not making it if that's really what he turns out to be..

Thats fair.
He's no different than any other 4th line prospect.
I wouldn't bet on any player who's value is based on effort and not skill.

But if you think he won't make it because he's Swedish, thats stupid.

I will take Klingberg over Lukas Sutter to make the NHL, and they play very similar games.
And I'm not picking the Canadian.

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg
Thats fair.
He's no different than any other 4th line prospect.
I wouldn't bet on any player who's value is based on effort and not skill.

But if you think he won't make it because he's Swedish, thats stupid.

I will take Klingberg over Lukas Sutter to make the NHL, and they play very similar games.
And I'm not picking the Canadian.

I'd give Klingberg better odds strictly on size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad