Prospect Info: Carl Klingberg

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Would have said no a month ago, but the kid has been surging.

Still not sure he will ever take the next step though.

With his play over the last year or so, I was ready to write him off. Might be worth a gamble on a call-up to reward his recent good play. I used to have high hopes for him - bigger player that can skate, crash and bang. I'm with you though - his time is running out to make a difference and make the next leap.

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg
With his play over the last year or so, I was ready to write him off. Might be worth a gamble on a call-up to reward his recent good play. I used to have high hopes for him - bigger player that can skate, crash and bang. I'm with you though - his time is running out to make a difference and make the next leap.

He's a Swede. Which swede did you last see play a crash and bang game? Really? There may have been aggressive Swedes but none that ever really played a crash and bang type of game IMO.
If Klingberg makes it, it'll be because he can actually play a decent finness, skill related game. If he turned out something like Antropov that would be great..

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Uh have you watched klingberg play? He's not a typical swede at all.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
He's a Swede. Which swede did you last see play a crash and bang game? Really? There may have been aggressive Swedes but none that ever really played a crash and bang type of game IMO.
If Klingberg makes it, it'll be because he can actually play a decent finness, skill related game. If he turned out something like Antropov that would be great..

Klingberg when he was called up.

Jesus, do you seriously believe that where from 100% dictates what types of hockey you can and can't play? That's beyond asinine.

also: Franzens pretty rough and tumbly. Also: Gabriel Landeskog

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

I take it you haven't watched Klingberg play?

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Klingberg wouldn't be a bad option. He's playing for his NHL life essentially. There's no one available that's a clearly better option. Gordon is the most experienced winger, Cormier is a great face-off guy but just too damn slow. Klingberg has talent if he ever realizes it.

One take away from looking at recent Ice Cap highlights, how do they operate an AHL team in Hamilton with a dozen people in the stands? Brutal. Another take away is that we should call-up the coach in charge of the Ice Cap PP.

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg
Klingberg when he was called up.

Jesus, do you seriously believe that where from 100% dictates what types of hockey you can and can't play? That's beyond asinine.

also: Franzens pretty rough and tumbly. Also: Gabriel Landeskog

Can actually count them on less than five fingers over the years. Would welcome it but wouldn't hold my breath he makes it to the bigs with those attributes actually being the reason it. Both Franzens and Landeskog made it due to their skill level and not as a result of their 'crash and bang' capabilities IMO.

Swedes are world class but I've still to see one making the chell on the basis of their rockem sockem play..

Last edited:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Ulf Samuelson was a very skilled hockey player!

And Klingberg is a crash and banger. Not sure what's being argued here. If Klingberg makes it, it won't be because he has soft hands - it's because he skates well, is not afraid of going into the corners, and crashes the net. When he DOESN'T play that game, he's very ineffectual.

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg
So was ( actually very very very ) Peter Forsberg who could and did bang and crash and pay the price , the point is?

Point is that if ever Carl Klingberg makes the bigs it won't be because of his crash and bang style of play IMO...

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Mattias Norström, Andreas Lilja, Ulf Samuelsson, Douglas Murray, Nicklas Grossmann and Mikael Renberg all noted being small skilled players that made the NHL through slick passes and silky mitts.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
This years Klingberg is a breath of fresh air. Please reward him give him a game,he deserve the extra pocket cash. Also a great community guy, sat next to him at a movie not long ago. (For those noting the new hunger games is worth seeing)

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Mattias Norström, Andreas Lilja, Ulf Samuelsson, Douglas Murray, Nicklas Grossmann and Mikael Renberg all noted being small skilled players that made the NHL through slick passes and silky mitts.

Magnus Arvedson, PJ Axelsson. So smooth.

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg

Agreed whole heartedly! THEY WERE SMOOTH WITH SILKY HANDS. But Swedes do not make the NHL with crashing and banging being their main attribute that gets them, nor will it be the case for Karl...

jetkarma*

Point is that if ever Carl Klingberg makes the bigs it won't be because of his crash and bang style of play IMO...

Well he is a long shot , but let's play the game then , if he would make it it would be because:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Agreed whole heartedly! THEY WERE SMOOTH WITH SILKY HANDS. But Swedes do not make the NHL with crashing and banging being their main attribute that gets them, nor will it be the case for Karl...

If my point were a regular sized NHL net, you would be James Wright.

Klinger

I was saying Boourns
Aug 27, 2013
PEI

I think you missed the dripping sarcasm there...

lablite47

Jan 22, 2013
Wpg
Well he is a long shot , but let's play the game then , if he would make it it would be because:

Because he can contribute offensively at that level, OR if he can effectively crash and bang. My money would be on the first.

But I might be wrong since most people on here seem to think he will be the next Lucic! Don't go missing the sarcasm now...

Last edited:

Klinger

I was saying Boourns
Aug 27, 2013
PEI
No one has made anything close to a comment saying that Klingberg will be anything like Lucic. The issue is with your apparent lack of ability to recognize that there have been Swedish players that have made the NHL and stayed there because of their physical play alone. If you think Doug Murray has sick mitts, there is some property on Mars I'd like to sell you...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad